• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

alexandros
Member
(03-03-2013, 03:48 PM)
alexandros's Avatar
Apologies if this is old, I searched but found nothing. Infinity Ward posted an image on their Facebook and Twitter account:

Facebook

Twitter

Seems familiar, doesn't it? It's the Piston prototype from the company Xi3, a company that Valve invested in. Could this be a Steambox "devkit", so to speak? Or is it a prototype that Valve or Xi3 sent over to Infinity Ward as a proof of concept? Note that the device is branded with Infinity Ward's logo. The photo on Facebook is labeled as "game development", while the caption on Twitter simply states "what's this?"

I saw the news over at Gamespot, full article here: http://www.gamespot.com/news/infinit...ton-pc-6404742
legacyzero
Member
(03-03-2013, 03:51 PM)
legacyzero's Avatar
I really hope that's not the Steambox...

What can something that tiny do?
Nokterian
Member
(03-03-2013, 03:52 PM)
Nokterian's Avatar
Infinity Ward and PC do not compute at least this 'new' IW.
Eideka
Banned
(03-03-2013, 03:52 PM)
That's weird.
erpg
GAF parliamentarian
(03-03-2013, 03:52 PM)
erpg's Avatar
Yes, I'm sure they're developing for PC.
OldJadedGamer
Banned
(03-03-2013, 03:53 PM)
OldJadedGamer's Avatar
IW disbanded years ago
King_Moc
Member
(03-03-2013, 03:55 PM)
King_Moc's Avatar
No one would be developing specifically for the Steambox. It's just a PC, but with functionality stripped away.
injurai
Member
(03-03-2013, 03:58 PM)
injurai's Avatar

Originally Posted by legacyzero

I really hope that's not the Steambox...

What can something that tiny do?

I'm fine if it's a bit small, but please be a dev unit. That think looks atrocious.
JaseC
gave away the keys to the kingdom.
(03-03-2013, 03:58 PM)
JaseC's Avatar
It's a bit of a stretch to assume that's anything to do the Steambox concept as Xi3 has been selling that form factor for quite some time now.

Originally Posted by legacyzero

I really hope that's not the Steambox...

What can something that tiny do?

Technically, there is no the Steambox. While Valve will be offerings its own variant, which is presumably what alexandros suspects this may be, Gabe has made it abundantly clear that manufacturers are free to provide their own.

Originally Posted by King_Moc

No one would be developing specifically for the Steambox. It's just a PC, but with functionality stripped away.

Such as? From everything Gabe's said about Valve's plan for its own Steambox, people are free to configure it as they see fit, even to the extent that you can wipe Linux and install Windows if you so desire.
Last edited by JaseC; 03-03-2013 at 04:04 PM.
angular graphics
Banned
(03-03-2013, 03:59 PM)
angular graphics's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lyphen

Yes, I'm sure they're developing for PC.

Basically, this.
alexandros
Member
(03-03-2013, 04:00 PM)
alexandros's Avatar

Originally Posted by JaseC

Technically, there is no the Steambox. While Valve will be offerings its own variant, which is presumably what alexandros suspects this may be, Gabe has made it abundantly clear that manufacturers are free to provide their own.

Just to clear this up, this assumption is made by Gamespot's article ,not me.
JaseC
gave away the keys to the kingdom.
(03-03-2013, 04:01 PM)
JaseC's Avatar

Originally Posted by alexandros

Just to clear this up, this assumption is made by Gamespot's article ,not me.

Ah, right. That's what the quote tag is for. ;)
HoosTrax
Member
(03-03-2013, 04:01 PM)
HoosTrax's Avatar
What's in the lower part?
alexandros
Member
(03-03-2013, 04:02 PM)
alexandros's Avatar

Originally Posted by HoosTrax

What's in the lower part?

I don't know. The Piston is supposed to be a modular PC, so is it possible that the bottom part is housing a graphics chip?
Haunted
(03-03-2013, 04:02 PM)
Haunted's Avatar
Getting a device with your company's logo on it implies a deeper partnership. With whom? I dunno.
HolyBaikal
Japanese Culture Expert
(03-03-2013, 04:02 PM)
HolyBaikal's Avatar

Originally Posted by legacyzero

What can something that tiny do?

Given the kinds of non-custom cards and CPUs people have shoved into micro-pcs, you'd be surprised.
JaseC
gave away the keys to the kingdom.
(03-03-2013, 04:02 PM)
JaseC's Avatar

Originally Posted by HoosTrax

What's in the lower part?

The HDD is my guess.
King_Moc
Member
(03-03-2013, 04:04 PM)
King_Moc's Avatar

Originally Posted by JaseC

Such as? From everything Gabe's said about Valve's plan for its own Steambox, people are free to configure it as they see fit, even to the extent that you can wipe Linux and install Windows if you so desire.

Even if you are able to do that, you're unable to upgrade when newer PC games come out. Towards the end of the console gen, that could be a big problem.
Detox
Member
(03-03-2013, 04:05 PM)
Detox's Avatar
Maybe Activision is trying to make a COD box?
JaseC
gave away the keys to the kingdom.
(03-03-2013, 04:06 PM)
JaseC's Avatar

Originally Posted by King_Moc

Even if you are able to do that, you're unable to upgrade when newer PC games come out. Towards the end of the console gen, that could be a big problem.

Oh, sure, but I'd argue that falls under customisability (what the user can alter), not functionality (capabilities inherent to the device).
Last edited by JaseC; 03-03-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Saty
Member
(03-03-2013, 04:06 PM)
Saty's Avatar
Wouldn't that be the 'Good' tier which is supposed to stream games from your PC to the living room?
Whompa
Member
(03-03-2013, 04:07 PM)
Whompa's Avatar

Originally Posted by OldJadedGamer

IW disbanded years ago

http://www.infinityward.com/

Wanna stop making stuff up?
JaseC
gave away the keys to the kingdom.
(03-03-2013, 04:07 PM)
JaseC's Avatar

Originally Posted by Detox

Maybe Activision is trying to make a COD box?

Call of Duty: Black Box. CODBLOX.
Diablo Rosso
Member
(03-03-2013, 04:08 PM)
Diablo Rosso's Avatar
The real Infinity Ward are now known as Respawn.
legacyzero
Member
(03-03-2013, 04:08 PM)
legacyzero's Avatar

Originally Posted by Whompa

http://www.infinityward.com/

Wanna stop making stuff up?

I don't think that's what he meant
HoosTrax
Member
(03-03-2013, 04:08 PM)
HoosTrax's Avatar

Originally Posted by King_Moc

Even if you are able to do that, you're unable to upgrade when newer PC games come out. Towards the end of the console gen, that could be a big problem.

It's supposed to be somewhat modular.

Nokterian
Member
(03-03-2013, 04:09 PM)
Nokterian's Avatar

Originally Posted by Whompa

http://www.infinityward.com/

Wanna stop making stuff up?

All the people who worked on Modern Warfare 1 and 2 are now Respawn Entertainment. The original team who made Call of Duty. At least 50% are gone there or more. So there is nothing left of the original team.
Jhriad
Member
(03-03-2013, 04:10 PM)
Jhriad's Avatar
From the picture I think we can all take away the fact that IW is developing exclusively for the iPhone.
animlboogy
Member
(03-03-2013, 04:11 PM)
animlboogy's Avatar

Originally Posted by King_Moc

No one would be developing specifically for the Steambox. It's just a PC, but with functionality stripped away.

It's not even that. It's just a PC. The only difference is that it doesn't have Windows pre-installed. Considering how most new machines have Windows 8 which nobody wants, you might as well say the same about most PCs sitting in stores today.

This model specifically could be related to Valve, but most likely is just the same small, modular PC that this company offers that got Valve to invest in them in the first place.

Originally Posted by King_Moc

Even if you are able to do that, you're unable to upgrade when newer PC games come out. Towards the end of the console gen, that could be a big problem.

Being both small and modular (upgradable) is the entire point of this thing. It's why it's interesting, although the current prices make it less attractive at the moment. Maybe you should look into this stuff, you're a bit off on this topic. :)
daripad
Junior Member
(03-03-2013, 04:13 PM)
daripad's Avatar
Is the steambox still going to exist? We haven't heard anything about it for a long time
grimshawish
Banned
(03-03-2013, 04:14 PM)
So that is the steambox??
Honestly the concept behind that machine (stick it to the back of your monitor!) is really very flawed.

So much fucking confusion.
angular graphics
Banned
(03-03-2013, 04:15 PM)
angular graphics's Avatar

Originally Posted by daripad

Is the steambox still going to exist? We haven't heard anything about it for a long time

If by "long time" you mean less than a month, then uh.. sure.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/07/ga...-much-much-lo/
FordGTGuy
Member
(03-03-2013, 04:16 PM)
FordGTGuy's Avatar
Steambox = Any PC running Steam Big Picture mode.

So yes Steambox will run IW games already available on Windows.
Doffen
Member
(03-03-2013, 04:17 PM)
Doffen's Avatar
MW4 confirmed for iPhone!!
angular graphics
Banned
(03-03-2013, 04:18 PM)
angular graphics's Avatar

Originally Posted by grimshawish

So that is the steambox??
Honestly the concept behind that machine (stick it to the back of your monitor!) is really very flawed.

So much fucking confusion.

No, that's not a Steambox. It's a machine Xi3 created. Valve has not come up with the Steambox specs yet, so no machine is a Steambox yet. See my thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...49&postcount=1
FordGTGuy
Member
(03-03-2013, 04:27 PM)
FordGTGuy's Avatar

Originally Posted by angular graphics

No, that's not a Steambox. It's a machine Xi3 created. Valve has not come up with the Steambox specs yet, so no machine is a Steambox yet. See my thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...49&postcount=1

This is untrue, we already know that Steambox isn't strictly a single device but any device that runs the Big Picture Mode. There will be nothing unique or special about the hardware used and the only thing that matters really is the software.

Anyone running Steam right now is basically using a Steambox in any sense of it.

If Steambox was a single piece of hardware this would be difference but we already know that there will be multiple parties building hardware built to run it. It's not even restricted to a certain operating system as they said you'll be able to install Windows on the dedicated hardware these parties are building.

Technically anyone with money and access to NewEgg could build their own Steambox easily.

Originally Posted by HolyBaikal

This "it's just a PC" talk is kind of depressing. Given that this isn't going to drag more console players over the realm given that no one is being told it will work decently as a console.

I really want Valve and the hardware endeavors of it to appeal to console gamers. And if people say it is "just a PC", nobody is going to buy it. This is specifically aimed at not being just a PC, but more like a console as to remove some of the hassle of PC gaming away for console gamers afraid of the platform.

Sadly in reality that's what it is, it's most likely going to be a small, cheap Linux PC that runs Steam.

This is a expensive Steambox:


http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51/pd.aspx
Last edited by FordGTGuy; 03-03-2013 at 04:34 PM.
HolyBaikal
Japanese Culture Expert
(03-03-2013, 04:28 PM)
HolyBaikal's Avatar
This "it's just a PC" talk is kind of depressing. Given that this isn't going to drag more console players over the realm given that no one is being told it will work decently as a console.

I really want Valve and the hardware endeavors of it to appeal to console gamers. And if people say it is "just a PC", nobody is going to buy it. This is specifically aimed at not being just a PC, but more like a console as to remove some of the hassle of PC gaming away for console gamers afraid of the platform.
JaseC
gave away the keys to the kingdom.
(03-03-2013, 04:32 PM)
JaseC's Avatar

Originally Posted by HolyBaikal

This "it's just a PC" talk is kind of depressing. Given that this isn't going to drag more console players over the realm given that no one is being told it will work decently as a console.

I really want Valve and the hardware endeavors of it to appeal to console gamers. And if people say it is "just a PC", nobody is going to buy it. This is specifically aimed at not being just a PC, but more like a console as to remove some of the hassle of PC gaming away for console gamers afraid of the platform.

You're conflating contexts. As a gaming device a user interacts with, a Steambox is more like a console; from a development standpoint, however, it's like a PC, because it is one.
Last edited by JaseC; 03-03-2013 at 04:43 PM.
angular graphics
Banned
(03-03-2013, 04:33 PM)
angular graphics's Avatar

Originally Posted by FordGTGuy

This is untrue, we already know that Steambox isn't strictly a single device but any device that runs the Big Picture Mode. There will be nothing unique or special about the hardware used and the only thing that matters really is the software.

Anyone running Steam right now is basically using a Steambox in any sense of it.

If Steambox was a single piece of hardware this would be difference but we already know that there will be multiple parties building hardware built to run it. It's not even restricted to a certain operating system as they said you'll be able to install Windows on the dedicated hardware these parties are building.

Technically anyone with money and access to NewEgg could build their own Steambox easily.

No, that's not true. Only the machines that meet/are within Valve's specifications will be called Steamboxes. Every machine can run Steam's BPM but not every machine is a Steambox.
FordGTGuy
Member
(03-03-2013, 04:36 PM)
FordGTGuy's Avatar

Originally Posted by angular graphics

No, that's not true. Only the machines that meet/are within Valve's specifications will be called Steamboxes. Every machine can run Steam's BPM but not every machine is a Steambox.

Oh c'mon now are you really going to say that a Steambox is only something that fits the specifications Valve will use to build their Steambox.

There isn't going to be anything unique about their hardware it's pretty clear it's just a cheap Linux Box.

The only unique thing about it is the software the same software anyone with a PC can access right now.

PC developers are not going to develop and limit themselves to the specs of what Valve chooses for their specific Steambox, even more so considering not every party building a Steambox will have the same specs.

Originally Posted by JaseC

You're conflating contexts. As a device a user interacts with, a Steambox is more like a console; from a development standpoint, however, it's like a PC, because it is one.

How do you not interact with it like a PC? it's going to be running a normal version of Linux with Steam installed.

The only thing special they'll probably do is make it start with Steam Big Picture mode by default which you can already do right now.
Last edited by FordGTGuy; 03-03-2013 at 04:39 PM.
angular graphics
Banned
(03-03-2013, 04:40 PM)
angular graphics's Avatar

Originally Posted by FordGTGuy

Oh c'mon now are you really going to say that a Steambox is only something that fits the specifications Valve will use to build their Steambox.

There isn't going to be anything unique about their hardware it's pretty clear it's just a cheap Linux Box.

The only unique thing about it is the software the same software anyone with a PC can access right now.

PC developers are not going to develop and limit themselves to the specs of what Valve chooses for their specific Steambox, even more so considering not every party building a Steambox will have the same specs.

And Macs are nothing but ordinary PCs but I don't call my computer a Mac, while I could (and had at some point) install Mac OS just fine.
JaseC
gave away the keys to the kingdom.
(03-03-2013, 04:41 PM)
JaseC's Avatar

Originally Posted by FordGTGuy

How do you not interact with it like a PC? it's going to be running a normal version of Linux with Steam installed.

The only thing special they'll probably do is make it start with Steam Big Picture mode by default which you can already do right now.

As a gaming device, I meant. I'll edit that in. (Although I'd wager that Valve's product will ship with a customised Ubuntu UI that offers access to basic settings and such with a controller, with a regular Ubuntu environment accessible with a kb&m.)
FordGTGuy
Member
(03-03-2013, 04:41 PM)
FordGTGuy's Avatar

Originally Posted by angular graphics

And Macs are nothing but ordinary PCs but I don't call my computer a Mac, while I could (and had at some point) installed Mac OS just fine.

Dude they already said you'll be able to install Windows on the Steamboxes and that they aren't going to restrict it from working like a normal computer.

Someone please tell me what about these Steamboxes is actually unique to them that I can't already do myself right now?

I want a reason to own one or a reason to properly think of these as a competitor to consoles but I just don't see any.
Last edited by FordGTGuy; 03-03-2013 at 04:45 PM.
angular graphics
Banned
(03-03-2013, 04:48 PM)
angular graphics's Avatar

Originally Posted by FordGTGuy

Dude they already said you'll be able to install Windows on the Steamboxes and that they aren't going to restrict it from working like a normal computer.

Someone please tell me what about these Steamboxes is actually unique to them that I can't already do myself right now?

I want a reason to own one or a reason to properly think of these as a competitor to consoles but I just don't see any.

Yeah, so? What's so hard to understand? If a machine is within Valve's specs it is a Steambox, otherwise it's not.

For example:

If a quad-core is required then a tri-core PC is not a Steambox.
If a PC must be < 0.4m then a big ass 1m PC is not a Steambox.

Can both of those PCs run Steam's BPM? Yes, perhaps even better than a Steambox PC.
Can they run games? Yes, perhaps even better than a Steambox PC.
Are they Steamboxes? No.
Atomski
Member
(03-03-2013, 04:58 PM)
Atomski's Avatar

Originally Posted by FordGTGuy

Dude they already said you'll be able to install Windows on the Steamboxes and that they aren't going to restrict it from working like a normal computer.

Someone please tell me what about these Steamboxes is actually unique to them that I can't already do myself right now?

I want a reason to own one or a reason to properly think of these as a competitor to consoles but I just don't see any.

The simple answer is there isnt a reason. This is aimed at a more casual crowd that is not so comfortable with PC stuff.

If you already are a PC gamer there is no point. Just throw a Steambox logo on your rig and you are done. Software stuff will become available like the linux stuff.

I dont see what the problem with this is for some people..
alexandros
Member
(03-03-2013, 05:02 PM)
alexandros's Avatar

Originally Posted by FordGTGuy

I want a reason to own one or a reason to properly think of these as a competitor to consoles but I just don't see any.

Do you though? Do you really? Because from the posts you made, it doesn't seem like you have a firm grasp on what the Steambox is supposed to be.
HolyBaikal
Japanese Culture Expert
(03-03-2013, 05:24 PM)
HolyBaikal's Avatar

Originally Posted by JaseC

development standpoint, however, it's like a PC, because it is one.

Somehow I get the feeling that is not what the console gaming community is hearing from the gaming community. But instead "it's basically a crappy PC!" or something like that.

And then will just go back to buying consoles.
angular graphics
Banned
(03-03-2013, 05:28 PM)
angular graphics's Avatar
Thankfully, the new consoles are crappy* PCs too! Let's share the fun!

*"crappy" replaced with "supercharged" by Sony :lol
RooMHM
Member
(03-03-2013, 05:31 PM)
RooMHM's Avatar
Where do you put TITAN in this thing? -_-
JaseC
gave away the keys to the kingdom.
(03-03-2013, 05:37 PM)
JaseC's Avatar

Originally Posted by HolyBaikal

Somehow I get the feeling that is not what the console gaming community is hearing from the gaming community. But instead "it's basically a crappy PC!" or something like that.

And then will just go back to buying consoles.

It's still early days yet. The catalyst for Valve acknowledging the Steambox concept was Xi3's misguidedly premature announcement early into the year that it'd partnered with Valve, which quickly generated copious confusion; it wasn't something Valve itself was ready to discuss just yet, which is why we've received little in the way of specifics.

Thread Tools