• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CES 2013 - What to expect in terms of gaming

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
ces2013_logom2afj.png

CES 2013, the largest consumer technology tradeshow, kicks off in a just a few days with the expo beginning on the 8th of January.
While CES isn't a huge gaming show it does every year feature at least some notable gaming news. The best example of gaming products
that have debuted at this show is probably Xbox in 2000. Anyway, with all these rumors about the next generation of gaming going on,
I thought it could be convenient with a smaller "guide" of companies that will present in one way or another games or game related products.

The exhibitor directory/floor plans currently has 572 companies under the category Electronic Gaming so I will of course not list all.
Below are the major exhibitors that have a direct link to the interactive entertainment industry.
ces2013_logo_amd6bxs0.png

Booth(s): LVCC, CES Central Plaza - CP-2
LVCC, North Hall Mtg Rms - N242
Palazzo Tower, Hospitality - TBA-102
Venetian Tower, Hospitality - TBA-223

Fifteen brands are announced for display with everything from the ordinary Radeon line to APUs and FirePro.
If anything completely new will be announced or demonstrated, I don't know. But they are probably going to talk
about Sea Islands a bit and most certainly Kaveri, Kabini, Temash and others. If we are lucky
they might hint at inclusion of AMD technology in Durango and/or Orbis.

Their conference will be streamed live, so be sure to check that out:

AMD (NYSE: AMD) will provide a live video webcast of its news conference at the 2013 Consumer Electronics Show (CES) to be held Jan. 7, 2013 at 4 p.m. PT. The conference will demonstrate a range of attractive, high-performance mobile computing and gaming systems reflective of the company’s longer-term strategy to focus on creating differentiated IP leadership.
Source: http://www.amd.com/us/press-releases/Pages/amd_2013_ces.aspx
ces2013_logo_microsofi7xcz.png

Booth(s)/Hospitality Suite: Venetian, Lvl 2 - Veronese 2402

Oh boy, Larry Hryb (Major Nelson) and the gang sure has got us worked up over potentially nothing. Rumors are flowing like crazy
over here (starts post #1070) about private meetings regarding Durango just before CES starts. And other rumors tell to keep focused
on the 6th of January which coincides with the CES Unveiled LAS VEGAS: The Official Press Event of the International CES.

From Microsoft, which backed away from having the annual keynote and a convential booth this year, the only thing mentioned is that they will "have something".
Well, this is mentioned also (was posted in December):

Come back the week of Jan. 8 for photos, news and more about Microsoft products on display at the biggest consumer electronics event of the year.
Source: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/events/ces/

I don't really know what to believe. To unveil the next generation Xbox at CES this year completely contradicts Microsoft's agenda regarding the show (unless it has secretly changed).
The original Xbox was unveiled at CES 2000, as previously mentioned. Xbox 360 was not (that was on MTV). So, will we see anything official when it comes to the flops and buffers of the next Xbox? If I would to bet, I would bet against it. However, leaks are still a possibility and I'd say the chances are quite high.

What Microsoft will use its hospitality suite for is unknown. I sent an inquiry about it but I have not received an answer.
Optimistically it's the place for private sessions for a selected audience to try the new console.
ces2013_logo_nvidiaoha1r.png

Booth(s): LVCC, South Hall 3 - 31265, 31269

NVIDIA will showcase new NVIDIA Tegra mobile technologies, gaming innovations and advanced in-vehicle infotainment and digital instrument cluster technologies for the automotive market.

A live webcast on will be held on Sunday, January 6 at 8:00 PM PST. President, CEO and Co-Founder, Jen-Hsun Huang will host the event. As NVIDIA isn't involved with any of the next generation consoles (except for Ouya) as far as I know, there probably isn't much in that area to expect. Still though, they often have great seminars and very interesting lectures, so there probably will be great opportunities to learn something new.

Source: http://www.nvidia.com/object/ces2013.html
ces2013_logo_sonygaikomls0.png

Booth(s): LVCC, Central Hall - 14200, 14213, 15230, 15231
LVCC, North Hall - 1409
LVCC, South Hall 2 - 26731
Venetian Tower - Suite 30-103, Suite 30-105
Venetian Tower, Hospitality - TBA-235

Out of all the listed, Sony probably has the largest presence at CES. While their focus usually is on the electronics side (televisions, cameras, smartphones etc.) there is always one gaming component on the show floor. Vita was the "focus" last year. As for announcements this year, rumors about a certain Sony Odin smartphone, running the Android OS, have been frequent. Less for a next generation PlayStation though, but just as with Microsoft there might be leaks.

The Sony CES Press Conference will be streamed live On Monday, January 7, starting at 5 p.m. PT.
The conference is usually streamed at the PlayStation Blog as well as Sony's usual CES hub at sony.com/ces/

Also to note is that a live Q&A session will be held after the conference:

We also want you to be part of the conversation so we’re hosting a liveQ
& A just after the press announcements. SGNL by Sony host, Anthony Carboni will be talking
with Sony Corporation President and CEO, Kaz Hirai, and Sony Electronics President and COO, Phil Molyneux,
who will answer your most pressing questions about our newly-announced technologies.
If you’d like to participate, you can ask your questions via Twitter™ using the #SonyCES hashtag.
Now, considering that they mention "your most pressing questions about our newly-announced technologies", they are probably not going to bother answering questions about PlayStation 4 unless that console is unveiled (which is unlikely). Though that doesn't mean we shouldn't bombard them with questions about their plans for next generation. Apart from Twitter, you can also post questions on the Sony blog, scroll down to the bottom to the see the form.

Last but not least, Gaikai must be mentioned. It is listed as a separate exhibitor and is housed in a hospitality suite in the Venetian Tower.
Connected exhibitor categories are:

• Content Distribution > Content Distribution
  • Electronic Gaming > Electronic Gaming
Will we finally see what Sony plans for this, will it be used for a vast library of games for PlayStation and PlayStation 2 etc., or will it just be a general showcase? I don't know, but it would be rather careless of Sony not the utilize this in best way possible.

http://ces13.mapyourshow.com/5_0/exhibitor_details.cfm?exhid=T0008612

Sony's CES hub is at http://blog.sony.com/ces/. The press conference will also be available at Ustream.
ces2013_valve_logofoadc.png

Booth(s): LVCC, South Hall 2 - 25730

Due to the recent news about Steambox, that is probably not going to be featured (not for everyone to see anyway).
So, what will Valve demonstrate? I think mainly what they usually demonstrate - Steam with key titles such as CS: GO and Dota 2.
They are included though in the Exhibitor Category "Computer Hardware & Software > Computer Hardware and Software".
It probably means very little.

As for Freeman, I don't think our red letter day is upon us just yet. He'll be there in our hopes (and fears) however.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

The above are as said the major and most important to gaming, but CES offers so much more besides this. Everything from 4K/8K televisions to
nano robotics, almost all fields of electronics are covered at this show. So even if we may not hear much about the next Xbox and PlayStation,
many other products will absolutely affect the industry as well. With over 3200 exhibitors, there's much to choose from.

Also as a reminder:

CES Unveiled LAS VEGAS: The Official Press
Event of the International CES

January 6, 2013, 4-7 p.m.
Mandalay Bay, Level 3, South Seas Ballroom C
Las Vegas, Nevada

Be the first to see the new year's products at CES Unveiled LAS VEGAS with a preshow look at what
will be making news headlines before the show officially opens. Catch all the latest products in one
room. Plus, get a sneak peek at the product debuts from our Innovations Design and Engineering
Award Honorees.
Source: http://www.cesweb.org/For-The-Press/Press-Events.aspx#5jump

I do not think this will be live streamed, I haven't seen any news about it. If anyone knows what's up, let me know.
This is anyway where the next Xbox was suggested for reveal (by Nukezilla).

And lastly, I might as well mention that the newly appointed President of Panasonic, Kazuhiro Tsuga, will at 8:30 a.m. PST deliver the 2013 CES Opening Keynote Address live. How we will be able to watch it live is currently unknown, but a promo site is available: http://www.panasonic.com/promos/ces/2013

Why is this significant? It doesn't have to be really, but for some reason Panasonic is listed under Electronic Gaming.
Unless they are planning to have another go at the cancelled Jungle console, could it be they are maybe partnering with Microsoft or Sony for something?
We'll know very soon. Besides, it's the opening speech which is usually quite amusing.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

The official webpage of CES: http://www.cesweb.org/
The Verge is the Official Technology News Partner for CES 2013: http://www.theverge.com/ces-2013

PS: I'm aware of Mario007's CES 2013 thread. This thread however concerns mainly gaming so I figured it would be better in Gaming Discussion.​

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
AMD stuff could be very interesting for next-gen speculation. We may get some juicy rumors out of it as well.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm not sure if anyone actually cares, but the only third party related event I can think of at CES is the full unveiling of Tomb Raider's multiplayer.

Mario007

Sony will probably be focusing on Wonderbook or PSM this year when it comes to gaming.

There is a rumour of Sony unveiling a first ever 4K OLED TV as well.

Sony will almost certainly unveil their new global mobile flagship, Xperia Z, with a 5 inch 1080p display and it will thus also function as the flagship PSM phone.

Microsoft doesn't have a booth.

Central room where people have a chance to gather and meet up is not equal to a booth.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I'd say we wait for GDC before getting excited about anything gaming.

If Nintendo follows its trend, Zelda 3DS should be announced then.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'm not sure if anyone actually cares, but the only third party related event I can think of at CES is the full unveiling of Tomb Raider's multiplayer.

More fitting than last year, when Spike's CES coverage was brought to you by Final Fantasy XIII-2™.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Opening keynote which was used to be done by MS is done by Qualcomm this year, not Panasonic.
Really, I just followed the news articles about it? Ok, I'll edit the post then. Thanks for the heads up.

wildfire

Banned
CES is hardly gaming news worthy even though it involves tech that can be used with games.

It's a trade show mostly about televisions and mobile devices being the headliners.

Second billing goes to accessories for anything and everything which is silly but for entrepreneurs with limited budgets being in the accessory market is far easier to do than anything else.

Then after that are PC parts.

One thing I'm expecting to make a big showing (and possibly upset the hierarchy) is tech for automated homes. That should be making a big debut this year.

lefantome

Great topic, i hope someone will spill the details of next gen console to someone else under the effect of alcohol.

legacyzero

Banned
I'd like Sony to at least let some of the cat out of the bag as far as what THEY are going to do for next gen.

Try and beat MS to the punch.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I hate to ask this but....is it streaming for anyone else? I ain't seen nothing yet.
I have looked and looked, but I have not found a live stream of it besides this. It's not streaming for me either. Forbes live blogged in some capacity the State of the Consumer Tech Industry and 2013 CES Trends to Watch, but I don't know about this. And The Verge doesn't seem to be doing any live coverage (of the pre-show anyway).

So, some events already happened... nothing new then? I'm pretty sure there was the opening and some other minor conferences already going on.

Top Bottom