• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 controller: touchpad + share button + dualshock

The controller

Sources close to the hardware have revealed to us that PS4 will ship with a redesigned controller which is the same size as an existing DualShock but features a small touchpad in place of the existing Select, Start and PS buttons. The tech is based on Vita’s rear touchpad, and is similarly responsive in use.

A new Share button on the controller will, when pressed, launch a new feature that will allow screenshots and video to be distributed online. The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet.

from the EDGE write up : http://www.edge-online.com/news/playstation-4-revealed/

quite bizarre that they put in a touchpad for those features? would it be cheaper to implement than buttons?

The share button is also quite interesting. I guess social media is at a forefront of their consideration.

ADD+

"British site CVG speculated last week that, because they'd heard the PS4's controller was "trying to emulate the same user interface philosophies as the PS Vita", that meant it would feature a touch screen. Instead, the Orbis' controller features a capacitive touch pad, like you find on the back of a Vita (presumably it's also on the back of the PS4's controller), that can recognise two-point multi-touch. The entire pad can also be "clicked" for an additional input button."

ADDING PHOTOSHOPS FROM THREAD:

New one for the new page:

ZElmXbr.png

Larger version - Comparison with the PS3 controller

• The touch pad is clickable, click anywhere for start click bottom left for select (similar to the Macbook's touch pad).
  • Wider with longer handles.
  • Share button.
  • New shoulder buttons.

My mishmash

ps4ofjoyrlukt.png

boomerang 2.0

Concept WARS! :D

made minor improvements to my formula based on other ideas(industrial espionage!):
ds4_2.jpg

Start & Select are still touch buttons on the surface.

With bigger sticks:

dualshock4b5pu9x.jpg

CNET writeup re: this thread

M.D

Share button is the only thing that is interesting. I personally won't use it, but I can see how it can be an important feature.

Aeana

One of my favorite trends in new systems is the ability to take screenshots and share them easily.

GulAtiCa

I hope devs use the touch screen in a creative fashion and not try to force usage of it just cause it's there.

Z3M0G

That "Share" features sounds much more like Sony will have a Mii-Verse style service where players can post pics/videos... extension of the Vita's current dashboard features.

"A new Share button on the controller will, when pressed, launch a new feature that will allow screenshots and video to be distributed online. The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet."

YES! So many awesome moments I've had, especially in multiplayer games, I'd love to share.

But what the hell, I want my Start and Select buttons! I do not want those to be touch based. Same size? They should have made it bigger/redesigned and found a way to fit the touchpad below the analog sticks... Something like this:

xbox-qwerty-keyboard.jpg

Are the Start/Select relocated, like on the OnLive controller?

ironcreed

Banned
The Dualshock is my favorite controller, so I am happy to hear that they are sticking with the same shape for the most part. All I wanted was a bit of an evolution of the design and that is what this sounds like.

Mononoke

Banned
I don't mind the touch pad. In fact I prefer it to a screen (like Wii U). I just want something simple and non-intrusive.

USC-fan

Banned
Should be a small touchscreen, i have no idea how a touchpad is going to replace 3 buttons.

Guess it will work like the "Apple Magic Trackpad"

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Please change the analogue sticks. That rubbery feel is absolutely hideous.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet.

ok thats godlike

Share button is cool.

But adding that touchpad gimmick to the PS4 controllers is really terrible. The rear touchpad of the Vita is absolutely horrendous.

Change the triggers, too, and move the left analog stick to where the d-pad is. And make the d-pad not complete shit like it has been for the last three Dualshocks. Thanks.

zoukka

Talk about a gimmick lol. Why didn't the PS button could've worked as a multifunctional "share" button as well?

Somnid

That "Share" features sounds much more like Sony will have a Mii-Verse style service where players can post pics/videos... extension of the Vita's current dashboard features.

Probably just Youtube/Facebook/Twitter.

I like the recording idea although a frontal dualshock sized touchpad sounds awkward and small. I was hoping they'd put something on the back like Vita.

EVIL

Expect all ps4 games that have trofees. Have at least one that involve the use of the share button.

Radec

Make it all smooth Sony.

Youtube uploaders wont need a recorder if this is all true.

Shooters will dig this.

dat sonyverse coming

im all for it, Miiverse has been amazing and i hope the others follow.

im hyped now, i want to see the system and controller

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I find the "share" button to be one of the lamest ideas I've heard in years. That could EASILY have been done through the PS button instead of clogging the controller with another button.

Also, guys--TouchPAD, not TouchSCREEN. Huge difference.

zoukka

Gimmick? Sounds more like an added feature to a popular, time-tested design to me.

Tell me why the same function couldn't be added as a PS button function? Thr fact that it replaces the PS button means that they just changed the PS buttons name to share button!

Top Bottom