• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable |OT| The Only Good Bug is a Dead Bug

Noi

title1_zps6fde7657.png

• Developer - Sandlot
  • Publisher(s) - D3 Publisher
  • Platform - PlayStation Vita
  • Release - January 8, 2013 [NA], January 16, 2013 [PAL]
  • Availability: Digital [NA/PAL] / Retail [JPN]
  • Price: $ 39.99 /£ 31.99 /€ 39.99

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
|Who are the EDF? |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In 2013, radio waves from deep space are picked up by scientists, proving to humans that they were not alone in the universe. The Earth Defense Force, a unified multinational military sponsored by nearly every country, is founded a few years later, in case the aliens prove to be hostile.

In the year 2017, first contact is made when hundreds of UFOs proceed to hover over every major city across the globe, led by a massive mothership positioned over Tokyo, Japan. The aliens, dubbed Ravagers, initially make no aggressive action towards humanity. You are the Captain of Storm 1, the best Unit in the EDF, and your job is to protect the earth from the Ravager assault at all costs.

8117416352_173f76d482_z.jpg

~~~~~~~~
|Features |
~~~~~~~~

• 60 Missions to play, with 7 new missions exlusive to EDF 2017 Portable!
  • 5 Difficulty Settings, from Easy to Inferno!
  • Over 150 weapons to collect, each with their own set of stats and firepower.
  • Online Co-Op and Versus for up to 4 Players between North American and Europe.
  • Buy the game throughout February 4th and receive 4 additional downloadable weapons for free!

Plus, play as Palewing from EDF2! Pale Wing did not exist in the world of EDF2017, but she came flying from EDF2 into EDF3 Portable to help the troops out against the ravager threat! Palewing requires you to play the game differently, with her flying ability and new gear, so be prepared! Pale Wing has her own set of gear, such as the rapier and laser rifle, adding even more variation to the game’s 150+ weapons.

palewing2_zpse8f994ea.png

~~~~~~
|Media |
~~~~~~

~~~~~~~
|EDFGAF |
~~~~~~~

For easy bug squashing co-op purposes.

• GAF name - PSN ID
    Noi - Noisama
    OmegaZero - OmegaZero663
    Wired All Wrong - MrJellyBean
    nicoga3000 - nicoga3000

8117405205_b4a4e1c5ca.jpg

Now go and defend the Earth!

When I saw this was available on PSN my heart leapt into my chest. When I saw it was $40, my heart sank and I decided to wait for a sale.

Toki767

This OT will consist of 50% price complaints and 50% 'EDF! EDF!' chants.

Next week's EU launch can't come soon enough.

I'm going to say way more than 50% will be about price complaints. They could've at least made it $36 to make it seem like they're giving us a discount.

I hesitated at first when I saw the price. I was hoping at least $29.99. But I pulled the trigger anyway and I definitely don't regret it. Been playing for almost 3 hours non stop.

Camjo-Z

So far this game is delivering on everything I could have wanted from it, bug blasting action is still as ridiculous as ever and the online play works flawlessly. Pale Wing will likely be a blast to play as, just gotta get through those other 55 levels first... and then play them again! The $40 price is ridiculous though, I get the feeling that D3 will crack soon and make a price cut.

Downloading this right now. Loved playing this one on the 360 with a friend, so I'm hoping this version is just as awesome. I only rented back in the day so I didn't have it for very long and I'm no expert at the game, but I'd love to play with some GAFers. PSN name is MrJellyBean.

bunbun777

I am pretty torn between getting and waiting. Ughhhh cmon gaf push me over
the hype cliffs I just know this is going to go on sale but it is super fun right?

Ponn

Banned
not sure if I can hold out for a sale. I only got 20 in my wallet that I didn't spend on Lumines. I'm broke right now though so that may be saving me from dropping $40 and waiting on a sale. Shame, bet it would have sold like gangbusters at $20.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Bought, installed, checked out trophies.
Not as hysterically negligent as the 360's achievements, at least. :)

robox

what? digital only!?? booooo

price needs to be half then

edit:
Buy the game throughout February 4th and receive 4 additional downloadable weapons for free!

40 bucks and still asking for this shit?

CLEEK

Seriously what the fuck were they thinking with this price

I think their rationale behind the price is probably well thought through.

As the early days of XBLA showed, niche games have a limited audience, and that selling games at a low price point doesn't attract a wider enough market to make up for the lower price.

A bunch of indie devs learnt that they should have sold their games at 800pts, rather than 400pts. The core buyers would still have bought it at the higher price point, and the buyers who might have been attracted by the low price just didn't make much difference.

EDF is a niche game that fits this model. It has a very loyal fan base who will buy it, and those sitting on the fence or not familiar with the series aren't a big enough market. They will see more revenue selling it at $40 to 10,000 core fans, than selling it at $20 to 10,000 core fans plus others. The others can buy it if/when if goes on sale at a later date, after they've maximised the full price market.

bender

What time is it?
a digital release of a port of a console game that was $20 when it came out 6 years ago!

Maybe I'm misremembering but I think the 360 version launched at $39.99.

I sank so much time into the 360 version so I'm not sure I'll double dip. However, online co-op means I can finally clear Inferno difficulty. Tempting.

DiscoJer

a digital release of a port of a console game that was $20 when it came out 6 years ago!

Considering that the Vita has Gameloft mobile ports for $40, it's not so bad.

Though to be fair, they dropped the price of Dungeon Hunter Alliance down to $26.99 the last week or so. (Amusingly enough, the same game on PS3 was $12.99, but dropped down to 99 cents this week, its proper price).

CLEEK

Maybe I'm misremembering but I think the 360 version launched at $39.99.

In PAL-land, EDF 2017 wasn't full price, but it wasn't half the RRP of a normal game. I think it was £25 or there-a-bouts, when normal retail games were £35-40.

Even then, I remember loads of reviewers and forum goers criticising it's price, seeing how it was a B-movie game. Ignoring the enormous amount of fun in the game, or that the game had lots of of real next-gen WOW moments (the first time you saw the Hectors striding through the fog and filling the screen made my balls tingle in awe).

Top Bottom