• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

General Emulation Questions (retiring my systems to the closet)

fatty

The TV that I had the SNES and NES hooked up to for the kids finally died. Instead of buying another one I'm thinking of just using an emulator on the computer but would like to look at different options.

I really love the layout of Wii's homebrew channel and the USB loader. Nice layout with the cover images available, really easy for my kids to play my Wii library. But I'd like to do something similar to these with other systems such as PS2, Gamecube, Genesis and NES.

What's my best option?

I looked into it some and it looks like the Wii has a SNES cover mod, do the emulators on PC have options similar to this?

I can see myself building a media center PC capable of playing the games with the appropriate emulators installed (like the Dolphin, PSCX2 and other emulators). Do the emulators for the classic systems have cover mods to make them more accessible to the kids (that and I really like the slick interface)?

Another option is buying another Wii for the family room TV. Because of the Wii remote, I don't have to worry about wires like I would if I connected the NES or SNES and being able to use the classic controller support is great. But with this option I don't think I'd have gamecube backward compatibility anymore because of the newer Wiis which is a bummer.

Any ideas guys? I'd really like to get into the classics with my kids again, and making it more accessible for them would be a plus. Also, being able to put all my cartridges in storage is a big thing for me. That and not having to mess with blowing into the games again when they're having trouble booting up.

Azriell

I'd go with a second Wii. You can find the BC models new in store (in the US) still. You can also get them used for dirt cheap. I really like the interface of the Wii, and you can still use the tv which is a huge plus for me. I've never heard of th cover mod for Wii emulation, but that sounds pretty awesome.

It's been awhile since I've messed around with PS2 emulation, but even a few years ago it was running great. When I was using PSCX2 I don't think it had cover support, but it may now. I'm pretty sure Dolphin does, but my previous PC couldn't really run it so that was short lived. Those are both things I intend to get back into when I have more down time.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'd rather go the emulator route than buy a Wii. The biggest reason being that you're limited to the offerings on the VC.

If you wanna use the carts you already have, you can buy a Retrode and you should be set.

Edit: lol, except I just saw that you wanna put the carts away. Well, that about does it for my ideas.

fatty

Thanks, guys!

Wow, I didn't know that supported classic systems too. Just thought that was for MAME.

I'd go with a second Wii. You can find the BC models new in store (in the US) still. You can also get them used for dirt cheap. I really like the interface of the Wii, and you can still use the tv which is a huge plus for me. I've never heard of th cover mod for Wii emulation, but that sounds pretty awesome.

BC model Wii's are still in US stores? I will have to look for them more, haven't seen any for a while. I might look into used as well, but man, I'm always leery on purchasing a used console.

Durante

PCSX2 and Dolphin are really incredible, and PPSSPP has Dolphin team members and while compatibility is low, performance is amazing for the games that do work. Rip your games and put them in storage.
PPSSPP is making incredible progress lately. While it's a bad metric for such things, it's still remarkable that it had over 30 commits just today.

Okay, so I have a question about emulation and moral ethics, and this was the best thread I could find.

So, as you know, stealing is wrong. When a dev studio spends all that time and money to craft something, they should be rewarded. I would never steal a game that is currently in print or being manufactured and sold as new.

However, what if the game is no longer in print? That would mean that the only copies available are used or new copies that were already paid for. If a game is out of print, then devs and publishers no longer make money from the sale of said game.

So, that leads me to my question: If a game is out of print, does that make it morally okay to download a rom and emulate it? Or is it in some fashion still stealing?

I'm not talking about copyright laws or anything like that. I'm strictly talking about core morals and values. Is it still wrong to download and emulate games if the people that created it are no longer selling it for profit?

(I realize the thread wasn't started for a discussion like this, but the title does say "General Emulation Questions")

Jamix012

So no one can really recommend it yet, but it may be worth looking into the Retron 5. It's been delayed multiple times pending release in July, but it emulates NES(+FC), SNES(+SFC), Sega Genesis and the entire Gameboy line all the way up to advance from the cartridges. It also supports Master system games with Genesis power base and is completely region free.

Here's a video of CV3 in action (the controversial smoothing filter it has on is optional):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t03Te6Ln79c

It won't help you store your cartridges unfortunately as it uses them all. But honestly I personally like to have my limited collection out where it can be grabbed and played at a moment's notice.

Okay, so I have a question about emulation and moral ethics, and this was the best thread I could find.

So, as you know, stealing is wrong. When a dev studio spends all that time and money to craft something, they should be rewarded. I would never steal a game that is currently in print or being manufactured and sold as new.

However, what if the game is no longer in print? That would mean that the only copies available are used or new copies that were already paid for. If a game is out of print, then devs and publishers no longer make money from the sale of said game.

So, that leads me to my question: If a game is out of print, does that make it morally okay to download a rom and emulate it? Or is it in some fashion still stealing?

I'm not talking about copyright laws or anything like that. I'm strictly talking about core morals and values. Is it still wrong to download and emulate games if the people that created it are no longer selling it for profit?

(I realize the thread wasn't started for a discussion like this, but the title does say "General Emulation Questions")

I think this sort of question is frowned upon in general on GAF. My personal view is that it's stealing. Should the dev ever decide to re-release it digitally, it's no different to pirating it when it was in print. Owning and playing a game isn't a right you have, if you want to play a game, you should legally own it.

EDIT EDIT: Ok well Necrobump. my bad.

yes, it is still wrong. You are taking money from resellers. Think of the mom and pop stores!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
PCSX2 and Dolphin are really incredible, and PPSSPP has Dolphin team members and while compatibility is low, performance is amazing for the games that do work. Rip your games and put them in storage.

PPSSPP is making incredible progress lately. While it's a bad metric for such things, it's still remarkable that it had over 30 commits just today.

These two are on point.

Emulators are becoming really, really great.

Dolphins already the greatest emulator I've ever used. It just does the games better than the original hardware even did. custom resolutions, textures, cheat codes, framerate, free camera, 3D, use any controller you want, and a whole bunch of other things. It's huge.

Then for more retro stuff, you have Retroarch, which is a beauty in its own ways.

I mean, look at this

ibrYHQYtk5Lm9h.jpg

How cool is that? And it has options like that for pretty much all the older systems.

PC is the way to play your older games.

ss_lemonade

How about a handheld solution? You could get an nvidia shield and be pretty much set with the amount of emulator options on android.

Top Bottom