• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic: Next gen will be a "substantial leap over current gen"

Next generation consoles, or high-end platforms, will offer a gamers a ‘substantial leap over the current generation’ according to Epic founder Tim Sweeney.

You'd hope so, too. Speaking in the latest issue of Edge magazine, Sweeney talks in detail on the work that Epic is currently conducting on its next-gen engine, the Unreal Engine 4. Sweeney believes that the current crop of high-end PCs are ‘representative' of what players should expect, but when the next generation of consoles actually arrives it will be a ‘substantial leap’ over the experiences we have today.

“We’re more enthusiastic now than ever about the future of high-end platforms,” explained Sweeney.

“What we’re doing on high-end PCs is going to be representative of the future consumer gaming experience and it’s going to be awesome. It’s going to be a substantial leap over the current generation.”

Not only that but Sweeney also spoke about the next-gen toolset that Unreal Engine 4 will deliver to developers, allowing even indie devs to create games easily.

“[UE4] improves art production, content creation, iteration between programmers and artists… One artist working for six months can build a game with Unreal Engine 4 without actually programming anything and ship it, something on the scale of Angry Birds,” explained Sweeney.

“And when you get to digital distribution and new methods of monetisation that don’t require paying huge amounts of money upfront, you have this huge potential to reinvent the game industry.”

Source

derFeef

Well I hope so, looking forward to some jaw-droppers, hopefully.
Also kind of says something about Durango I guess - not so weak?

Ponn

Banned
Why does every recent statement by him come off more like a sales pitch for UE4 to devs?

“Next gen looks so awesome and is easier to develop for, ON UE4! Anything else and you are screwed.”

So you're saying you're not expecting a big leap with the PS4/720 over what we have now, even though the rumored specs destroy the antiques we have now?

No I'm saying don't believe everything he says. I never said anything about the leap that will happen. There will no doubt be a nice leap, but don't fall prey to hyperbolic nonsense that always gets spouted before big new consoles come out.

Forkball

Can't wait for Angry Birds on UE4.

And by substantial leap I hope they mean more than graphics. To me, AI advancements are far more noteworthy when it comes to determining how big of a gap there is between hardware.

Heh, that would be nice. I'll believe I when I see it. Still expecting some fairly high end PC looking games. Hopefully, they can prove me wrong.

Haunted

I'll be surprised if the new consoles really make any kind of leap over my PC. Shit's bangin'.
You will see a significant leap once A-tier developers start targeting that banging hardware instead of embellishing games made for old consoles with some extra effects.

Shit may be banging, but we have not seen a game that is not constrained by current console hardware in mind yet.

We'll see how many 1080p let alone 60FPS games come in the next few years. Even still once next gen games actually hit they will still be much better looking on current high end PCs.

Just something to keep in mind when reading these.

They do want to sell their licenses.

I was going to say that no game developer is going to spend the million-odd dollars licensing UE4 just because Tim Sweeney says it's good, but then I remembered Silicon Knights...

derFeef

We'll see how many 1080p let alone 60FPS games come in the next few years.

I am talking about loading screens, segmented gameplay (heyooo another dooor or evelatorrr, please waiiit) and stuff like that - I play console ports on my PC and I still have those limitations so I hope they go away.

Top Bottom