• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U VC photos suggest dual GamePad play, classic & pro controller support

nickcv

http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/24/wii...-gamepad-play-classic-pro-controller-support/

j9yn9Vb.jpg

Here you can see what appears to be the option to connect two Wii U GamePad tablets to Virtual Console, which is odd as they aren’t sold separately yet. Perhaps this means they are on the way singularly?

0MHJymV.jpg

This photo shows support for the Wii U Pro controller and suggests support from both the Wii classic controller (that’s limited edition SNES version pictured), as well as WiiMote.

Azure J

Soon.

The coolest thing ever would be if you could do local multiplayer of certain Virtual Console titles with the Wii U streaming to two GamePads.

Feep

Banned
What? It doesn't suggest that at all. It's just asking what player number the single Wii U GamePad is registered as.

Well, maybe the "this Wii U GamePad" thing is slightly odd wording, if there could only ever be one. But still.

tsab

What? It doesn't suggest that at all. It's just asking what player number the single Wii U GamePad is registered as.

Well, maybe the "this Wii U GamePad" thing is slightly odd wording, if there could ever only be one. But still.

This.
Like you do it with the 3DS VC. You change the player number

Evenflow

Balloon trip works with the pro controller. That alone is the reason im more than happy to pay $1 to port every game i have over.

nickcv

pay closer attention.
it's not saying
"Touch the indicator to change the player number of the Wii U GamePad"

it says

"Touch the indicator to change the player number of this Wii U GamePad"

which implies there can be more the one Wii U GamePad

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
There's no need to "suggest" anything in relation to the Pro Controller, VG247. It does support it, as well as the old Wii's Classic Controller.

sphinx

the piano man
pay closer attention.
it's not saying

it says

uncertain what that actually means.

hongcha

pay closer attention.
it's not saying

it says

While it does not preclude the possibility of using another Wii U Gamepad, the word "this" in that context certainly does not imply there can be more than one Wii U Gamepad.

CLEEK

That's a Wii Classic Controller Pro, not a WiiU Pro Controller.

It's just showing the button remapping options that are in Virtual Console.

And it's a huge leap of logic to think the first picture means that its showing multiple Gamepad players. Like in Nintendoland, you can swap around which player is on the Gamepad, and which are on the Wiimote(s). That's how I read it. Just selecting which player will use the Gamepad.

Slow news day at VG247. They're obviously just filling time until the next Orbis leak.

Chopper

This was posted on Go Nintendo yesterday. It's bullshit. It's just giving you e option to move the Gamepad to Player 2, whilst a Wiimote/CC Pro is connected to Player 1. Some guy in the comments even tried it, as he has two Wii U control pads in the house.

XeMinus

A more definitive hint is found in Balloon Fight's electronic manual. It says something like "this game supports 1 gamepad only".

White and bottled... ;-)

lednerg

We already know it supports more than one gamepad. The technical description of how it works is in the patents from over a year ago.

Garou

Selling them separately is no guarantee to have two supported at the same time.

Iwata (iirc) said they're looking into supporting more than one per WiiU, but nothing was set in stone last I heard.

The japanese in that pic says that they will start selling separate controllers when later in 2013 they introduce Wii U software that makes use of 2 controllers.

Baleoce

Not sure if this has been touched on yet, but based off of Balloon Fight, each VC game apparently has its own miiverse community. That's kind of cool.

20130123_181259_zps9457126b.jpg

Shoyz

Not sure if this has been touched on yet, but based off of Balloon Fight, each VC game apparently has its own miiverse community. That's kind of cool.

Haven't gotten my WiiU yet, but would a community require any effort to make? Judging by the fact it uses the title screen as the image, this very well seems like something they could just generate automatically for every game.

1. The manual says "Only one Wii U GamePad can be used.".

2. You can use both the Wii U Pro controller and Wii Classic Controllers.

3. You can even use the Wii TVC arcade stick. :)

4. Wiimotes also work.

You can also switch between controllers pretty sealessly. I started playing on the GamePad, turned on a pro controller and continued playing with that. I also unplugged my arcade stick from a Wiimote and continued playing with the Wiimote without problems. You can also plug your CC back into the Wiimote and continue playing with no problems or simply pick the GamePad back up and continue playing on that.

I think, dual/multiple Gamepad support is quite likely.

I mean, GBA games are coming to Wii U VC, right?

Of course, maybe one is just using the TV and the other one can use a Gamepad...

Baleoce

Iwata specifically mentioned this in the ND, IIRC.

aah ok, gotcha. Actually quite excited to get Super Metroid for 30p whenever it's out.

My one criticism though, is I wish they would have custom borders (graphics or at least some colour), seen as all the games are 4:3. Black borders make it feel isolated. Would be nice to spice it up a bit. Kind of like what the GBA player on the Game Cube would let you do.

Well, its not like dual gamepads for VC is a big deal anyway.

Why would you want that?

It would be nice on some local multi-player games. Just trying to think but a couple of games off the top of my head is Contra, Street Fighter, etc.... Each player could have their own screen while you could still keep the TV free for TV, Movies, etc...

tsab

Or imagine the GBA Zelda 4 Swords multiplayer on the TV.

God we need a 4 Swords Adventure port/remake for 3ds/wiiu

jbc3

Hi guys -

Just to clear this up:

NO DUAL GamePad Support for Wii U VC Games - it's just controller switching.

That image going round has been misinterpreted - we tested this with Balloon Flight - it's in place so a user can change the controller port for the GamePad.

gamepadwiiug2.jpg

We tried it with a regular Wii Remote - you can't assign Wii Remotes to player two, so we had to force the GamePad to be player two instead:

http://www.cubed3.com/news/17989/1/no-dual-gamepads-for-wii-u-virtual-console.html

Thanks,
jbc3

Selling them separately is no guarantee to have two supported at the same time.

Iwata (iirc) said they're looking into supporting more than one per WiiU, but nothing was set in stone last I heard.

Reggie confirmed dual-Gamepad support in the future at the E3 2012 Press Conference, as did Iwata at the pre-E3 Nintendo Direct.

Top Bottom