• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Nintendo era had the best box art. Can next Gen please go back to that?

Seriously whoever was designing the box arts for SNES games did an amazing job at creating eye grabbing imagery that made you want to play the game. Modern games have extremely boring covers now and majority of the time it will just depict the main characters holding guns trying hard to look cool.

Super+Nintendo+Box+Art23.jpg

Super+Nintendo+Box+Art1.jpg

SNES-maui-mallard_front.jpg

scIV_box.jpg

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
For a second I thought this was about the Super Nintendo bit surrounding the actual art and I was gonna say HELL NO.

Not enough orange and blue otherwise. Now that we've discovered contrast, we are unstoppable!

Takao

Banned

This looks exactly like what you're criticizing. It's the main character trying to look cool while holding a weapon...

Quackula

Box art has no place in an all digital future.

:(

What? Sure it does. I've yet to find a download game that didn't have some sort of image representation. MP3s still come with album art, Downloadable movies still come with posters, etc. Even in a digital future, box art isn't going anywhere.

mjcover.jpg

Yeah, i want more covers like this.

Already nailing that blue/orange contrast!

smr00

Banned
Seriously whoever was designing the box arts for SNES games did an amazing job at creating eye grabbing imagery that made you want to play the game. Modern games have extremely boring covers now and majority of the time it will just depict the main characters holding guns trying hard to look cool.

Super+Nintendo+Box+Art23.jpg

Super+Nintendo+Box+Art1.jpg

scIV_box.jpg
You do know almost every cover you showed depicts the characters trying to look cool while holding weapons, right?

Quackula

I would prefer if we went back to more traditional art for game covers and less CG render, but eh.

CG renders of characters holding guns is basically the video game version of 'floating heads'

SRTtoZ

Am I the only person who doesnt give a shit about box art? I take the game out and put the case away never to be seen again.

kitsuneyo

SNES box arts were never good

SFC box arts were sometimes good

I agree. The Japanese box arts were always better. Street Fighter SNES box arts in the US and Europe were particularly ugly.

Secret of Mana is the only good US box art posted in this thread so far. Rest I don't like.

baphomet

Definitely not. Nostalgia glasses at its finest. Ill bet you think you grew up with the greatest cartoons and toys as well? Everything you say about boxes this generation was very plentiful in the 16bit era as well. It's just nostalgia clouding your memories.

Definitely not. Nostalgia glasses at its finest. Ill bet you think you grew up with the greatest cartoons and toys as well? Everything you say about boxes this generation was very plentiful in the 16bit era as well. It's just nostalgia clouding your memories.

I grew up with the playstation era. SNES was before my time.

Takao

Banned
You do know almost every cover you showed depicts the characters trying to look cool while holding weapons, right?

Seriously.

That Maui Mallard box art is bad. It tells you nothing about the game other than the fact there's a ninja duck. You get no indication of a setting. No indication of what the game's trying to convey. Instead you get what looks like stock art of said ninja duck trying to look cool while holding onto a staff. That is the modern video game cover.

The other ones I'll excuse on the fact that they're trying to convey the gameplay to player. Castlevania is an adventure game where fight off swarms of enemies, Turtles in Time has well, the ninja turtles going through time, and I'm assuming Axelay is some sort of space shooter.

baphomet

So you weren't even there when it was going on? I can assure you that you're wrong. For every good SNES box there's 30 that are terrible.

Top Bottom