• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Japanese 3ds charging cables compatible with PAL 3ds consoles?

Torraz

Hi,

I bought a USB - 3ds charging cable while in Japan and I am wondering if this is safe to use on my newly acquired PAL 3ds.

I did some googling. There was a thread here on GAF regarding using US charging cables on EU machines, but I did not find any results for using Japanese cables on PAL 3ds consoles.

Thanks

MCD

US and Japan are 110~120 volt while Europe is 220~240 volt. That's the general stuff anyway but could apply to the 3DS as well.

hodgy100

Hi,

I bought a USB - 3ds charging cable while in Japan and I am wondering if this is safe to use on my newly acquired PAL 3ds.

I did some googling. There was a thread here on GAF regarding using US charging cables on EU machines, but I did not find any results for using Japanese cables on PAL 3ds consoles.

Thanks

if the usb is plugged into a pc you will be fine as that is all a standard voltage and amperage.

I am Italian and I plan to import an American 3DSXL, but seeing this thread made me wonder if I can use my 3DS PAL charger with an American 3DSXL in an European socket without issues or would the American 3DSXL require a 3DS American charger too ?

Zenaku

I am Italian and I plan to import an American 3DSXL, but seeing this thread made me wonder if I can use my 3DS PAL charger with an American 3DSXL in an European socket without issues or would the American 3DSXL require a 3DS American charger too ?

Official chargers are perfectly safe; they send the same amount of voltage to the 3DS.

I can charge my Japanese 3DS with my JP charger or my nieces PAL charger.

Jubern

USB cables plugged into PC are safe anyway, I think? For actual chargers and alimentation cables it depends, but for recent consoles it's alright. Back in France I used one of my old PS2 cables with my Japanese PS3 and never had a problem. I'm pretty sure doing that with a Japanese PS2 resulted in the machine frying though, I remember reading stories like that lol

Just check whatever machine/charger you use, if it's written "110/240v" you're golden wherever you go.

NekoFever

I charged my Japanese DS Lite with a UK mains adaptor without a problem. I'd assume it's the same with the 3DS as the actual hardware is identical all over the world and it's the plug that handles the voltage differences.

I'm pretty sure you'd be safe with a USB charger even if this wasn't the case. No way will a USB socket carry enough power to fry a 3DS.

Zenaku

I charged my Japanese DS Lite with a UK mains adaptor without a problem. I'd assume it's the same with the 3DS as the actual hardware is identical all over the world and it's the plug that handles the voltage differences.

I'm pretty sure you'd be safe with a USB charger even if this wasn't the case. No way will a USB socket carry enough power to fry a 3DS.

Yep, as long as the plug matches your region, you can charge any 3DS with no problems whatsoever.

Top Bottom