• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyazaki's THE WIND RISES (Kaze Tachinu) hits cinemas in Japan on July 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://thefilmstage.com/news/new-ha...dates/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Discussed on-and-off for almost two years, now, Hayao Miyazaki‘s follow-up to Ponyo is finally a reality. After crafting his next animated charmer in relative solitude, FarEastFilms have discreetly announced a release date for the project, The Wind Rises (known in its native tongue as Kaze Tachinu), which Studio Ghibli will give a Japanese release on July 20. That other-side-of-the-world opening doesn’t help the lot of us in the United States, nor does a subject matter that could stand to be more controversial than, for instance, the tale of talking fish.

Taking its inspiration from both Miyazaki‘s own manga and a novel by Tatsuo Hori, The Wind Rises follows Jirō Horikoshi, a man best-known for designing the Zero Fighter plane used in bombing Pearl Harbor. Right off the bat, you can sort of understand why Disney might be so keen on picking this one up, right? There’s no doubt that it’ll get a domestic opening, eventually, but don’t count on it having the same exposure (much less the same kind of celebrity dubbing) that’s been afforded to him in the past — but something would make us think Miyazaki isn’t so concerned.

The comment about Disney is kinda stupid.

Disney didn't distribute From Up on Poppy Hill, and that had nothing to do with any controversy, and hey, it had a celebrity dub.

Disney's seemingly reevaluated the whole Ghibli relationship, aside from home video.

That's a stupid fucking writer who wrote that.

duckroll

Today they announced a new set of 4 posters for the movie which will be distributed to cinemas throughout Japan in May. There are no direct feed promo images for the posters yet, but they were shown on a TV program and there are some... off-screen shots. Lol. Looks pretty damn awesome. The posters all carry the new tagline for the film - "We must live on." Apparently it's the final phrase Nausicaa says at the end of Miyazaki's original Nausicaa manga. :p

Sneak peak:

lKdB7j9.jpg

CMhm5Ld.jpg

sm08dbQ.jpg

That's not a huge spoiler out of context.

Also Miyazaki fans who have not read Nausicaa are doing themselves a disservice. Much better (and quite different) from the movie with the same name.

I think it's pretty huge, because we know the film was made long before he finished the manga and only covers the first two volumes of seven. I didn't even know if
Nausicaa would be alive at the end of this. Now I know.

kswiston

I think it's pretty huge, because we know the film was made long before he finished the manga and only covers the first two volumes of seven. I didn't even know if
Nausicaa would be alive at the end of this. Now I know.

In the context of the press release, you can't tell if that is the last thing she says in the book, or the last thing she says period. Still some vaguery :p

Anyhow the back half of that manga series gets pretty crazy. I hope you enjoy it.

duckroll

There was a specific reason why the main character in Porco Rosso was drawn as a pig, it's not something that extends to the whole cast for this movie.

In the manga Miyazaki did years ago which this is based on, he drew all the male characters as pigs.

Apparently not. Seems he's going for a more realistic take for the film. Crazy.

I'm hopeful that the realistic approach Miyazaki seems to be aiming for here will prevent the phenomenon in his more fantastic films, especially his most recent films, of the plot falling apart into a big mess.

Jex

I'm hopeful that the realistic approach Miyazaki seems to be aiming for here will prevent the phenomenon in his more fantastic films, especially his most recent films, of the plot falling apart into a big mess.

I think that's a problem that's always beset Miyazaki as a writer, and it's only got worse over time. He needs someone to hold him back.

duckroll

Ponyo is a much better film than Howl's. I'll say that much. I enjoyed watching Ponyo in the cinema from start to end, even though it was basically just a kids movie. Howl'ss on the other hand made me pretty upset as the tone bounced around, the narrative torpedo'd itself, and the end was just a mess. Amazing highs, fantastic animation and set design, wretched writing and adaptation.

Should have let Hosoda finish his version instead. :/

qindarka

Banned
Ponyo suffered from upping the stakes to ridiculous levels.
Was it really necessary to have a simple children's movie have a potential apocalyptic scenario? And it is impossible to buy the relationship between the two characters being love, given that they are six. Climatic scene was done really badly as well.
Also found Ponyo to be rather obnoxious.

I like Howl a lot better but it really is a big mess as well. Narrative torpedo'd itself seems an apt way to put it, Miyazaki tried to stuff too much (and didn't explain things well) there to the extent where it was difficult to follow.

Who is willing to bet that this will be Miyazaki's last film? Oh and I'm hyped!

I'm very glad he is doing this if only so that his directing career doesn't close on Ponyo. I suspect this will be his last as well.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Ponyo is a much better film than Howl's. I'll say that much. I enjoyed watching Ponyo in the cinema from start to end, even though it was basically just a kids movie. Howl'ss on the other hand made me pretty upset as the tone bounced around, the narrative torpedo'd itself, and the end was just a mess. Amazing highs, fantastic animation and set design, wretched writing and adaptation.

Honestly, I doubt Hosoda's version would have been better. 2013 Hosoda, that's another story.

duckroll

Honestly, I doubt Hosoda's version would have been better. 2013 Hosoda, that's another story.

His take on the One Piece movie says otherwise. It might not have been the more experienced and mature take on crafting a movie he has today, but it would still have been fresh, different, and passionate. Miyazaki's take on Howl's felt like he didn't really want to do it but had to make a "Miyazaki movie" which lives up to what fans expect of it. So it has everything we expect from a Miyazaki blockbuster film, but none of the soul or passion which made his older movies great.

Replicant

That's a really hard comparison. On the one hand, Howl's 2nd half disappointed me. But overall, I still enjoyed its charm. Ponyo was more consistent but the lack of interesting theme kind of kill the interest for me. And during my first viewing when the film was about to end, it finally dawned on me "OMG, this is a kid's film!". I think Arriety is doing a better job than either one.

Wubby

I'm really excited for this one. As a modeler I'm also getting some great new kit releases due to this movie. Model Graphix magazine and Fine Molds will be releasing a 1/72 A5M prototype kit (Horikoshi's first design with the gull wings) this summer.

Also Zoukei-Mura will be releasing a new 1/32 super detailed kit of the J2M Raiden (Horikoshi's last successful wartime design since the A7M never went into action before the war finished).

There's bound to be a lot of merchandise from this film that I'll want to buy besides models.

Zebra

It really was an awful adaptation... I was flabbergasted by how poorly the film captured the book.

Jarmel

Banned

It kinda amazes me how revered Howl is despite the narrative being a piece of shit. I saw it for the first time a few months back and I thought that was the worst Ghibli film I've seen so far.

For the people that enjoyed Ponyo's ending, can you explain why in your opinion? Not looking to troll or anything, just curious what people saw in it.

Wubby

Saw a tiny preview for this at the theater today before watching Iron Man 3. Not much shown but was excited to see it.

GCX

What, no trailer?
Ghibli doesn't like to put trailers online for some reason, especially if it's a Miyazaki movie. There is a short teaser but it's only shown in theaters.

They'll probably release one just before release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom