• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's Reminisce About Great NBA Basketball Moments from the 90s

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

I was just talking to a couple of my peers and we got in a long-winded discussion about how magical NBA basketball seemed during this era (the 90s), how some lesser talked about moments seemed like epic triumphs, and how larger than life each star seemed. I guess if you're older that era might have been the 80s, so late 80s talk is also accepted.

I remember having a poster of this in my room:

and how I thought Kevin Johnson was like the best player in the league that was just on a subpar team.

xDtahXl.jpg

Game 3 - 1994 - Rockets vs Knicks - plus bonus coverage of OJ Ford Bronco chase.
I will remember that game forever.

strobogo

Banned
Reggie's 8 points in 9 seconds against the Knicks. Also, Reggie shoving off Jordan to hit a game winning 3 the extend the series. I was at that game as a kid and it was NEXT LEVEL BONKERS in Indy.

bionic77

No Jordan, too easy indeed.
I like the way you think!

As for the OP. The funniest and greatest moment of the 90s was Hakeem ripping off David Robinson's testicles and eating them in front of a hundred million people after Robinson had stolen his MVP award.

Something other cool moments. Fat Magics comeback. The refs allowing Ewing to take 19 steps on his way to his first and probably only playoff game winner, and despite that the ball still barely went down!

I like the way you think!

As for the OP. The funniest and greatest moment of the 90s was Hakeem ripping off David Robinson's testicles and eating them in front of a hundred million people after Robinson had stolen his MVP award.

Something other cool moments. Fat Magics comeback. The refs allowing Ewing to take 19 steps on his way to his first and probably only playoff game winner, and despite that the ball still barely went down!

Man, that was the best when he was lobbing dunks to Eddie Jones. Then Van Exel had to bump the ref & gets suspended, then Magic bumped and got suspended and that was the end of Magic's playing days.

bionic77

Kobe to Shaq alleyoop count since' it's the 99-00 season?
That was the greatest moment in NBA history. This thread is limited to just the 90s.

And since we are talking about the 90s, the NBC NBA theme!

Da-da-da-da-da-da-da-dadadadadadadadada. Pure magic!

dorkimoe

Gold Member
Rodman hitting 3 3's in a row (youtube)

Rodman kicking the cameraman

Rodman staring down that dude during a free throw, hilarious

In honor of his 2nd retirement, I present to you the greatest Technical Foul in the history of the game.

It's a short film entitled "WHACK: GET OUT"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EogzHNEiCWU

It stars Ron Garretson, a ridiculously insecure man, and Rasheed Wallace, one of the best forwards of the 90s, whose legacy will be forever linked not to his stats, or not to his ability to inspire his teammates, but for his ability to make any referee instantly despise him.

edit: Shit - out of contention for this thread - it happened in the 2000 Western Conference Finals. But I wanted to count it because that season STARTED in 99...

The NBA in the 1990's was a magical time. So many great players. Even the big men could hit 15 foot jump shots. This was the NBA at it's finest.

My family was fortunate enough to share season tickets to the bulls from the late 80's through the late 90's. I got to experience so many of those great Bulls moments, including Jordan in his prime. Pretty amazing memories.

Solo

Jordan dunks on Mutombo and finger waves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba0SY_D0LIs

no no no

There is a precursor to this, where Mutumbo calls Jordan out in the locker room at the All-Star game for never having dunked on him. There is a video of it on YT. And Jordan, being the ultimate grudge holder, made sure to rectify that.

:lol

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7UPkKq1fO8

Another edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om56qV5tZHY Bonus clowning of Mutumbo by Jordan.

Parallacs

I can't remember what game it was (Google says game 2 of the 1991 finals), but that Jordan shot where he started with his right hand and then moved the ball to his left for the layup.

We used to do that on the playground for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom