• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you prefer the new Tomb Raider or Uncharted?

I remember everyone drawing the comparisons pre-launch of Tomb Raider. Now that it's out what do you think? Won't lie, I love the game so far (4 hrs in btw).

Having finished the game, It isn't really uncharted.

It is an evolution of underworld mashed with Arkham Asylum in my opinion.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'll let you know once I finish the game in about a week.

Without having played any of Tomb Raider I'm going to say it's going to have a very difficult time topping Uncharted 2, and it had better top the swill that was Uncharted 3.

Darkkn

3 hours in and it's better than Uncharted games thus far. It does not have the impact of UC2, but overall it's more solid game so far. More exploration and creepier tone are the biggest differences.

Tucah

you speak so well
Although there are clearly Uncharted influences, it's not really exactly like the Uncharted games.

That being said, it's fun but no Uncharted 2 so far.

After Uncharted 3 I'm so tired of Uncharted that I don't even care if Tomb Raider does the cinematic experience formular better or worse.

Dahbomb

Its for sure better than UC3 but the jury is still out on UC2. I like it a bit better than the UC games but it really depends upon how much weight someone places on the story/characters.

mxgt

Banned
Uncharted is a bad series of games outside the cut scenes

Tomb Raider is better in almost every regard but still has basically everything I consider bad about modern games shoved into it.

VashTS

I can't wait for similar threads when Remember Me and Star Wars 1313 release!

Also, so far the game is waaay better than Uncharted 3.

Derrick01

Banned
So far I'll take Uncharted.

Look both games have their own shitty elements but Uncharted at least has an identity....hell it basically created one that a lot of the industry tries to copy now.

Tomb Raider has no identity. It copies Uncharted, it copies Red Dead, it copies Far Cry 3 (who also copied a ton of other games), it copies Bioshock's journals/audio logs, it copies Ubisoft's checklist collectibles that overload you with XP, it copies Batman's detective mode, it copies minor elements from RPGs. The entire game is a long checklist of modern game features that OTHER people did first.

Wasp14

Wait wat?????

If this is going to turn into another bashing thread without any opinions as to why I'll bow out early. Uncharted may be a lot of things but it's not a bad game that "sucks".

I've yet to play the new Tomb Raider, but if it borrows some elements from Uncharted that make it better that's great. I was hoping while playing as Nathan Drake that some of the platforming ideas would make it into TR. I've always preferred Lara Croft as a protagonist so a mixture of both games would make me really happy.

The Lamp

Well Uncharted mostly sucks so there's not a high bar set on that side.

In what ways does Uncharted suck compared to what Tomb Raider is trying to do? I feel like if you disliked Uncharted you'd probably dislike what Tomb Raider tried to do with it.

panty

Uncharted 2 > Uncharted 3 > Tomb Raider > Uncharted 1.

It's a nice game but it could be better. The camera is really frustrating on PC, almost tearing my head off.

I like the new Lara a lot.

sp3000

They both suck. Linear, QTE garbage fests that railroad you along to the next shooting gallery.

Third person cover shooters are worse than modern military shooters at this point.

Vitor711

I think that UC is a more refined series, with far, far better writing and overall narrative but MY GOD, the level design in Tomb Raider is frankly fantastic. It's not a full Metroid-vania experience but I love how large and open ended the levels feel.

Combat is serviceable if unremarkable but the melee quirks are a nice touch. Overall, colour me impressed by a game I was fully expecting to hate.

stuminus3

Quake III!

Wait... um...

OK, I haven't played the new TR yet (it's waiting for me at home for after work when the kids are in bed) but one thing I'll say is that as much as I enjoyed the Uncharted games, none of them replicated how I felt playing TR1/2 back in the PS1 days... I've been hoping TR reboot takes me back to that but it looks like it's going to be Uncharted with a girl, which makes me a little sad. So what I'm saying is I don't care if TR reboot or Uncharted is the better game because neither of them replicate the TR1/2 experience for me.

Opinion may change after I actually play the reboot. ^_^

Mesoian

They both suck. Linear, QTE garbage fests that railroad you along to the next shooting gallery.

Third person cover shooters are worse than modern military shooters at this point.

image.php

Oppo

I'll play this at some point, but I have a really hard time believing it's better than any of the Uncharteds.

Metacritic agrees with this so far.

Spongebob

Banned
While there are similarities between the two games, they really aren't the same types of games. Uncharted is far more linear.

eXistor

I hate how SE marketed the game, the final product is nothing like I thought it would be. I was ready to hate the game, but I think it's the best game I've played this year so far (not that is perfect, far from it). The Uncharted influence is there, but this is clearly a far more open game, much much more to do and the level-design shits all over Uncharted's linear levels. I love that there's a bit of Metroid in there, Metroid-lite perhaps, but Metroid nontheless.

I've only played about 3 hours, so my fairly high opinion of it could collapse perhaps, but as of now it's Tomb Raider>every Uncharted, even though I think the games are vastly different in design.

Funny how that went.

Uncharted is trying to be lara croft (according to some general consensus on the past: Tom Raider, Dude Raider, etc).

Now we have lara trying to be drake.

I have not played Tomb Raider, so I can't directly compare. But some of the stuff happening screams "we tried to go uncharted". Multiplayer included.

Except they don't have the ND magic in animation.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Look both games have their own shitty elements but Uncharted at least has an identity....hell it basically created one that a lot of the industry tries to copy now.

Tomb Raider has no identity. It copies Uncharted, it copies Red Dead, it copies Far Cry 3 (who also copied a ton of other games), it copies Bioshock's journals/audio logs, it copies Ubisoft's checklist collectibles that overload you with XP, it copies Batman's detective mode, it copies minor elements from RPGs. The entire game is a long checklist of modern game features that OTHER people did first.

TBF how could it copy Far cry 3 the game came out a few months ago and games tend to take 2 years of development, seems more like a coincidence than anything.

Mendrox

I like it way more than Uncharted 1 and 3, but Uncharted 2 had a different kind of impact.
Tomb Raider is never the less a phenomenal game that everybody should give a try. The pacing is on par with Uncharted 2.

Kallor

Haven't played it, but from the videos it definitely gave me a Far Cry 3 vibe in a way that it lacked soul of its own.

Hows the MP gaf?

Top Bottom