• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square's Ian Livingstone talks next-gen; hints at always-on, used game-blocking Xbox

Livingstone, who was one of the driving forces behind Eidos and its Tomb Raider franchise, was in India recently to promote Crystal Dynamics’ latest Lara Croft adventure.

On the possibility of boxed retail being abandoned in favour of digital distribution, Livingstone told MCV, “Boxed games aren’t being abandoned just yet. I think the next iteration of consoles – the PS4 and the next Xbox, have got optical disc drives even though they probably don’t want to have them. Broadband speed globally isn’t at a level that justifies digital-only.”

“So they’ve gone halfway,” he added, giving the example of Microsoft’s supposed next-gen approach, “With the next Xbox, you supposedly have to have an internet connection, and the discs are watermarked, whereby once played on one console it won’t play on another. So I think the generation after that will be digital-only.”
http://www.mcvindia.com/news/read/i...-at-always-on-used-game-blocking-xbox/0111409

Credit to Galacticos.

Ploid 3.0

Man, microsoft can not go through with that watermark crap. It will really screw them up, it's bad enough that people have to pay for live to use netflix, play online games and such.

Hoo-doo

Banned
As I said in the other thread. I can't imagine this ever happening.

Way, waaaay too many people playing on Xbox 360's that never connect their consoles online.

guek

Banned
3OPa1he.gif

I don't think it'll make a huge difference in the long run

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Are the rumors that discs would be tied to the console or the profile?

Way, waaaay too many people playing on Xbox 360's that never connect their consoles online.

I'm baffled as well, but there are so many people saying it will happen. They could change plans though.

He can say this without getting into trouble with MS by throwing in the "supposedly", since its the same stuff Edge reported. But it's pretty obvious the Life President of Eidos wouldn't even bring those points up if they weren't true...

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
What happens if you try to play 2 copies of the same game on one console?

Mrbob

This seems like a pretty solid source. There is no good reason for him to lie.

Will be interesting to see if any backlash stops MS.

CTLance

suiWB9i.gif

Nah. I really can't imagine this would happen unless Sony is in on it too. Probably Nintendo too, but I'd expect such shenanigans from them for some reason.

Interfectum

I'm pretty sure it'll just be like retail PC games with Steamworks.

You buy a next-Xbox disc, you attach it to your XBL account and you have it across all Xbox hardware via your log in (if applicable).

G.Newell

If the game gets tied to your account i wouldnt mind it being a system akin to steam where once its activated i can download it on any console with my profile as long as im signed in.

He can say this without getting into trouble with MS by throwing in the "supposedly", since its the same stuff Edge reported. But it's pretty obvious the Life President of Eidos wouldn't even bring those points up if they weren't true...
That's why i think he used that wording as well.

Ploid 3.0

I have a wii and 360 that aren't connected to the internet. The main reason I didn't even care to connected xbox is that I'd be silver, and I figured the only thing I'd be able to do with silver is download old demos. I have no clue what silver get access to. Can't even use it as a netflix box, it just sits there next to the wii, kinect sitting on the top of it or something. Two unused 360 controllers (I may try setting my PC up for using them as my DS3 controller is getting beat up).

FroJay

Banned
The switch to PS4 is going to be so much easier if this is true. MS did a great job this gen, but trying to push forward with this garbage is going to kill their progress. The Sony approach is a welcome one.

Elios83

He doesn't hint at anything, the word supposedly in there shows that he is just talking about previous rumors.

President of Eidos doesn't comment on rumors, he knows the facts. He's still using the word 'supposedly' because he can't make announcements in Microsoft's place.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
EDGE didn't pull the story out of their ass. There is obviously something there.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
With the next Xbox, you supposedly have to have an internet connection, and the discs are watermarked, whereby once played on one console it won’t play on another.

The only reason for something like this is so I can install a game and chuck the disc away.

On the 360 it has to check every time but if this is just way to make it a one time thing I'd be ok with that.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wow. We now have a credible source on record. Looks like it's happening.

Sorry, Microsoft. No money from me this go-round :(

Globox_82

Banned
EA was not there for Sony event, today Sony removed Criterion from their list of devs working on PS4. Could it be that EA is the publisher pushing for this? Could sony lose FIFA, Madden, etc?

I still don't think MS will do it, but they are the ones that can get away with it...

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
It's from an interview they did, so there's no chance of misunderstanding what Livingstone said. Looks legit to me, esp the watermark part.

ascii42

I have a wii and 360 that aren't connected to the internet. The main reason I didn't even care to connected xbox is that I'd be silver, and I figured the only thing I'd be able to do with silver is download old demos. I have no clue what silver get access to. Can't even use it as a netflix box, it just sits there next to the wii, kinect sitting on the top of it or something. Two unused 360 controllers (I may try setting my PC up for using them as my DS3 controller is getting beat up).

XBLA games, DLC (some of which is free), and patches.

On the possibility of boxed retail being abandoned in favour of digital distribution, Livingstone told MCV, “Boxed games aren’t being abandoned just yet. I think the next iteration of consoles – the PS4 and the next Xbox, have got optical disc drives even though they probably don’t want to have them. Broadband speed globally isn’t at a level that justifies digital-only.”

“So they’ve gone halfway,” he added, giving the example of Microsoft’s supposed next-gen approach, “With the next Xbox, you supposedly have to have an internet connection, and the discs are watermarked, whereby once played on one console it won’t play on another. So I think the generation after that will be digital-only.”

"I think the consoles have an optical drive"? Sony and Microsoft don't want optical drives? Isn't this directly contradicted by Sony's recent comments about a disc based future?

The rest sounds like supposition. It sounds like he knows very little based on the language he's using as well as the references to thinking the next gen consoles have optical drives. I wonder just what he's thinking with these comments. He's coming off as somewhat out of touch.

GME stock not down yet.

The rest sounds like supposition. It sounds like he knows very little based on the language he's using as well as the references to thinking the next gen consoles have optical drives. I wonder just what he's thinking with these comments. He's coming off as somewhat out of touch.

Agreed.

Lakitu

st5fu
Well if it is true, along with the forced-Kinect rumour then unfortunately I'm out. Will buy a PS4 at launch though.

If those people are not the primary audience for the new Xbox then it can certainly happen. If Microsoft feels that the audience they can engage with their "always-connected" Xbox is greater than those that play used games or prefer to play offline, then you can be sure Microsoft will not have two fucks to give.

Hell, it might just be. This could be a risk that Microsoft is willing to take. It could pay off for them but I wouldn't be too thrilled about it.

G.Newell

The only reason for something like this is so I can install a game and chuck the disc away.

On the 360 it has to check every time but if this is just way to make it a one time thing I'd be ok with that.

Exactly what i was trying to say, this feels no different to PC games nowdays. Every PC game i buy now, once its activated doesn't require the disc so its essentially a useless disc.

Maybe because they don't need to, not because the can't. I only connect to online if their is a sale on Arcade games, and since I'm not a gold member, the sales are rarely if ever good.

I am beginning to fear more and more that activation codes for massive amounts of game content are going to be the norm.

Even if there is no system level blocking, I think publishers will still find a way to do it.

Mrbob

EA was not there for Sony event, today Sony removed Criterion from their list of devs working on PS4. Could it be that EA is the publisher pushing for this? Could sony lose FIFA, Madden, etc?

I still don't think MS will do it, but they are the ones that can get away with it...

Dice has been commenting on the PS4. EA isn't abandoning the PS4.

Top Bottom