• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: next Xbox launching in 2014 (due to Blu-ray licensing problems?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I run a small Xbox fansite in Italy and yesterday a source who already proved to have rieliable infos in the past contacted me with an interesting tip.

He talked with an high level manager of a big entertainment distributor in Italy, who told him that they are already laying down their marketing plans for holiday 2013 and they are counting only on PS4 to launch this year. It is unclear if this is only true for Italy/Europe or it's a global problem, but my source was told that Microsoft is having problems with Blu-ray licensing for movie playback, it seems due to some kind of very long timed exclusive Sony put in place for the console market when the brd standard was created.

I've got no idea how much realistic this brd licensing thing could be: I believe the standard is almost 10 years old now, and even if some sort of exclusive was in place, 10 years would be e very, very lengthy period for an exclusive. On the other side, if this was true would MS be willing to pospone a very important launch for such an issue? I don't know. And, frankly, I hope this rumor to be bullshit: I'm hoping for the console to come out this year. However, as I said, the guy who contacted me proved to be quite reliable and in-the-know in the past, so I thought it deserved to be discussed.

Shameless plug: this is our story about the rumor EDIT: link removed, looks like it's aginst the TOS

Edit - just to clarify: the part about the company marketing expecting to have only PS4 this holiday looks like to be the more reliable information. The Blu-ray stuff could simply be their manager's educated guess, I don't know this for sure.

41nHx.gif

B.O.O.M

For the sake of my EU brothers and sisters I hope the ps4 launching in EU bit is true at least. For the sake of xbox fans on gaf in general I hope the delay rumors are false

jwk94

I run a small Xbox fansite in Italy and yesterday a source who already proved to have rieliable infos in the past contacted me with an interesting tip.

He talked with an high level manager of a big entertainment distributor in Italy, who told him that they are already laying down their marketing plans for holiday 2013 and they are counting only on PS4 to launch this year. It is unclear if this is only true for Italy/Europe or it's a global problem, but my source was told that Microsoft is having problems with Blu-ray licensing for movie playback, it seems due to some kind of very long timed exclusive Sony put in place for the console market when the brd standard was created.

I've got no idea how much realistic this brd licensing thing could be: I believe the standard is almost 10 years old now, and even if some sort of exclusive was in place, 10 years would be e very, very lengthy period for an exclusive. On the other side, if this was true would MS be willing to pospone a very important launch for such an issue? I don't know. And, frankly, I hope this rumor to be bullshit: I'm hoping for the console to come out this year. However, as I said, the guy who contacted me proved to be quite reliable and in-the-know in the past, so I thought it deserved to be discussed.

Shameless plug: this is our story about the rumor http://www.mondoxbox.com/news/38477...causa-di-problemi-con-la-licenza-blu-ray.html (click on the Union Jack for a machine translated english version)
How does that machine-translation work? That's pretty cool.

First I've ever heard of this, and it would have been some incredible strategic foresight on Sony's part if this is the case. Although, I don't see how this would hamper Microsoft at all. Once the licensing deal runs out, couldn't they just unlock/add movie playback via firmware?

I just don't see how Sony could have locked up Blu-Ray on consoles at all. Sony is just one of many companies that owners the blu-ray patents.

But if, for and I mean IF this is true I can see Microsoft launching anyway and patching I am Blu-ray playback later. There no way they miss this holiday over this.

guek

Banned
Even if this were true, it would make more sense for MS to launch in 2013 with a BD-drive and then sell the BD-playback license seperately in 2014 like they did with the original Xbox and DVD-playback.

it's funny how gaf has gone from:

"Xbox in 2012, guaranteed. PS4 later"

To "Xbox in 2013, PS4 later. Guaranteed"

To now I guess "PS4 in 2013, guaranteed. Xbox delayed"

Me all along: Both in 2013.

No fucking way its not coming out this year

Yeah.

At absolute worst this only seems for Euro market anyway, though I dont believe it for a second.

They would not be holding the 21st reveal if it was coming in 2014.

but this isn't even a good reason.

it's worth remembering even tho 360 launch simultaneous worldwide, quantities were pitiful.

ms has shown they'll do ww simultaneous even if they dont have enough to go around really.

That sounds like a tale from......pretty sure ms would have no issue getting a license considering sony would be using ms software and operating systems in the creation of their games...all ms would have to do is squeeze

Even if this was true, it would most likely be a regional (Europe) issues.

There's no point for MS to hold a special reveal meeting, only to tell people "wait till next year, k?"

That and I believe most people aren't expecting a simultaneous global release for any of the next-gen consoles.

Just to clarify: the part about the company marketing planning to have only PS4 this holiday looks like to be the more reliable info. The Blu-ray stuff could simply be their manager's guess, I don't know this for sure.

Chris_C

If BRD playback was the only thing holding back launch, 360 would launch without it and add it via patch later (assuming it's a software thing).

pswii60

Given Blu-Ray is a standard run by a consortium, a don't think this exclusivity would even be legal. And we'd already know about it - Microsoft would have known about it back in 2005.
I could see it, I mean they're revealing in May, that's crazy late for this industry. But I doubt it'll be because of blu-ray issues, I just don't see it.
The revealed the 360 in May and launched the same year. And there is no "standard" reveal time for this industry. Or do you want me to bring up Saturn?

Hanmik

I finished reading after this...

laying down their marketing plans for holiday 2013 and they are counting only on PS4 to launch this year

ITALY... that means Europe is getting a PS4 in 2013..? PLEASE BE REAL...

(and my condolences to Microsoft)

Perhaps Sony convinced Panasonic and Samsung to lose the paperwork?

All's fair in love and console war.

Apple is also in the BDA, I guess they wouldn't mind Microsoft having troubles... but I doubt they could do anything. Not sure I believe that (edit: should have read the whole article lol).

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
They just do an OG Xbox and release without playback, update he software later or release an add on.

its got nothing to do with "movie playback" and everything to do with "hardware being included in the box."

the only way around this is to release the next Xbox with only a DVD player and a hard drive, or only a hard drive, and then a version later on that has blu-ray inside of it.

or delay the whole console.

or pay Sony a fuckload of money to get them to sublease their exclusivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom