• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog getting a 3D classics remake for 3DS

qq more

Pass unless it has extra content like new levels to play with. Screams laziness to me.

It's not really lazy if they rebuilt the game from the ground up (which they likely did seeing as how it supports 3D). And it's probably going to be better than 99% of the other Sonic 1 rereleases!

Spinluck

=( The worst of the original trilogy. Sonic 2 please.

It may lack the pazaz of the other two, but to me, it always had the best platforming. I think the spin dash will suck in this game, aside from a few instances. The levels don't really seem made for it.

Yeah, for me, the game just stops being fun for me after the spring yard zone and just nearly throws out the speed aspect entirely.
Naw man

Starlight.png

cloudbot

Neo Member

More Menu Translation:

• The orange option is "Screen Mode" which toggles between "Normal" and "Classic".
  • The pink option I can't read too well, because of all of the Kanji, but I think it roughly translates into "3D Type" and toggles between "Background Focus" and "Foreground Focus"
  • The green option is "Game Version" which toggles between "Japanese" and "Foreign Countries"
  • The blue option is "Spindash" with a radio button to toggle on/off.

iavi

More Menu Translation:

• The orange option is "Screen Mode" which toggles between "Normal" and "Classic".
  • The pink option I can't read too well, because of all of the Kanji, but I think it roughly translates into "3D Type" and toggles between "Background Focus" and "Foreground Focus"
  • The green option is "Game Version" which toggles between "Japanese" and "Foreign Countries"

This... is definitely sounding like the retro engine version.

bon

I had no idea so many people didn't care for Sonic 1. I mean 2 and 3 are better but Sonic 1 is still great.

More Menu Translation:

Wait. I can Spindash now?? Hmmm... That might've sparked a little interest. Maybe.

Brofield

I just had a thought, the bonus stages in Sonic the Hedgehog 2/3/Knuckles would be AMAZING in 3D.

Oh God...Sonic 2 bonus stages...

God fucking DAMN I hope they make it over here, and even local multi or even WiFi would be glorious to see happen.

xk0sm0sx

More Menu Translation:

It toggles between "Focus on Depth" or "Focus on Zoom".

I want all these awesome classic sega games in NA!!!!

Hang on
Space Harrier

Really would like to hear how this turns out. Looks like it could be really great in 3D. Its been years since I've played it though, how does the original game hold up?

I'll let you guys buy this one and hopefully fund Sonic 2/3 3D. But this is how you make 3D Classics Nintendo with actual classic games.

sakipon

Downloadable eShop game only.

Although now that Sonic's coming, I wouldn't be surprised if SEGA eventually bundled all these together for an retail release.

I like the idea of a retail collection once there's enough games. Would buy.

Day 1 *hugs J3DS*

I also have a Japanese 3DS, but usually I buy this sort of stuff for my Euro system for the sake of supporting Western releases. However, not sure if I can wait much longer... I want all 3 of these Sega ones so much. I admit not buying anything from the Nintendo line, but they just weren't that interesting.

BriBri

Just seen this and OH MY GOD! I wonder if Sonic was originally planned as both Space Harrier and Super Hang-On didn't sell particularly well.

Neff

Still the best Sonic game.

But yeah, my European money is sad that it can't go into Sega's pocket regarding these 3D ports.

Space Harrier has been rated by the Australian classification board recently, so I see all of them coming in 2013.

Sega's rated tons of stuff on the OFLC that hasn't arrived.

Yep, there are Game Gear Virtual Console games like Master of Darkness which were rated by the OFLC over a year ago, and still haven't seen the light of day. And OFLC fees aren't cheap. So either SEGA loves wasting money, or Nintendo's blocking them from releasing anything for whatever reason.

serplux

Yep, there are Game Gear Virtual Console games like Master of Darkness which were rated by the OFLC over a year ago, and still haven't seen the light of day. And OFLC fees aren't cheap. So either SEGA loves wasting money, or Nintendo's blocking them from releasing anything for whatever reason.

They also ESRB rated a few Game Gear games just a couple of days ago, including one that hasn't been released in Japan (Sonic the Hedgehog GG). I really doubt Nintendo has anything to do with the delay either.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
How many more of these do they intend to make? M2 is locked up from doing VC until then.
Not...necessarily? It affects their workload, sure, but GG Puyo Puyo and Crystal Warriors were released on VC in between Space Harrier and Super Hang-On.

Their website has a chronological list of what they've worked on.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
More info from google translate:
- Spin dash can toggle on/off
- Can save anywhere
- Stage select
- Fully customizable controls
- Includes both Japanese and English version (apparently there's a small difference between the two versions)
- 2 screen modes: normal and CRT mode
- 3D options to emphasize depth or pop-out effects a la Mario 3D Land
- Adjustable sound balance
Sonic 1 always had a stage select screen. Mind you, it was only accessible in the form of a cheat code, but it was there anyway.

↑↓←→ A+Start

Lynd7

Sonic 1 is great. I had a ton of fun with it back in the day, there are some nifty secret areas too.

Rlan

It's weird that Japan is doing this considering the American side is using Taxman to port the original game to iOS and Android with widescreen support and other jazz. You'd think they'd port that with additional 3D features.

Still so weird that Sega still has so much separation from Japan and America when it was ultimately their downfall the first time!

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Sonic 1 always had a stage select screen. Mind you, it was only accessible in the form of a cheat code, but it was there anyway.

↑↓←→ A+Start
Oh, this reminds me of something else I found last night when I was trying to research the difference between the Japanese and overseas version. According to this video the stage select code in the JP version is

↑↓↓←→ A+Start

The creator could be wrong, though, as there are some technically incorrect "differences" listed in the description. I have no way of testing. (I also don't speak French at all, so...)

Still so weird that Sega still has so much separation from Japan and America when it was ultimately their downfall the first time!
Its like the whole M2 emulation vs. Backbone emulation we saw last gen but yes given how SEGA downsized you would think some of this duplicate effort would stop.

Then again I guess 3D classics have a different philosophy of basically being upgraded VC games (lets just ignore Urban Chumpion) while Retro engine stuff is ports.

Surely this one has to make its way over here. I mean come on.

Either way, call me when you get around to doing Sonic 2 gentlemen. Gotta have that Chemical Plant deathwater in 3D.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Then again I guess 3D classics have a different philosophy of basically being upgraded VC games (lets just ignore Urban Chumpion) while Retro engine stuff is ports.

These Sega releases aren't "3D Classics", despite the fact that they're always reported as such.

Top Bottom