• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Burnout Paradise 2 for next gen? [Criterion asks what you want in it]

abracadaver

No bikes

No day and night cycle (couldnt see shit once it got dark in paradise)

Better options for online races (sucked that most players kept freedriving instead of joining races)

60fps

No mini cars or flying cars

Burnout Paradise 2 would be awesome. Besides the usual sports cars and bikes, I'd like dozers or monster trucks. Along with destructible environments... Chaos and destruction.

Sequel to burnout 3 or bust.

Probably one of the only franchises that was made less fun when it became open world.

Driving halfway around an island an island to restart or more importantly, start a race, is not fun. Its grindy.

Orayn

Probably one of the only franchises that was made less fun when it became open world.

Driving halfway around an island an island to restart or more importantly, start a race, is not fun. Its grindy.

To be fair, they patched in the option to restart any event. Some sort of fast travel station would be nice, though, especially with a bigger world.

I don't know why people are saying this. It's possible to have both an open world and "proper" (closed) tracks.
People stuck with their first impressions, even though you look at Hot Pursuit and certain races in Most Wanted, and have acknowledged that it's something people want.

Just like how everyone is still pissy about restart, even though it's in there.

Bgamer90

Banned

Many recent open world racers have fast traveling, maps, and GPS to help with all of that.

Don't see how they wouldn't be able to do it in Burnout Paradise 2. Heck, it will probably be even better with the improved power of the new consoles.

Make it like Burnout 1-3. Paradise was garbage.

So... you want a sequel to burnout paradise to not be a sequel to burnout paradise? How does this make any sense? If its a sequel to paradise, its going to be open world. Thats pretty much a given so hoping for anything but is sort of silly.

Yes please!

- visually it needs good AA (most wanted was plagued by jaggies and BP had lots of them too)
- 60 fps ofcourse
- lots of variation in environments
- larger area to do stunts
- bigger jumps. I'm talking ridiculous
- autolog
- live camera snapshots online to piss people off
- road rash as a small mode in the game
- a special crashmode that is more like earlier burnout games. Destroy destroy destroy.
- crashcam with ridiculous crashes, skippable/ override button.
- flashpoles
- a lot of destrucabili in environments.
- at any trafficlight/ startpoint the option to choose between every of the modes: race/ stunt, etc.

To be fair, they patched in the option to restart any event. Some sort of fast travel station would be nice, though, especially with a bigger world.

It still wasn't fun.

The thing is, they can easily cater for both. Give us a black list of races we can launch from the menu, and keep the open world for those who like it.

but i found driving around to find races irritating as fuck, maybe even more than the fact at least at first you couldn't restart.

Many recent open world racers have fast traveling, maps, and GPS to help with all of that.

Don't see how they wouldn't be able to do it in Burnout Paradise 2. Heck, it will probably be even better with the improved power of the new consoles.

Unless its a simple "launch this race from the menu" I don't care.

• Keep the option to of having racing where you can pick any route you want, but
  • Allow us to place boundaries when designing our own races.
  • More big jumps, but add an option to disable the snapshot effect.
  • More driving on rooftops, or even in buildings. Look what the new Twisted Metal did vertically with Diesel City, now design stuff like that for Paradise.
  • More players online in a room together.
  • More hidden places like the Airfield to mess around in.
  • Allow us to design our own challenges and place props for them.
  • Steal that music remix system from the new SSX.
  • Less out of bounds areas, let us drive on the side of the hills if we want to.
  • Custom paint job designer.
  • Make motorcycles not suck.
  • Synchronize traffic with all online players in the same room (was so disappointed to find out this wasn't the case in Paradise).
  • I could go on and on, but the least important thing for myself is improved graphics, crash effects, dynamic weather, etc but that's all cool too.

Doubt we'll actually get a "Paradise 2" in name, it will most definitely be disguised as a Need For Speed title.

Erebus

HEY! HEY! YOU! YOU!
I DON’T LIKE YOUR GIRLFRIEND!
NO WAY! NO WAY!
I THINK YOU NEED A NEW ONE
HEY! HEY! YOU! YOU!
I COULD BE YOUR GIRLFRIEND
HEY! HEY! YOU! YOU!
I KNOW THAT YOU LIKE ME
NO WAY! NO WAY!
I KNOW IT'S NOT A SECRET
HEY! HEY! YOU! YOU!
I WANT TO BE YOUR GIRLFRIEND

I lol'ed

8byte

Banned
Honestly making it open world but adding more "fluff" to the world would suffice nicely. Make NPCs that show up depending on driver level and engage you in races, chases, etc. Create traffic jams where you can PLOW THROUGH TRAFFIC AND NOT CRASH ALA REVENGE!!!

Things like raising and lowering bridges, trains, semis w/ramps on the back of them to jump, and the ability to connect more than 8 racers in one world at a time. 16 players in an open world map competing in events would be super fun.

DNO3a.gif

Wow... I thought my hype meter was nearing its max but... Not even close haha.

I'd say... Just add autolog to BP1... And don't use real cars... And keep jumps

Now I understand why game designers never ask the public for ideas...
Racing games, and specifically a series like Burnout (where each game has been dramatically different), suffers most for it.

Each person want something different from the past, but you know already that jamming them in together will break.

You also look at what the market has been doing, what has been selling, and you wonder whether fans who are asking to go back to the roots are right or not, and it's a scary bet. If you want to look at "arcade racers" as a lineage of products following each other, after Paradise, you have a series of different games that took on that visual look/genre, all with their own spin on things, but then you'll shit your pants realizing that many of them have been commercial flops, even if they're highly acclaimed. Motorstorm: Apocalypse; FlatOut; Split Second; Ridge Racer Unbounded, etc... You contrast that with Criterion's last 3 retail games and their sales... and you want to turn it around?

Someone's going to have to be real ballsy to make the next game linear. And their head will be on the line if they do and it flops.

It can be both open world and have circuit races easily. Forza Horizon does that right now. You drive around freely to get to races then some are proper circuit, closed tracks with laps, while others have traffic and are point to point. You can fast travel to nearby hubs with credits or do objectives to unlock them for free. During open world driving you have billboards on the ground to hit to unlock discounts for car parts, speed traps, and race AI in street races by coming up behind them. I'm not saying Paradise 2 should be Horizon but combining circuit with open world well isn't anywhere near impossible.

Rimfya

Banned
JETS. JETS. JETS. JETS. JETS. JETS. JETS. JETS. JETS. JETS.

Will Burnout Paradise 2 be the dark middle chapter?

Raven77

Here is a quick list of my wants:

- Restart a race at any time with zero penalty

- Unlimited "rewind" to fix my mistakes

- An auto-driver of sorts that will pilot the car for me if I am feeling too challenged

- The ability to purchase new car designs for real world money

- Full Kinect support only, no complicated controller please

- Traffic should be removed from races, it makes it too hard

- Only 3 cars total per race, that way I can at LEAST get Third

- Skip mode, if I don't feel like completing a challenge I can just make it auto-complete and I get the reward

The above would make me a very happy camper.

It can be both open world and have circuit races easily. Forza Horizon does that right now. You drive around freely to get to races then some are proper circuit, closed tracks with laps, while others have traffic and are point to point. You can fast travel to nearby hubs with credits or do objectives to unlock them for free. During open world driving you have billboards on the ground to hit to unlock discounts for car parts, speed traps, and race AI in street races by coming up behind them. I'm not saying Paradise 2 should be Horizon but combining circuit with open world well isn't anywhere near impossible.
And that's what NFS:Hot Pursuit did. I'm ok with that setup, but clearly you see most people are of the school of thought: "Burnout 3 Menus Or Bust".

Viewtify

Banned
On the contrary, it made it more fun than a linear game could ever hope to achieve.

Sure it was fun to do challenges and destroy billboards online. But when it came down to racing which is what Burnout is about, all the intense fast paced action was gone. You were never fighting head to head with someone on the last lap for first place. Everyone went in their own direction making races seem pointless and boring.

Wish they wouldn't of branded Paradise as a Burnout game, since now if they want to do a sequel you get all these people begging to ditch most things from Paradise and make it more like 1-3/Revenge. Paradise is hardly a racer (in fact, I believe that is what I spent the least amount of time doing in the game) so it makes sense that it doesn't carry over all of the same fan base but there's still a lot of people who love it.

I hope Criterion sticks to the philosophies they used for Paradise, I love 1-3/Revenge but there are so many similar racing games out there. There are hardly any games similar to Paradise aside from the new Most Wanted kind of.

Top Bottom