• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Pachterballs
Banned
(02-01-2013, 05:30 PM)

The controller

Sources close to the hardware have revealed to us that PS4 will ship with a redesigned controller which is the same size as an existing DualShock but features a small touchpad in place of the existing Select, Start and PS buttons. The tech is based on Vita’s rear touchpad, and is similarly responsive in use.

A new Share button on the controller will, when pressed, launch a new feature that will allow screenshots and video to be distributed online. The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet.

from the EDGE write up : http://www.edge-online.com/news/playstation-4-revealed/

quite bizarre that they put in a touchpad for those features? would it be cheaper to implement than buttons?

The share button is also quite interesting. I guess social media is at a forefront of their consideration.

ADD+

"British site CVG speculated last week that, because they'd heard the PS4's controller was "trying to emulate the same user interface philosophies as the PS Vita", that meant it would feature a touch screen. Instead, the Orbis' controller features a capacitive touch pad, like you find on the back of a Vita (presumably it's also on the back of the PS4's controller), that can recognise two-point multi-touch. The entire pad can also be "clicked" for an additional input button."

ADDING PHOTOSHOPS FROM THREAD:

Originally Posted by Mista Koo

New one for the new page:

Larger version - Comparison with the PS3 controller

• The touch pad is clickable, click anywhere for start click bottom left for select (similar to the Macbook's touch pad).
  • Wider with longer handles.
  • Share button.
  • New shoulder buttons.

Originally Posted by kairu

Originally Posted by Mista Koo

Originally Posted by Sickboy007

My mishmash

boomerang 2.0

Originally Posted by Noisepurge

Concept WARS! :D

made minor improvements to my formula based on other ideas(industrial espionage!):

Start & Select are still touch buttons on the surface.

Originally Posted by jett

With bigger sticks:

CNET writeup re: this thread
Last edited by Pachterballs; 02-05-2013 at 02:39 AM. Reason: adding mockups
shagg_187
lapdance transform pants
(02-01-2013, 05:30 PM)
I just want a good d-pad, stick and triggers. That is all!

Share button better be positioned so it doesn't interfere with my gaming!
dragonfart28
(02-01-2013, 05:31 PM)
Hmm.. I'm all for the touchpad, but it looks like this system will cost at least $500
M.D
(02-01-2013, 05:32 PM)
Share button is the only thing that is interesting. I personally won't use it, but I can see how it can be an important feature.
-MB-
(02-01-2013, 05:32 PM)
Since they are borrowing Vita controller features, add the dpad too Sony, pretty please!!
Aeana
Medal Princess
(02-01-2013, 05:33 PM)
One of my favorite trends in new systems is the ability to take screenshots and share them easily.
GulAtiCa
I hope devs use the touch screen in a creative fashion and not try to force usage of it just cause it's there.
Z3M0G
That "Share" features sounds much more like Sony will have a Mii-Verse style service where players can post pics/videos... extension of the Vita's current dashboard features.
Talon
(02-01-2013, 05:34 PM)
Capture hardware made obsolete?

Yes.
TimeEffect
"A new Share button on the controller will, when pressed, launch a new feature that will allow screenshots and video to be distributed online. The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet."

YES! So many awesome moments I've had, especially in multiplayer games, I'd love to share.

But what the hell, I want my Start and Select buttons! I do not want those to be touch based. Same size? They should have made it bigger/redesigned and found a way to fit the touchpad below the analog sticks... Something like this:

Are the Start/Select relocated, like on the OnLive controller?
Last edited by TimeEffect; 02-01-2013 at 05:38 PM.
EloquentM
aka Mannny
This will be good for Sony miiverse.
BlackFlip

Originally Posted by GulAtiCa

I hope devs use the touch screen in a creative fashion and not try to force usage of it just cause it's there.

It'll be the latter.
Hydrogen Bluebird
A touch pad and not a touch screen? Yes!
Jb
(02-01-2013, 05:35 PM)
Fuck yeah OS level screenshots.
FlashbladeGAF

or avoid putting it on the system because it's there

"we felt we had to do something special... so we didnt do anything at all"
Afrit

The report says it's touchpad not touch screen.
TeethMummy
NO ONE DENIES MEMBER

Originally Posted by dragonfart28

Hmm.. I'm all for the touchpad, but it looks like this system will cost at least $500

thats what everyone said about the Vita too
ironcreed
Banned
The Dualshock is my favorite controller, so I am happy to hear that they are sticking with the same shape for the most part. All I wanted was a bit of an evolution of the design and that is what this sounds like.
Gambit
(02-01-2013, 05:36 PM)

touchpad, not touchscreen. no idea what good it's gonna, but I am grateful for the diversity.
Yukiko
I don't mind the touch pad. In fact I prefer it to a screen (like Wii U). I just want something simple and non-intrusive.
Deadstar
I hope it's more response than the vita. You have to press really hard for it to work.
SunhiLegend
Telling our history
One .GIF at a time
Being able to record and upload gameplay would be bloody amazing.
BruceLeeRoy
Banned
Sony is on a fricken roll. I love what were hearing about this controller
USC-fan
aka Kbsmoker
Should be a small touchscreen, i have no idea how a touchpad is going to replace 3 buttons.

Guess it will work like the "Apple Magic Trackpad"
Ushojax
Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
(02-01-2013, 05:37 PM)
Please change the analogue sticks. That rubbery feel is absolutely hideous.
~Devil Trigger~

The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet.

ok thats godlike
The Mana Legend
Banned
Share button is cool.

But adding that touchpad gimmick to the PS4 controllers is really terrible. The rear touchpad of the Vita is absolutely horrendous.

Change the triggers, too, and move the left analog stick to where the d-pad is. And make the d-pad not complete shit like it has been for the last three Dualshocks. Thanks.
maquiladora

Originally Posted by Hydrogen Bluebird

A touch pad and not a touch screen? Yes!

Thank you Kaz.
amaron11
Banned

Originally Posted by FlashbladeGAF

or avoid putting it on the system because it's there

"we felt we had to do something special... so we didnt do anything at all"

That's reserved for Nintendo consoles unfortunately.
zoukka
(02-01-2013, 05:38 PM)
Talk about a gimmick lol. Why didn't the PS button could've worked as a multifunctional "share" button as well?
Somnid
Corporate Ballwasher
Ignore everything I say

Originally Posted by Z3M0G

That "Share" features sounds much more like Sony will have a Mii-Verse style service where players can post pics/videos... extension of the Vita's current dashboard features.

Probably just Youtube/Facebook/Twitter.

I like the recording idea although a frontal dualshock sized touchpad sounds awkward and small. I was hoping they'd put something on the back like Vita.
VariantX
So I guess we'll have to pause the game through the share button now, wherever that's located.
EVIL
Expect all ps4 games that have trofees. Have at least one that involve the use of the share button.
we.are.the.armada
Holy shit at the share button. I swear I thought of this years ago :)
ironcreed
Banned

Originally Posted by zoukka

Talk about a gimmick lol. Why didn't the PS button could've worked as a multifunctional "share" button as well?

Gimmick? Sounds more like an added feature to a popular, time-tested design to me.
GQman2121
(02-01-2013, 05:39 PM)
I'm open for change, but I do like the dual shock. Real Triggers or bust though...
Shellshock929
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised about this at all, especially if it does make the $500 mark.
Radec
Make it all smooth Sony.

Youtube uploaders wont need a recorder if this is all true.

Shooters will dig this.
Insane Metal
Received Internet Coal
(02-01-2013, 05:40 PM)
Share button = AWESOME. It's gonna be a kind of PlayStation Youtube!
Vire
DancingJesus

If it's something like this,

I'm in.
friskykillface
dat sonyverse coming

im all for it, Miiverse has been amazing and i hope the others follow.

im hyped now, i want to see the system and controller
GQman2121

Originally Posted by zoukka

How do you know it's not something very similar and they're just changing the name?
casablanca
Gimme a back touchpad for fifa !!
Best feature on the vita version of the game
Plinko
Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I find the "share" button to be one of the lamest ideas I've heard in years. That could EASILY have been done through the PS button instead of clogging the controller with another button.

Also, guys--TouchPAD, not TouchSCREEN. Huge difference.
maquiladora

Originally Posted by VariantX

So I guess we'll have to pause the game through the share button now, wherever that's located.

I'm guessing tapping the touchpad will do that.
BolognaSoup
(02-01-2013, 05:41 PM)
Real triggers damn it!!!
zoukka

Originally Posted by ironcreed

Gimmick? Sounds more like an added feature to a popular, time-tested design to me.

Tell me why the same function couldn't be added as a PS button function? Thr fact that it replaces the PS button means that they just changed the PS buttons name to share button!
Sethos
Banned
"same size as an existing DualShock"

Aaaaaand my dream of a proper PS4 controller died.
Refreshment.01
(02-01-2013, 05:42 PM)
So Sony's playing it pretty safe? At least in controller department Wii U has an edge it seems
M.D
(02-01-2013, 05:42 PM)

Originally Posted by Vire

If it's something like this,

I'm in.

What is wrong with you?