• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret History of the *Fourth* Shareholder of The Pokemon Company

I've been searching for this article I read over 10 years ago for quite some time and finally tonight I thought I'd spend time to find it - I finally found it - I knew it existed!

We all know that NCL and Creatures each supposedly own 32% of TPCi (The Pokemon Company International) while Game Freak owned 33% - but what became of the fourth shareholder? After all 32, 32 and 33 only add up to 97% right?

Turns out it's been under our noses the entire time.

The fourth shareholder of the Pokemon Company... *drumroll*

4Kids Entertainment (responsible for convincing NCL to bring it to America when NoA failed to convince NCL)... (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB934753154504300864.html)

I found this article that I read a long time ago (but for some reason it got lost)...

4Kids Entertainment Signs New Five-Year Agreement With Pokemon USA/Leading Children's Entertainment Company Acquires 3% Interest In The Pokemon Company.
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/4Kids...ive-Year+Agreement+With+Pokemon...-a079018670

"The Pokemon Company will centralize and streamline the brand management of Pokemon throughout the world," said Al Kahn, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of 4Kids Entertainment. "As a 3% equity owner in The Pokemon Company, 4Kids can, for the first time, benefit indirectly from Pokemon's success in Asia and from worldwide sales of Pokemon electronic cards and video games. We have also been advised that, among other objectives, The Pokemon Company is considering the possibility of a future initial public offering of its shares in Japan. This would place a market value on the Pokemon franchise and build value for 4Kids' shareholders," stated Kahn.

Now being the enterprising chap that I am, I did a lot of digging into the current state of 4 Kids. After lots of ridiculous debts and lots of failed ventures the company re-emerges, WITH ALL ITS EQUITY INTACT, TODAY, as 4Licensing Corporation under the Pink Sheet FOUR

Naturally, knowing the value of Pokemon I went over to buy some of this penny-level stock... Then I thought to myself... "Nintendo probably had a clever put-call option of some kind the way they did with Rare incase 4Kids stopped performing" and decided to go back and dig into tons of old SEC filings until I found the home run (the re-emerged company still has no filings, no traded volume, etc)

http://yahoo.brand.edgar-online.com...panyid=2289&ppu=%2fdefault.aspx%3fcik%3d58592

Investment in Equity Securities – In September 2001, the Company purchased a 3% equity interest in the Pokémon Company, a closely held Japanese company, which was organized in 1998 by Nintendo Co. Ltd, Creatures, Inc. and Game Freak, Inc. (the “Investment Group”), to manage and control all rights to “Pokémon” throughout the world. The Company accounted for this investment on a cost basis. In October 2005, the Company sold its interest in equal shares to the members of the Investment Group for aggregate proceeds of $960, resulting in a gain of $234 as reflected on the accompanying consolidated statements of income.

So looks like 4Kids sold out of their share in TPCi for a measly $960k in 2005 (based on 10K)... Probably not what they wanted but I'm sure when Nintendo and Creatures agreed to dilute themselves, they could get rid of 4Kids anytime they wanted... Looks like they did... So it's safe to say that TPCi is now either equally split among the three shareholders (at 1/3rd each) or if repurchasing the stock led to a gross up then Game freak technically owns almost 34% while Creatures and Nintendo are sitting at 33% (again roughly since gross-ups don't exactly just add a single percentage back like that)

Or maybe 4Kids really believed that the TPCi entity was only worth ~30 million dollars (given Game Freak itself collects revenues for developing the game and Creatures collects an individual licensing fee while Nintendo collects game licensing and for a while, publishing profits as well)? This was also the dark period of late 2005 when Nintendo's own stock had fallen and the EV of the company was <$5 billion - the games were still selling well but all the merchandise was all gone... I guess we will never know what would have had happened or the exact arrangement between the parties...

Sadly I went back and looked through 4Kids earlier filings, but since the equity method was not used (and the investment was done using the cost method... WTF? Didn't these guys ever hear of SarbOx? No wonder the company crashed and burned) - I have no clear numbers to determine valuation of the Pokemon Company over time other than Nintendo's incredibly vague Japanese accounting-based documents that we have today (with wonky fair-value rules that really don't tell us much)...

Anyways, thought you guys might find that interesting... Looks like I still can't retire since 4 Licensing doesn't own any part of TPCi =/ So much for my dreams of buying the ultimate penny stock =/

Will keep digging and update this if I learn more...

I have a call setup with a friend of mine who was involved with 4 Kids Bankruptcy... If I get the court documents (assuming they are made public record) I'll post any juicy tidbits about the valuation of TPCi

I've never heard mention of anything like this before. Everyone only ever discusses the big three shareholders.

Impressive research! Thanks for sharing it.

JoeM86

I've never heard mention of anything like this before. Everyone only ever discusses the big three shareholders.

Impressive research! Thanks for sharing it.

To be fair, the company has been without them for almost 7 and a half years and only had 4kids for four years.

This helps further explain the shift away from 4kids for the anime back in 2006. People often thought it was TPCi just "seizing" control, but 4kids are the ones who dropped their interest in it.

JoeM86

Like it did save the Gamecube.

To be fair, Pokémon was in a lull then. Those games were Generation III and Generation III are the worst selling Pokémon games. Ruby & Sapphire only mustered 13 million with FRLG 12 million. Yes I know that's still higher than nearly every non-Pokémon game, but those are the lowest figures ever for a start of a generation

Excellent post. I don't have anything to add as you've done a thoroughly great job of researching this and presenting your findings, other than just to say great work.

Good work mate, 4Kids really screwed the pooch eh? To think that their 3% could be worth much much more today.

Waiting for inevitable shameless repost by "games journalism" without crediting the OP.

Takao

Banned
To be fair, the company has been without them for almost 7 and a half years and only had 4kids for four years.

This helps further explain the shift away from 4kids for the anime back in 2006. People often thought it was TPCi just "seizing" control, but 4kids are the ones who dropped their interest in it.

IIRC the Japanese felt 4Kids was hiding money from them. The same would happen to the company in regards to Yu-Gi-Oh! a few years later.

To be fair, Pokémon was in a lull then. Those games were Generation III and Generation III are the worst selling Pokémon games. Ruby & Sapphire only mustered 13 million with FRLG 12 million. Yes I know that's still higher than nearly every non-Pokémon game, but those are the lowest figures ever for a start of a generation
It is extraordinary that 23 million over two sets of games constitutes a 'lull'.

Guess when you look at the rest it really is though.

Creatures is separate from NCL - some of the ex-Ape folks are involved in Creatures so there is history of Nintendo collaboration (and some Nintendo managers that moved over) - but other than that NCL does not own any equity in them to the best of my knowledge

Top Bottom