• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oddworld Dev: "Incredibly excited for PS4. No communication with MS"

Toxa

lock if old :

Stewart Gilray: Now we are working on PS4 and are incredibly excited by that prospect for the future. Weve had no communication at all with Microsoft on their new system, so I really cant comment on that at all. But PS4 seems like a fantastic system, weve had kits for a while, and it is as people say, incredibly easy to develop for, as it is a lot closer to a PC system than ever before. Some of the ideas Sony have for the way it all works are truly inspiring and we are happy to be working with them again.

http://www.gamesabyss.com/in-odd-we-trust-an-interview-with-oddworld-inhabitants/

Eh, I remember the good ol' days...

215083307_gAxDr-L-2.jpg

If only there was some building where developers could gather together (a conference of developers of games, if you will) and Microsoft could share some information about their upcoming system with them.

Even with this PS4 lovefest going on I still think when MS reveals momentum will shift. Not completely in their favor but there will be more of a balance.

The silence is deafening however. I have to admit, that conviction I had a month ago is starting to crack.

Majmun

Having no communication with MS IS a bit weird.

You'd think MS would at least talk with the devs about the new console.

I've heard from a few of those not quite big, not quite small developers that they still don't have access to Next Xbox dev kits but have had access to PS4 devkits for a while now, since before the announcement at least.

Seems like it's only there for the big companies at the moment.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I've heard from a few of those not quite big, not quite small developers that they still don't have access to Next Xbox dev kits but have had access to PS4 devkits for a while now, since before the announcement at least.

This would be...strange?... for a system launching at the same time? Assuming that's true, of course.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
PS4 has been announced. So...
How would devs comment on a system that hasn't been announced thus they are embargoed for?

They simply wouldn't comment, or would deflect.

But they certainly wouldn't claim that they have had no communication at all about it, that is just odd.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
PS4 has been announced. So...
How would devs comment on a system that hasn't been announced thus they are embargoed for?
Do it like EA and talk about how next-generation systems are very exciting and how WiiU is not part of what they consider next-generation.

Everyone understands that the upcoming Xbox is also meant.

I think the thread title is sensationalist though. Quote mining. :p

Skyzard

Banned
I didn't even know oddworld were back developing games.

They've been porting SW to Vita as well as working on some HD releases of the older games for PS3/Vita iirc. Another title in there too. This is all quite recent, don't know what they were doing before.

Don't know what they are doing that's new for PS4 either.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew

To be fair, when was the last time Oddworld Inhabitants actually developed a game? I thought they had left the games industry to go into GC movies 8 years ago.

Seems like MS wants to hide their 2013 upgraded specs from Sony at all costs. I am expecting a massive jump in performance, to around 2.5 TFLOPs with GDDR5 ram

Thing with providing dev kits to these smaller developers is, they tend to leak the specs to various media outlets.

Strange for a console that's due to launch this year. I wonder what the reasons are for this, assuming it's true of course.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

They're talking with plenty of devs, focusing on bigger ones probably because they're the ones that can actually pump stuff out for launch. That and select indies for launch XBLA.

But it is weird that there hasn't been ANY communication.

rothbart

Even with this PS4 lovefest going on I still think when MS reveals momentum will shift. Not completely in their favor but there will be more of a balance.

So what you're saying, is when the next hype train starts... you think there will be hype involved? Interesting...

He means the third console a company made.

Sega: Master System, Genesis/Megadrive, Saturn (because of... eh... let`s not start again...)
Nintendo: NES, SuperNES, Nintendo 64 (because of the odd cartridge decision)
Sony: Playstation, Playstation 2, Playstation 3
Microsoft: Xbox, Xbox 360 and....

Sentenza

While I'm still strongly disinterested in purchasing a console, I must say that it seems Sony is actually doing everything right with this PS4.

Which means it will bomb hard for no apparent reason and Microsoft will dominate the market.

DrPirate

Banned
Starting to think that if they're going through all the trouble to maintain all this secrecy, what they have is so mindblowing it'll change gaming.

I'm gonna jump on the ship that says Nextbox will impress.

Tenrius

They still wouldn't fix Stranger's Wrath for me and that's after Stewart Gilray posted here on GAF and said they'd look into it.

But I'm still looking forward to anything new in the Oddworld series!

M.D

I've heardfrom a few of those not quite big, not quite small developers that they still don't have access to Next Xbox dev kits but have had access to PS4 devkits for a while now, since before the announcement at least.

Microsoft has heard Sony is also using parts from AMD, so all you have to do now is dump the ISO file of the PS4 version and the Durango devkit will switch the button layout to the one on the Xbox

Developer friendly!

Top Bottom