• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony adds remote download option to its web store

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Via Kassatsu's site: http://www.psnstores.com/2013/04/pl...es-and-auto-downloading-sort-of/#!prettyPhoto

Chris K said:
PlayStation Web Store Adds Download Queues And Auto-Downloading (Sort of)

A new feature has been added to the Sony Entertainment Network Webstore, the ability to queue up content to be downloaded the next time you turn a system on. You can access your queue from the following link. We last heard of this when firmware 4.40 was released.

rM8kfx8.jpg

As mentioned before the auto-downloading will only work when you turn the system on, it will not wake your PS3 up from a cold start. It did auto-download my queue when I manually turned the system on. But if you happen to have a Vita or PSP lying around you could Remote Play and turn your PS3 on to start your downloads if you are away from home.

To remote download:

You can remotely download game content directly onto your PS3 from the SEN Online Store.

1. At the 'Thank You' page or on your Download List select 'Download to your PS3' next to the title you want to download.
  2. Provided your device is in stand-by mode and you are a member of PlayStation Plus, your PS3 will begin downloading at the specified time in the PS3 automatic update setting. If you are not a member of PlayStation Plus the content will begin downloading automatically when you next switch on your PS3.
  3. Once it's downloaded go to Game icon (Games) to access your new game.

Store download queue link: https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/download/queue
Video demo: www.psnstores.com/2013/04/playstation-web-store-adds-download-queues-and-auto-downloading-sort-of/

Is the PS3 fairly good for power consumption in standby? I love ease of use features like this but not if it's going to cost more on my energy bill. Additionally does it have space management like Steam? I've only got a small drive capacity.

BibiMaghoo

PS3. It only does everything. Later than everyone else.

This is great though. Will be put to use with PS+ hording.

jesus christ is this what GAF is now?

what year is it?

Steam did this 2 years ago yet you dont see anyone coming in here and being 100% offtopic just to throw a punch

It was more of a playful knock on Reggie because they just now realized how profitable digital sales are. Specifically the Luigis Mansion and Fire Emblem eshop sales. Calm down.

Nice. Glad to see this feature added for PS3 consoles. Xbox 360 systems had the luxury of this for a long time now.

I hope though it'll become a feature for PS+ users to have the system automatically download a game when the PS3 is off.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Nice. Glad to see this feature added for PS3 consoles. Xbox 360 systems had the luxury of this for a long time now.

I hope though it'll become a feature for PS+ users to have the system automatically download a game when the PS3 is off.

I got the sense that this was a technical limitation, hence them making a big deal about the feature coming up on the PS4.

Maybe its not dunno.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

How could the PS3 download a game while it's off? It doesn't have the technical capability of doing that. The PS4, on the other hand, should definitely be capable of it.

Salsa

It was more of a playful knock on Reggie because they just now realized how profitable digital sales are. Specifically the Luigis Mansion and Fire Emblem eshop sales. Calm down.

im not angry, I barely have any stakes on what Nintendo does but it just seemed like a fast way to shit on a thread and make it go in another direction

Come on man, first posts are allowed a quip no?

alright yeah, I guess

on topic: this is one of those things that are cool yet I never use

EvB

How could the PS3 download a game while it's off? It doesn't have the technical capability of doing that. The PS4, on the other hand, should definitely be capable of it.

The same way that it downloads updates when it's off for PS+ users....

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The same way that it downloads updates when it's off for PS+ users....

It does? Doesn't it just turn itself on at a specific time and download stuff, then turn itself off again? That's not really the same thing. The PS4 should be able to download stuff without being turned on at all (well, a small part of it will be powered on, obviously).

kassatsu

Banned
It does? Doesn't it just turn itself on at a specific time and download stuff, then turn itself off again? That's not really the same thing. The PS4 should be able to download stuff without being turned on at all (well, a small part of it will be powered on, obviously).

Yea that is what it does. There is no "low power mode" for the PS3. It must fully turn on and off when it does the PS+ syncing.

BibiMaghoo

Automatic downloads leaves the console powered down but connected to your router as I understand it. The router tells you PS3 to turn on, and downloads whatever it is supposed to.

Although this begs the question, of if this is only available for PS+ users, as auto download is a feature for members.

Well I meant around the designated time you've set to automatically download stuff for your PS3 (patches, whatnot) it could download the games in queue for you.

jesus christ is this what GAF is now?

what year is it?

Steam did this 2 years ago yet you dont see anyone coming in here and being 100% offtopic just to throw a useless punch
The year when two new consoles are being released and Nintendo isn't sure about their E3 presentation style. It's going to be a scary year.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
"Provided your device is in stand-by mode and you are a member of PlayStation Plus, your PS3 will begin downloading at the specified time in the PS3 automatic update setting."

Sweeet.

I already have it auto-upload saves, get patches, and sync trophies at about 4 am.
This is cool.

Hope it improves.
And man, does download list need an overhaul.
Please let us filter that crap!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Well I meant around the designated time you've set to automatically download stuff for your PS3 (patches, whatnot) it could download the games in queue for you.

That's what it says it does. So it will automatically download the stuff you add, just not right away.

Top Bottom