• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow Of The Eternal's Impressive Use Of Cryengine 3 - A Wii U Turning Point?

When watching the full nine minute gameplay walkthrough of Dyack's crowdfunded ED sequel I was pleasantly surprised to see the Wii U button icons pop up. I initally assumed it was PC footage as the dynamic lighting and textures look great - especially in the fire section.

shadow-of-the-eternals.jpg
ScreenShot2013-05-07at152154_zpsa6355cfd.png

So now that devs have got newer dev kits and are starting to get more impressive visuals out of the console do you think this will be the graphical turning point for future Wii U titles? This is only the second Cryengine 3 game I'm aware of for Wii U but hopefully more studios will start to get similar results with this and other more demanding engines on Ninty's new box.

NotLiquid

Doesn't Dyack, IGN or anyone on the dev team have a Twitter or something you can ask them about this? I'm sure they'd be able to come up with an answer.

JoeM86

Given that most PC + console games demonstrate the PC version initially, it is the Nintendo fans that need to be providing the citation. It's [assumed] PC until proven otherwise.

If it was the PC version, it wouldn't have Wii U button prompts, would it?

Lava texture is pretty fugly though.
Again theres some nice effects in here; I'd be surprised if the WiiU wasn't able to do certain things current consoles can't. But its not that nice looking to warrant 'must be PC'.

Ridley327

seems like you will be disappointed when next gen comes, then.

I've seen the same next gen games that everyone else has, and they look considerably better than this.

That's why I'm not rushing to agree with "it must be PC!," since my PC can do a whole hell of a lot better than what we've seen of SotE thus far.

prag16

Banned
If it was the PC version, it wouldn't have Wii U button prompts, would it?

You wouldn't think so, but who knows. I guess we need explicit confirmation to kill this debate.

In the meantime there will continue to be (a) people that think it isn't impressive and (b) people that think it has to be a PC build because it IS impressive, and worst of all, (c) people who thing it looks like crap, but still say the Wii U couldn't handle it therefore it must be a PC build.

Hopefully the Dyack interview with IGN will clear that up.

Plenty of PC games have used 360 button prompts.

Yeah, if the devs are super lazy (which has definitely happened); PC games don't use 360 button prompts as a design decision. I wouldn't rule out the possibility that it's running on a PC, but if PC was the lead platform as it were, it'd be silly to slap Wii U button prompts on there from the get go..

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I could see it looking like that right now but the game is nowhere near finished so I wouldn't hold my breath too much on this meaning anything in terms of a turning point for WiiU.

tkscz

I've seen the same next gen games that everyone else has, and they look considerably better than this.

That's why I'm not rushing to agree with "it must be PC!," since my PC can do a whole hell of a lot better than what we've seen of SotE thus far.

Which games are these?

Doesn't Dyack, IGN or anyone on the dev team have a Twitter or something you can ask them about this? I'm sure they'd be able to come up with an answer.

Also this.

Goodlife

Must be missing something here?
Why would they give a PC version WiiU button prompts?

I'm assuming they can't get the gamepad up and running with the PC?
Just makes no sense to me?

Or are we assuming the Wii U was the lead development version and they've just ported the game across to the PC???

Lyng

I have to agree. It doesnt look better then Witcher 2 on a good pc.

They're in a difficult position, trying to appeal to both PC gamers and WiiU owners who are more familiar with the franchise. If they can't convince one group that it will look on par, and they can't convince the others that the tablet gameplay will translate to PC then they might end up satisfying neither group. But hey I don't trust the man as far as I could throw him so excuse my lack of faith.
Why are people questioning this is for Wii U?

Has the "Wii u is weak" mantra really been that effective?
It's not like we ever saw any of that Crysis 3 footage that was so close to being finished... would be a shame if something like that leaked from Crytek.

mantidor

Vaporware, you mean. The exclusive community only available to backers is called 'Order of the Unseen' after all.

Hah pretty much, this has written "Sadness" all over it.

I would love nothing more than a decent Eternal Darkness sequel but I'm not holding my breath.

As for graphics, Nintendo will show the true potential as always (notable exception Factor 5 of course), if they could give those same tools to developers... I don't know, it also seems Nintendo as a developer has a very different view, they seemed to go for extreme optimization while most devs go with third party engines.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
A port of assets to Cryengine 3, by a team of 9 (most of whom aren't even developers), doesn't seem like a good or reliable turning point for a console.

Cry engine is a resource hog, it won't look that good on wii u

Yes, part 1 of a game that may never even see the light of day is a "turning point" for Wii U. Sure.

Also:

Plenty of PC games have used 360 button prompts.

Premature

But the game will be terrible

It was more than likely just a PC build with WiiU button prompts.

krizzx is gonna be pissed.

Why are people questioning this is for Wii U?

Has the "Wii u is weak" mantra really been that effective?

People scream GTA IS NEXT GEN; people just have a fucking skewed as hell view of what this gen games look like.

I don't see much beyond some nice lighting effects that I could not manage on PS360. Some of the lighting is actually quite flat; its just the environment looks good.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
"future WiiU titles" from who? Indies and bankrupted previous failhouses of development internet begging to continue I guess?

Oersted

I love how we have "it doesn´t look impressive" and "it probably doesn´t run on WiiU" on the same page. Never change GAF.

borius

Neo Member
do we know if Precursor Games is a Nintendo developer yet?

Maybe they haven't seena wii u devkit yet. Who knows...

I think that it's pc footage, there is no point in showing wii u fotage which will be worse for obvious reasons.

Kimawolf

Maybe it's because I've been gaming on PC sense the start of this generation, but no next gen game has been graphically impressive in my opinion. Hell, UE4 was a let down to me.

That's pretty much where I stand. I've seen nothing that makes me amazed from PS4 or Wii U, or UE4. But then again I been gaming on PC since this gen started. So it's more of a "eh. it looks nice."

Top Bottom