• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Couples inventing a new last name when getting married...

Status
Not open for further replies.

t26

It is going to be a pain accessing you record after the name change, harder for man since man normally don't have maiden name.

My father did something pretty irredeemable so I don't have too much attachment to my name, so if I were to ever marry I would definitely suggest that the missus and I come up with something new and personal to us.

Draft

I know of a couple that picked a new last name that was a combination of their respective maiden names.

In my opinion it's dumb. The wife taking her husband's last name is kind of cheesy but also kind of sweet. If the wife isn't down with that then no name change at all.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
My wife took my name in the US and I took her name in Taiwan (you have to have a Chinese name for official documents).

bjb

Banned
I don't see how Gruber is ugly or doesn't roll of the tongue. It's just a name

Gruber is pretty bad, man. It's almost as bad as Gock. or Gooch:

worst-funny-names-gooch.jpg

When my gf and I get married, we're probably going to do a name shift.

Her last name is "Blakey" and I hate my last name so we're gonna change it to "Blake" so we're both happy and get a power name in the process.

ToxicAdam

My parents are divorced. My mother reverted back to her maiden name. My grandparents are divorced. My grandmother remarried and took a new name. My grandfather with the last name is estranged, disappeared over a decade ago with some new woman, and no one in the family cares about him. The only people with my last name are my father, brother, sister, and one uncle. Four people. That's it. No one else in the extended family has this last name. And my extended family (through second cousins) is huge.

If I had this kind of lineage, I would never get married.

If your wife is onboard with a non-traditional last name, maybe she could get onboard with a non-traditional 'marriage'.

My wife hyphenated her last name and mine. Honestly, I wish she hasn't done that because now its so damn long that its created problems on at least 2 occasions. Haha

Anyway, if you're going to pick a new last name, I would go with McBadass.

Hey, us McBadasses are a small, yet traditional family!

besada

Banned
The coolest thing I ever saw was a friend of mine named Greg Heart. He married a girl whose name was Barbara Strange. They changed their name to Strangeheart.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I wouldn't mind taking a name, as I have no real ties to mine, but I really wouldn't want to combine names or make a new one.

jaxword

Eh fuck it. Last name is Gruber.

Yes. Like Hans Gruber from Die Hard. Often mispronounced by people reading it for the first time as "Grubber", and so few people get the damn movie reference. It's also an ugly sounding name to say or read, which is why it works for a German bad guy in an action movie.

On top of that, my grandfather on my father's side is part German because his dad was part German. That's as deep as the German/Austrian goes. It's like an odd relic that got passed down with no meaning behind it.

You could change it do McGruder. Sounds about the same so you won't get confused, yet still different enough to suggest a different lineage.

Cagey

Banned
Gruber is pretty bad. Girlfriend vindicated.

Yep. The discussions haven't gotten much farther than "let's just do it the way everyone else does", because she holds the "you know you don't like that last name either" card.

I'd go with McClane.

That's... an excellent idea, holy shit.

In my opinion it's dumb. The wife taking her husband's last name is kind of cheesy but also kind of sweet. If the wife isn't down with that then no name change at all.

The whole "make up a combination" idea strikes me as stupid. Besides, try turning Gruber and Suh into something that isn't even worse than Gruber.

If I had this kind of lineage, I would never get married.

If your wife is onboard with a non-traditional last name, maybe she could get onboard with a non-traditional 'marriage'.

Trust me, I've contemplated it. Both men cheated after 15-20 years.

Mm. I'd personally be keeping my last name.

I'm attached to it in part because it's become a nickname. That and shared pride in it among me and my bros.

Eh fuck it. Last name is Gruber.

Yes. Like Hans Gruber from Die Hard. Often mispronounced by people reading it for the first time as "Grubber", and so few people get the damn movie reference. It's also an ugly sounding name to say or read, which is why it works for a German bad guy in an action movie.

On top of that, my grandfather on my father's side is part German because his dad was part German. That's as deep as the German/Austrian goes. It's like an odd relic that got passed down with no meaning behind it.

Well, if you don't really have any strong german roots it might be a good idea to completely change that name so that you won't get constant "Are you german?"-questions.

Or just go McGruber as someone suggested.

Jackpot

Banned
Take her name. It's the 21st century. And her being traditional doesn't cut it if she wants to dispense with the tradition of taking your name.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
There's nothing wrong with gruber. This all sounds pretty petty.

You both changing your last names seems extreme and kind of a pain in the ass. It seems much easier to each just keep your last names - you don't need to do anything, change paperwork, etc. That's a lot less strange than both changing your names, isn't it?

Gruber isn't terrible BTW. What's wrong with it? If it were Cockenpants or Asshat I might understand, but Gruber?

My wife kept her last name. Simple and clean. I can't imagine if we both changed ours - banks to contact, government shit to deal with, emails to change, stuff through work, etc.

I took my friends man card away when he hyphenated his last name with his wife's maiden name. lol.

that being said, I've only come across one couple that combined their last names to make a new last name. They seemed happy.

Yeef

When I was a kid there was a girl I went to school with. Her parents each kept their last names after they got married. Her last name was the first syllable of her of each parents' last names stuck together.

Cth

Friend of mine did it, but to be honest, the name they picked was even worse, IMO.

PRO TIP:
Do not use your online username for a lastname, it's generally a bad idea. Especially if said name is used in conjunction with something potentially embarassing that employers can find with a simple google search.

I've always found Icelandic surnames fascinating.

Basically, you take your father's name, add an s, and then add son if you're male or dóttir if you're female.

So in the Wikipedia example, if your father's name is Jon, your last name is either Jonsson (Jon's son) or Jonsdóttir (Jon's daughter).

There's no real concept of a family name. It's strange but really interesting.

first question: is it legal?

i can only speak for NY, but in NY, when you get married, a new surname has to be a current or past legal surname of one of the people getting married, or a combination of the surnames of both people. so you can't just invent a new one.

In many parts of Canada, a marriage-related name change is the same as any other name change: a lot of paperwork. I know a few people that have combined names in a non-hyphenated manner and it's worked out.

I went to school with a girl whose last name was Poop. I've always wondered if she changed it the second she was legally able.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Yeah making a new name seems like a good thing given your situation described.

Personally, I couldn't ever do it; I rather enjoy my family name. Easy to say and sounds good. That said I wouldn't force my would-be-fiancee to take it unless she wanted to.

LevelNth

Banned
I personally would never remotely consider it for a second. My last name is mine, and very important to me. Any potential wife could take it or keep hers, I don't care.

No hyphenating though. That shit is just stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom