• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age 3 artist: Xbox 720 tech wont require as much new staff/budget as Xbox->360

Nibel

Put those 16 cores inside me if old

The next generation of Xbox hardware won't be quite as barn-storming an upgrade as Xbox 360 was over the original Xbox, BioWare's director of art and animation Neil Thompson has told OXM. It'll still be "quite a big leap", mind.

Speaking to OXM in our latest issue - on sale Friday, in the hands of subscribers now - the BioWare veteran promised more innovation in videogame art next gen, providing developers can overcome the associated rise in costs.

"Clearly we still hammer up against the limitations of the hardware on a daily basis and if you push those parameters back, as I'm sure the next-gen will do, we'll hit them again," he began. "I think the main thing is that the industry doesn't get itself into a corner where it becomes economically unviable to make a game.

"The last technology iteration caught folks by surprise - especially the number of people you needed and the skillset jump to do the work that people expected. In the last generation the perception was that it was going to be a ten times improvement over the previous generation. "

"For the next generation there will be quite a big leap, but it won't be as obvious," Thompson revealed. "People will do things in a cleverer fashion - and I have to be careful here as there are non-disclosure agreements involved! I think they'll be better prepared, shall we say - but we can't see a ten-fold team increase again as the budgets would just be ridiculous.

"You'd have to sell 20-30 million copies before you broke even."

We've already pondered the cost of the generational transition on the site this week. Middleware outfits like Epic, id Software and Crytek are jostling for control of the emerging next gen development scene, a war that's predicted to double development budgets.

EA claims its own Frostbite 2 technology will dominate the new hardware. Dragon Age 3 - which uses the engine - will release in late 2013, and is thus widely believed to be a next generation release.
The next Xbox is rumoured to launch in November, for $350-400 in the US. Besides more predictable new features like a beefier processer, expanded Kinect functions and more RAM, it's tipped to utilise Microsoft's game-changing Xbox Illumiroom technology.

Don't miss our full interview with Thompson. It ventures well beyond the question of unannounced hardware, encompassing such topics as what to expect from the next Mass Effect, the death of racing games (he created art for Blur and Quantum Redshift, don't you know) and how BioWare has changed (and not changed) post-Muzyka and Zeschuk.

Source

Footage of DA3 artist:
io2XB50wcQhEo.gif

Truant

Thread is kinda misleading. He's talking about working with the consoles, not the leap in graphical quality.

JaggedSac

Doesn't seem like he is talking about the tech inside the box, instead the amount of work\people it takes to use the additional power.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think he's talking more about the step up on the production side, production requirements, rather than necessarily the end-user experience.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
These "it's not a huge leap" deals are heard with every single generational shift with every console line, the Xbox 360 was dubbed Xbox 1.5 intially even.

I'd take any statements like these with an order of magnitude worth of salt. :p

Edit: re-read and he's talking about manpower not console power. My bad.

Because... "they nailed" this gen!

Poor, poor Bioware. Ask Cd Projekt how to build an awesome game and be happy with one million copies sold.

Kimawolf

Well when he says not as big a leap, I assume he means in terms of needing man power as he said, and perhaps the obvious: going from SD to HD was a huge change. I expect games to look like PC games on high as compared to low/med. Which isn't bad at all and is stil la BIG LEAP compared to what we have now, but will disappoint many I think.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
we can't see a ten-fold team increase again as the budgets would just be ridiculous.

You'd have to sell 20-30 million copies before you broke even

How does a much smaller company like CD Projekt RED manage to create what they do? There must be some real bloat at these bigger companies, it's no wonder so many of them make losses.

Nerdstrom

Banned
Full of it. Unless it's somehow weaker than the new laptop I just got that's impossible. The difference in texture resolution and geometry on stuff like crysis 2 and battlefield set on ultra at high res is insane. 360s hardware is so old.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Here we go again.

Oh and yeah, thread title is pretty bad good sir :lol

Title is a bit misleading. He doesn't say the hardware isn't 10x more powerful like the 360 was to the Xbox, he says that we won't see as obvious a leap due to how expensive the games will be to make.

"For the next generation there will be quite a big leap, but it won't be as obvious," Thompson revealed. "People will do things in a cleverer fashion - and I have to be careful here as there are non-disclosure agreements involved! I think they'll be better prepared, shall we say - but we can't see a ten-fold team increase again as the budgets would just be ridiculous.

Doesn't say the actual specs aren't a huge leap, just that due to the budgets being so high he's doubting many devs, if any, will fully use the hardware.

Edit- severely beaten

Kimawolf

I think he's talking more about the step up on the production side, production requirements, rather than necessarily the end-user experience.

well he actually says "For the next generation there will be quite a big leap but it won't be as obvious," sounds like power talk to me.

Nintendo has poor Wii U sales in Japan, better make a misleading thread title about one of their competitors!

"You'd have to sell 20-30 million copies before you broke even."

igEk63JdAmBxA.gif

Pfft what?! Such bullshit.

He's talking about if costs had a 10X leap like they did this gen.

He clearly is saying that lighting will be real time this time but must be cautious in explaining it not to reveal it is the secret sauce, so artist work will be more clever as they won´t have to pre-bake shadows, lights, and so on.

Doesn't say the actual specs aren't a huge leap, just that due to the budgets being so high he's doubting many devs, if any, will fully use the hardware.
Wait, what? That's not what he's saying at all. He's saying he doesn't think the budgets will increase both because developers are more prepared for the workload and because the team sizes aren't going to balloon like they did last time.

"Fully using the hardware" is extremely easy. Just throw in 1080p with 4x MSAA and you'll see those boxes maxed out in no time at all.

Interfectum

Artists are already getting used to creating higher res texture assets for PC. This is just going to be the next logical step in that direction. Slightly higher polycount with a lot more shaders and effects. It's not going to require the staff bump that was required to jump into 360/PS3.

i-Lo

At first I was like: Oh well, so much for next gen. Guess I'll get a WiiU instead.

Then I was like: Oh, it's a budget thread! Of course it makes sense the budget won't balloon like last time because we're already in HD gen so the technological leap won't come as a surprise to any developer who has worked on current gen consoles.

Thread title seemingly changed to better reflect the actual content.

Anyway, even this gen, I still don't really get how Naughty Dog can create Uncharted 2 on ~20M, while other teams need 2x, 3x as much to churn out a game.

Although I actually think marketing budget inflation has been and will be more the problem.

"For the next generation there will be quite a big leap, but it won't be as obvious...we can't see a ten-fold team increase again as the budgets would just be ridiculous.

And this is the real source of "diminishing returns". Not that the hardware can't do it, but that the cost of taking full advantage of the new hardware is just not worth it financially.

I think its not just going to be raw power which will make games look better at the start of this gen. Just getting to 720p with higher res textures made a huge start last gen. But this time around its probably more about shaders and lighting. Getting things to look more like CG and/or real life.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Artists are already getting used to creating higher res texture assets for PC. This is just going to be the next logical step in that direction. Slightly higher polycount with a lot more shaders and effects. It's not going to require the staff bump that was required to jump into 360/PS3.

Toolchains are also a lot better than they used to be.

Frostbite has a fully realtime development process, so you don't have to sit around waiting hours for lighting to bake to see how your model/level/texture will actually look in game as an example of artist productivity.

i-Lo

Frostbite has a fully realtime development process, so you don't have to sit around waiting hours for lighting to bake to see how your model/level/texture will actually look in game as an example of artist productivity.

Do you mean like UE4/CE3? Also, like UE4, is FB2 looking to eliminate prebaked shadows?

Careful; he's saying there won't be as large a leap. Not quite the same thing!

Sounds like Nintendo had the right idea

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Do you mean like UE4/CE3? Also, like UE4, is FB2 looking to eliminate prebaked shadows?

Frostbite's toolchain is a lot like UE4 yes.

Their version of Unreal Kismet for example is Frostbite Schematics.

Geomerics also lets them create their lighting in realtime, even on current gen, since it's generated in the loading screen on 360/PS3.

On PC though it just runs a lot more like GI, since you have the power.

Interfectum

Toolchains are also a lot better than they used to be.

Oh yeah. All these engines are already geared towards high end PC specs that current consoles can't even do. Developers could easily "wow" most of us simply by cranking up current gen games effects, textures, frame rate and resolution at minimal cost in manpower.

This console generation has lingered on for a long time while development tools have already matured and are able to produce graphics well beyond what these systems are capable of. Developers will be able to ride off of that for the first couple years easily.

Top Bottom