• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid, 7, dies after a 'Swirlie' due to pulmonar infection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
GUADALAJARA, JALISCO. (Mexico).

San Antonio Union neighbors gave a sad farewell to Jonathan, a seven years old child who died last Saturday, presumed victim of prolonged bullying inflicted by a 10 years old classmate. The older student used to routinely beat and rob the kid and, in one of the latest attacks, he submerged the child's head in to a dirty toilet at one of the public school bathrooms.

After his mother noticed the declining health her child, Jonathan was first attended at the local Centro Médico de Lagos de Moreno, where an advanced pulmonary infection was detected. Then it was decided that he had to be translated to the bigger Centro Médico de Occidente del IMSS, in the Mexican metropolis of Guadalajara. During the trip the child suffered three respiratory arrest and lost his life.

Jonathan's parents are demanding justice to the State's General Attorney, because they assure that the child was victim of "bullying" and that the School should improve surveillance on the children, because, as they have claimed, the attacks against the kids had have been increasing over last several weeks.

Source (Spanish).

I'm not used to post articles translated by myself. Please, feel free to point out any mistakes and improvements needed.

Kids are fucking brutal.

My daughter got in trouble for pushing a boy down and his parents got all mad. But of course, that was not the full story. He had been teasing her a lot and she finally had too much and pushed him down.

And apparently some other girls beat him up later for his teasing. I guess my daughter got a 'girl posse'.
KuGsj.gif
Had to have a talk with her. But both sides were definitely guilty of being jerks.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I hate bullies as much as the next guy, but is there evidence that the swirlie caused the infection?

I think we're going to start seeing more stories about how bullying started a chain of events that lead to death, and people will act like that's the same thing as bullying = murder.

Skeyser

I hate bullies as much as the next guy, but is there evidence that the swirlie caused the infection?

I think we're going to start seeing more stories about how bullying started a chain of events that lead to death, and people will act like that's the same thing as bullying = murder.

shoving someone's head in a dirty toilet is pretty fucked up either way

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
shoving someone's head in a dirty toilet is pretty fucked up either way

Absolutely. And I want bullies to be stopped and their behavior to be treated very seriously.

I'm just concerned about faulty causal reasoning taking hold in the popular bully narrative.

Dram

I wonder why teachers don't take bullying seriously? They had to have known something was going on, yet they didn't do anything.

Swirly's are so fucked up. I would murder a kid if he tried that shit on me when I was in school. And I literally mean murder.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

Well, every report here states the cause as a fact. It may be typical medial sensationalism, but the incident being the cause is very possible imo.

mackattk

I wonder why teachers don't take bullying seriously? They had to have known something was going on, yet they didn't do anything.

I am sure many do, but they might have their hands tied to help fix the problem. Anyone have any input on this?

I would like to have definitive proof as well. I'd say it probably increased his chances of the infection multiple fold though.

If it is found out to be the case though, I hope the parents get justice from the state. This shit should not be happening whether it was the actual cause of death or not.

Colin.

Kids are fucking brutal.

My daughter got in trouble for pushing a boy down and his parents got all mad. But of course, that was not the full story.
He had been teasing her a lot and she finally had too much and pushed him down.

And apparently some other girls beat him up later for his teasing. I guess my daughter got a 'girl posse'.
KuGsj.gif
Had to have a talk with her. But both sides were definitely guilty of being jerks.

I think that's one of the problems in schools. When a child is harassed and they take action to sort it out themselves they are automatically the guilty party. Rather than getting to the bottom of the problem and find out why it happened.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
When I was in elementary school, I think a lot of teachers were simply lazy and couldn't be assed to really care. The most common default line I heard from elementary school teachers whenever I told them about any sort of bullying was "just avoid him/her".

Don't get me wrong; some teachers are genuinely great and really go out of their way to help kids grow. But a lot of teachers are just phoning it in to get their paycheck/wait for retirement.

Madness

Swirly's are so fucked up. I would murder a kid if he tried that shit on me when I was in school. And I literally mean murder.

No you wouldn't. And that is dangerous thinking, if you make the decision to kill someone.

I'll explain, if the bully has enough power over you that he is routinely picking on you, giving you swirlies, he has power over you and you are already paralyzed from fear.

It's easy to say I'd do this, or I'd do that. But if you are 7 and a 10 year old is doing this, you really have no options. Where are the adults here? Where is someone who can help?

I've been a victim of extensive and fucked up bullying my whole life, and I'm just glad that I either grew taller and bigger than my bullies or learned to laugh with the bullies at myself. I hate bullies with a passion.

seb_n

Could someone please explain what a swirly is? (UK here, havent heard of the term before)

edit: nm, just reread the op. does that really still happen :/

People hate confrontation and conflict.

Also, they seek the approval of the popular kids the same as the kids do.

Could someone please explain what a swirly is? (UK here, havent heard of the term before)

A bunch of kids grab another kid by the ankles, dip his head in the toilet and flush it.

edit: nm, just reread the op. does that really still happen :/

I'm surprised it does. It was long dead by the time I started school in 1991. But, it still had its legendary status, like a myth.

Dram

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_pranks#Swirlie
The act of holding the victim upside down and dunking his or her head in a toilet bowl while flushing. Typically perpetrated by two or more older, larger individuals, this type of bullying can be dangerous as it can result in the drowning of the victim. Instances of swirling have been prosecuted in courts. More commonly known as bogwashing in the UK, dunnyflushing in Australia and New Zealand, or brainwashing in India.

Disgusting. The bully should go to juvie definitely.
There is playing rough and there is straight up murder.
If I was the father of the bully... don't even want to think what I would do.

Amon37

Made me think of Southpark

From the test results, it would appear your child was tortured by a bully. He received a massive snuggie, his underwear pulled up so high it nearly killed him. He also received two Indian sunburns on his forearms, a charlie horse on the thigh, and a second-degree titty twister. And from the damage to his head area, it appears he was also given a swirly, a colossal one.It also looks like he received a noogie, and, a Polish bike ride.

andthebeatgoeson

He could have easily aspirated and get a pneumonia. Not hard to envision medically. Weird bacteria, missed diagnosis and death. Just ask yourself: what's the likelihood a Mexican hospital missed the diagnosis?

jbueno

He could have easily aspirated and get a pneumonia. Not hard to envision medically. Weird bacteria, missed diagnosis and death. Just ask yourself: what's the likelihood a Mexican hospital missed the diagnosis?

As much as any other Hospital in the world, really. Medical error is not exclusive to third world countries.

Zaptruder

Banned
So... basically kids are doing full blown torture on each other, and we as a society sit somewhat apathetic because the things they do have cute names attached to them?

Swirlies sound worse than been waterboarded.

Protein

Banned
I think the police should be involved if the bullying is severe and nothing is done. Put those little pricks in juvie. Bullying can really fuck with a kids head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom