• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The (Awesome) Future of the 3DS eShop

serplux

3Tekdf09g7fONV5oV907Qurahchxto1J.jpg

For the unaware, the 3DS eShop's quality has been quite remarkable since its launch back in June of 2011. Games like Mutant Mudds, Mighty Switch Force, Fractured Soul, The Denpa Men: They Came by Wave, Pushmo, VVVVVV, escapeVektor, Crimson Shroud, and Gunman Clive have all given the eShop a unique flair and a library that everyone should check out.

But that's not to say that the eShop has already hit its peak. Check out this mostly comprehensive list of all the confirmed (except for Level-5's stuff) games coming to the 3DS eShop:

Aban Hawkins and the 1001 Spikes (Nicalis)
AiRace Speed (Qubic Games)

Aqua Moto 3D (Zordix AB)
Ash (Circle Entertainment)
Boomba (RadiationBurn Ltd.)
Bugs vs. Tanks (Level-5)
Castle Conqueror - Heroes 3 (Circle Entertainment)
CastleStorm (Zen Studios)

Cinema Dream (Circle Entertainment)
Cult County (Renegade Kid)
Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger (Nintendo)

Escape! Zombie City (Tom Create)
Fish On 3D (Agetec)
Gero Blaster (Nicalis)
Glory Days III (odenis studio)
Go! Go! Kokopolo 3D: Space Recipe for Disaster (Tanukii Studios)
Guxt (Nicalis)
Jett Rocket II: The Wrath of Taikai (Shin'en Multimedia)

Lair Land Story (Circle Entertainment)
Lair Land Story 2 (Circle Entertainment)
Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move (Nintendo)
Mighty Switch Force 2 (WayForward Technologies)
Mutant Mudds 2 (Renegade Kid)
Noctemis (Lacuna Entertainment)
Pinball Hall of Fame (FarSight Studios)

Puzzle Craft (Circle Entertainment)
Rabi Laby Episode 3 (Agetec)
Rhythm Scape (Circle Entertainment)
Soccer Up 3D (Enjoy Up Games)
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (WayForward Technologies)
Shovel Knight (Yacht Club Games)

Snow Moto Racing 3D (Zordix AB)
Steamworld and Dig (Image and Form)
Sweet Memories - Poker Night (Circle Entertainment)
Swords and Soldiers 3D (Circle Entertainment)
The Delusions of von Stottendorf (Delirium/Abylight)
The Denpa Men 2: The Came by Wave (Genius Sonority)
The Starship Damrey (Level-5)

Toy Defense (Circle Entertainment)
Treasurenauts (Renegade Kid)
Turtle Tale (Saturnine Games)
Untitled Game (Horberg Studios)
Untitled Homebrew Application (Goodbye Galaxy Games)
Urban Trial Freestyle (Tate Interactive)
Vampire Crystals (Shanblue Interactive)

Wakedas (Circle Entertainment)
World Conquest 3D (Circle Entertainment)
Yatagarasu (Nicalis)
Zombie Panic in Wonderland (Akanoi Studios)

Out of the 49 games listed, I personally am probably going to buy 33 of them (my wallet...). Edit: Italicized games are games that I'm buying. What are you looking forward to out of that list?

Some pictures for those who want it:

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse:

shantae.jpg

Bugs vs. Tanks:

da2da02.jpg

The Starship Damrey:

da2da04.jpg

Mighty Switch Force 2:

MSF204-noscale.jpg

Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move:

large.jpg

Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger:

3DS_DRWLastRanger_022013_Scrn02_thumb.png

Shovel Knight:

large.jpg

Zombie Panic in Wonderland:

large.jpg

Steamworld and Dig:

steamworld-dig-3ds-2.jpg

Aban Hawkins and the 1001 Spikes:

tumblr_m2jbfwGJzp1qz9wb4.jpg

The Denpa Men 2: They Came by Wave:

Denpa-Ningen-3.jpg

Jett Rocket II: The Wrath of Taikai:

screen010zs97.jpg

Urban Trial Freestyle:

urban_trial_freestyle-7.jpg

Cult County:

cultcounty.jpg

Go! Go! Kokopolo 3D: Space Recipe for Disaster:

cover_large.jpg

Guxt:

238824-GustColorHeader.jpg

Gero Blaster:

large.jpg

Swords and Soldiers 3D:

swords_soldiers_thumb.jpg

AiRace Speed:

airace-speed.jpg

Yatagarasu:

yatagarasu+2.jpg

Toy Defense:

Toy-Defense-e1343736320741.jpg

Vampire Crystals:

6MoTgBEc7OmKMP0fs_bzdD7DKUFCaUrS.jpg

Puzzle Craft:

pocketcraft.jpg

Ash:

02-620x.jpg

No FEZ no buy

Just kidding, I guess I'll pick up Mutand Mudds 2 and that 3D horror/shooter game Renegade Kid is making as well. Still have to get Crimson Shroud, too.

The problem is that I have an imported 3DS XL and no credit card, so I have to import Nintendo points or whatever they're called from the US of A if I want to buy something.

epmode

Obligatory Nintendo's-digital-account-policy-is-fucking-awful-and-I-won't-buy-anything-until-it-changes post.

That's not awesome. :p

But then again I'm not a fan of cheap games. From the list you made I want:

The Denpa Men
The Denpa Men 2
Crimson Shroud
Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger
The Starship Damrey

KarmaCow

Untitled Game (Horberg Studios)
Untitled Homebrew Application (Goodbye Galaxy Games)

Is the actual name of the games or are you listing unannounced games we know nothing about?

To be honest, I don't know anything about most of the games.

Kyari

I have heard of maybe two or three of the games on that list?

Also I refuse to buy anything on the e-shop until they get some kind of account system set up.

Jawmuncher

Sure, the games are great.

Everything else about it is offensive, and not to be supported.

I say its all offensive.
I'm still spur about no account system to handle DLs, and while others might like the catalog here I don't. However me not liking what's there is personal taste. However I will say that nintendoland handling of the Virtual Console is absolutely poor.

Could easily have a big selling point of "play all the classics on the go". but theyre so stingy with releases and no account system doesn't allow for wii or WiiU VC to be on 3DS like we see with PS1/PS3.

(to those that complain about price above)
Not in the US I take it?

No...no not in the US.

Any talk about how good the eshop or 3DS in general is needs to often come with a big *. Not much good if the games are not available, or are 2.5 times the price.

Case in point? Resident Evil for $20 on eshop, sounds great! Logs in, sees that it is $50... yeah no.

VanWinkle

You should post some screenshots/video of some of those for those of us that don't closely follow 3DS eShop. Hardly any of those l've heard of.

Katsuragi

The eShop has been on a roll lately! I can't wait for Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, Mighty Switch Force 2 and Gero Blaster.

mario_O

Yep alot of great games now. This week it's been awesome, but console shops need to put special deals a la Steam this gen and we need an account system for the 3DS.

javac

Is there a comprehensive list of the best/must have eShop titles? Had my 3DS since launch but never bought much due to the plethora of retail and ambassador games.

I like that the e-shop prices retail games at £39.99 for their digital versions and the physical copy is generally £32.99 or less in stores.

It's a real shame and totally arrogant of Nintendo to price games like that. The only game I'd consider paying the extra for is Animal Crossing so it's always on my system.

hatchx

Banned
Must say guys, I love eshop, but Kersploosh is a piece of crap. I guess for 2.99 or whatever it is I got my hour or two of entertainment.....but yes, it ends quite quickly and abruptly.

I'm most loooking forward to Shantae!

Empty

with how popular the 3ds is in japan i'm disappointed that seemingly only level 5 and nintendo them are putting much into the e-shop from that side.

IrishNinja

sorry to be that guy, but no GBA games at this point is nothing short of a tragedy

of course they're talking about putting them on WU, because that somehow makes sense

As an owner of an iPad, I can't justify paying those prices. Fortunately until they offer a real account system it isn't really an option anyway. I don't know 90 percent of those games regardless. For me the 3DS' real strength is at retail anyway. Pricing, account system and hardware specs put eShop at a real disadvantage imo up against other platforms.

Flamfas

I need to get Crashmo/Pushmo still, dammit.

But not really looking forward to much on this list.

What I really want is for the VC to step up and add some GBA games as well as integrate a virtual link cable so they can also put up multiplayer games (like Pokemon)

Go! Go! Kokopolo 3D: Space Recipe for Disaster (Tanukii Studios)
What are you looking forward to out of that list?

I don't believe this game exists anymore and am calling out skullomania to come out of hibernation and update us on the follow-up to THE best game still available on the platform.

thomaser

I love the eshop. So many great games already. And I have no problem spending money on something of good quality.

Can't wait until Cave Story FINALLY comes to Europe. Shouldn't be long now. I've played it before, but it's too good to not have on a handheld as well.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Oh man, Aban Hawkins? That's one of the games I considered buying a network adapter for. Didn't realize it was headed to 3DS!

...Nicalis though...wonder if it'll be released before 2015 :/

TBH I'm looking quizzically at a number of the items on this list. Is Yatagarasu even anywhere close to completion?

Denpa Men 2 is pretty much guaranteed if it's $10 again, and I've got a pledge in for Shovel Knight...everything else I'm interested in is probably going to depend upon price/sales.

18-Volt

Most of these Circle games are shovelware, only Swords and Soldiers is good. Needs more games like Vita got recenly. Limbo in 3D would be awesome. Other stuff, Worms, Awesomenauts, Machinarium, Hotline Miami, Super Meat Boy (try again, Nintendo), Trials etc should come to eShop too. More indie developers should experience eShop, not just regulars.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I think you are being extremely generous in suggesting that most of those games are "awesome", and we don't even know anything about many of them. Same goes for the Wii U eShop, come to think of it. Quality over quantity, hombres.

Murrah

Banned
I'm the biggest Nintendo lobbyist there is and I barely know/care about any of those games. Gero Blaster, Shantae, Kokopolo and Mutant Mudds 2 are the only ones I'm really interested in, and Mudds only if the whole game plays more like the Grannie levels instead of the supremely boring main game

Outside of Pushmo/Crashmo I've found all of Nintendo's own eShop efforts pretty disappointing too. Where's my damn 3D Classics Castlevania

eShop is getting good, for sure. I'm just spoiled by Steam and its prices/sales. Cave Story+ on PC is like 25 cents while it's still probably 10 bucks on the eShop. Same for V. It's just me being cheap, but still.

For my money, Picross e2 is the best game on the service.

I wonder if it's too late for them to add in an account system at this point. Maybe even cloud saves.

Of course it's not too late. It'll never happen because Nintendo are clueless, not because they didn't figure it out yet.

Keslord

Banned
Keep your serial number written down and make sure to have registered for the extended warranty. Bam, no issues buying from the eShop there. Just wish there was a $5 to $10 markdown on all retail games on it

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Keep your serial number written down and make sure to have registered for the extended warranty. Bam, no issues buying from the eShop there. Just wish there was a $5 to $10 markdown on all retail games on it

you're not going to see substantially lower dd prices compared to retail near product launch.

it's simply not going to happen for any company that still needs retail sales.

Top Bottom