• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with the best story twists/reveals NO SPOILERS

Avallon

Bioshock Infinite and Virtue's Last Reward (999) were some of the craziest stories I've had the Joy of experiencing in gaming. Let me get some suggestions for games with similarly awesome stories and do it in typical NeoGAF fashion -- images!

EDIT: Other than Bioshock

paully

Banned
Wait, Bioshock Infinite has a major twist?

I think I'm halfway though, but that's really really good to hear.

Trey

KotOR had an interesting twist.

I think the style of a "twist" is gimmicky but it has its place. I wish gaming wouldn't rely on them, however.

Sneds

I think that knowing a game has a twist can be a spoiler in itself as you end up spending the whole time trying to guess/work out what the twist will be.

Oersted

Live a live.

Btw: We had this thread not so long time ago, but I like such ones, they always have nice recommendations. So there is that.

Baten.
Freaking.
Kaitos.

How many times am I gonna have to say it?

I help you. Baten Kaitos. Freaking Baten Kaitos.

Draconian

250px-Kotorbox.jpg

AGITΩ

Assassin's Creed 1 had that ending that made me go "WAIT WHUT....TIME TO CONTINUE THIS SERIES!"

Xenoblade had way too many twists and turns, but I loved every minute of it.

Avallon

AGITΩ;52834989 said:
Assassin's Creed 1 had that ending that made me go "WAIT WHUT....TIME TO CONTINUE THIS SERIES!"

Xenoblade had way too many twists and turns, but I loved every minute of it.

I was working on Xenoblade... I guess I should pick it back up. BI interrupted that one.

Soul Reaver II had an extraordinary and unexpected twist at the very very end of the game, that immediately and overwhelmingly changes the meaning of much of the story we have learned so far.

The twist left me breathless. As the credits started rolling, my mind raced back to Blood Omen, Soul Reaver 1 and what I knew about the then upcoming Blood Omen 2, as I reconsidered the story completely due to the twist.

It was marvellous, the best kind of twist. You can replay the previous games again with knowledge of the plot twist, and much of the dialogue and events have a much deeper and more sinister meaning. It takes extraordinary writing to pull that off.

Amon37

You post a thread about best twists and then no spoilers, that's fairly counterproductive even naming the game serves as a spoiler

Metal Gear Solid series.
Nier.

MGS2 does have a good twist IMO even when it seems to have a lot of haters. It is little crazy but it makes perfect sense and the whole game is build around it. Actually even the whole promotion of the game was built around it so it is the best kind of Kojima crazy.

Avallon

You post a thread about best twists and then no spoilers, that's fairly counterproductive even naming the game serves as a spoiler

Knowing that there would be a twist at the end of Bioshock Infinite did not make it any less enjoyable for me.

Infamous' was genuinely cool and thought provoking, would have made a good ending to a superhero movie rather than the usual 5min smackdown they tend to have.
The 2nd one had good endings too, though less twisty and more melancholy. Really looking forward to how the PS4's entry will fit in to the world and how cool it's ending will be.

KOTOR's is obviously one of the most famous and genuinely left my jaw on the floor, I remember resetting the game right away just so I could go through that moment again to take it all in.

MGS3's is a tear jerker and spawned the immortal gaf pic for when we salute lost awesomeness.

Avallon

Ghost Trick
Ghost Trick
Ghost Trick

Also Ever17, since you seem to be a fan of Virtue's Last Reward and 999:

I've never heard of Ever17. I'm torn between asking you what it is and looking it up.

I don't want spoilers -- what is it and what system is it on? PC I assume.

FluxWaveZ

• Ghost Trick
  • BioShock
  • BioShock Infinite
  • 999 and Virtue's Last Reward
  • Knights of the Old Republic
  • The World Ends With You

AGITΩ;52834989 said:

I remember just before the 1st game was released everyone wanted to burn Kristen Bell on a pyre coz she revealed the whole game take place inside the animus rather than it being genuinely set during the crusades, then everyone bought the game and realised that's the 1st thing they tell you when you start. lol.

Ghost Trick
Ghost Trick
Ghost Trick

Also Ever17, since you seem to be a fan of Virtue's Last Reward and 999:
n15108049_31111319_8644.jpg

I'm really wondering about the craze surrounding Coco's route.

I've only finished Tsugumi's route last time I played so I'm honestly perplexed as to what could possibly happen that makes people gush so much about it.

Maybe I should dig it out and continue from where I left off.

I've never heard of Ever17. I'm torn between asking you what it is and looking it up.

I don't want spoilers -- what is it and what system is it on? PC I assume.

PC and consider it the predecessor to those two games since it's also written by the same guy. The format is somewhat the same as well but without the puzzle-solving gameplay.

Top Bottom