• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 lead writer Mac Walters is working on the next Mass Effect

Darklord

Banned
It was such a minority that they made an entire DLC dedicated to change the ending, and retcon parts of it. Then made another DLC pack to help explain it more. I want drew karpyshyn back. :(

tableflip.gif

DaBuddaDa

Also, he still insists that the Mass Effect 3 ending was only disliked by a "very vocal minority".

He also insists the sky is purple and dinosaurs still exist.

If you can't understand as a writer why the ending to Mass Effect 3 was bad, regardless of the outcry from fans, be they a minority or not, you don't deserve to work in this field.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yes, but in what capacity? He wrote Garrus and Wrex across ME1 and ME2, if my memory serves correct. He's mostly fine when he's not the goddamn lead on the project's narrative.

SerRodrik

I think that "vocal minority" might now be up there with "entitled" for me in terms of the industry using it in shitty ways.

Jb

I would give him the benefit of the doubt, but pretending they didn't half-ass the ending in the most spectacular way doesn't bode well.

Mindwipe

And this is why I won't shed any tears when EA kills Bioware in two years time.

Only the ludicrous hacks living in total denial are left.

Roto13

Also, he still insists that the Mass Effect 3 ending was only disliked by a "very vocal minority".

Uh huh. EA heard a couple of dozen people complaining about the ending and then spent a bunch of time and resources creating a new one as free DLC. Because that's how that works.

Unless he doesn't lock himself up and writes the ending alone I'm not too unhappy about it. Despite the last five minutes being somewhat disappointing I'm still glad Bioware didn't go the happy ending route. And the writing in Mass Effect 3 wasn't worse than in 1 and 2.

I want drew karpyshyn back. :(

Eh, I didn't like his ideas about dark energy all that much. At least the struggle of synthetic and organic life was a major plotline throughout the trilogy.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Yes, but in what capacity? He wrote Garrus and Wrex across ME1 and ME2, if my memory serves correct. He's mostly fine when he's not the goddamn lead on the project's narrative.

Pretty much. Some people are great at writing certain things, but put them outside that field and they simply just can't handle it. They need fresh eyes for the new era of the series.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Well... hopefully, he doesn't have the same "writing" power as he did in ME3. Let the other writers share their ideas about the main story and don't ignore them.

LiK

Uh huh. EA heard a couple of dozen people complaining about the ending and then spent a bunch of time and resources creating a new one as free DLC. Because that's how that works.

Indeed, more like vocal loyal fans.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
I think its easier for him to tell himself that its "only a vocal minority" to cope. Its sure beats coming to the realization that you are responsible for screwing up the oh so important final act of a trilogy thats been 8 years in development, with millions of fans.

Even if it was only a vocal minority, thats still a form of an argument from authority.
"Only a small portion of the mass effect 3 fans disliked the ending, therefore the ending is good." Total non sequitur.

Top Bottom