• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Question about bills when roommates go away for the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live a 4 bedroom house with 3 other people, 2 of them will be going on trips this summer. My question is how do I split the water and electric bill? Since two of them won't be here, they think that me and the other roommate should split it. I say fuck that. If I owned my own house and went away for a couple of months wouldn't I still have to pay for those bills? I need to come up with some kind of compromise. Any suggestions?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Are they coming back? If yes they should contribute. If they don't want to tell them to find a new place. Rent is rent, gotta pay it.

saunderez

Since two of them won't be here, they think that me and the other roommate should split it. I say fuck that. If I owned my own house and went away for a couple of months wouldn't I still have to pay for those bills?

If you owned your own house and went away your bills would drop to next to nothing. If your housemates go away they'll be paying for the people who are staying behind to use electricity. Charge them rent while they're gone but asking for utilities is about as fucked as asking them to pay for food they're not going to be eating. Get them to chip in a little bit but splitting it is unfair to those who aren't there.

devilhawk

A lot of places charge water on average usage and not what is actually used per month. The definitely need to chip in.

royalan

If you enter into a living arrangement with other people, it's expected that you be held responsible for your share of the bills for as long as you live together, regardless of how much you're actually there.

If they don't want to be responsible for their share of the bills while away, they need to look for a subletter or move the fuck out. Either way, their Summer vacations shouldn't be your problem.

If you owned your own house and went away your bills would drop to next to nothing. If your housemates go away they'll be paying for the people who are staying behind to use electricity. Charge them rent while they're gone but asking for utilities is about as fucked as asking them to pay for food they're not going to be eating. Get them to chip in a little bit but splitting it is unfair to those who aren't there.

As someone pointed out, a lot of utilities charge a flat rate regardless of how much the utility is actually used. Cable/Internet is a big one. This is the case for electricity in some areas, as well.

Vaporak

If you owned a house and left it empty the bills would be negligible because you'd turn them off or not use them. So that's not really a good analogy to bring up to support your position.

Madness

Depends on how utilities are charged for you... I'd ask them to pay for rent, services that will continue when they're back etc. But if power/water are based on monthly usage, that should be on you then. Maybe look over your utilities bills for the past 3-4 months and see what the average cost is. Ask them to pay something close to that. Since they won't be here, maybe make them pay less. For example, if utilities are $200ish give or take, ask them to pay their share.

This

Seth C

Sure, because half the water bill isn't surcharges anyway, and everyone wants the indoor temperature of their house to soar to 100 degrees while they are gone.

Le-mo

I agree with this man.

Maddocks

tell them to pay a %. If not, tell them you watch peoples court everyday and don't fear going to court. Fear and intimidate them into it.

Clydefrog

Are you each renting your own bedroom in this house?

If the water and electric bill is based off of usage, then those who are not living there should not have to pay their stub of those bills. As long as they continue to pay monthly rent as per the lease, that should suffice. I don't see the argument... surcharges are but a small minority of the bill. If you want to, you can charge them the base zero usage for water/electricity.

markot

Banned

Um, no, youd still have to pay a fair about for use, and you cant 'switch off' for a month. Access and associated fees can cost more then actual usage. Also, they dont own the house, thats the point, its shared accomidation, you cant pretend costs 'dissppear' just because you do.

They should have to pay because they still live there. If you want to be nice, let them pay less, but they should still have to chip in. (ie, if the bills go down, pay the same amount you and the other person not leaving would pay any other month, and let them pay the lessor share.)

royalan

Um, no, youd still have to pay a fair about for use, and you cant 'switch off' for a month. Access and associated fees can cost more then actual usage.

They should have to pay because they still live there. If you want to be nice, let them pay less, but they should still have to chip in. (ie, if the bills go down, pay the same amount you and the other person not leaving would pay any other month, and let them pay the lessor share.)

Bingo.

desh

Look at the bill, and tell them that you will split the taxes and surcharges. The usage fees will only be split by those who stay.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i'd say get them to chip in a little bit for the stuff that "normally" runs -- like a low, flat dollar amount. I suggest this because there is friction with it and this is a good compromise.

in my situation, if you pay rent you pay for utilities, too. Just because you're going on a vacation doesn't mean anything to me. But if someone made a big deal about it, I would tell them to just pay a small part.

here, the water and trash bills are combined. trash is way more than water, and it is a fee that doesn't change from month to month.

As someone pointed out, a lot of utilities charge a flat rate regardless of how much the utility is actually used. Cable/Internet is a big one. This is the case for electricity in some areas, as well.

Well.. shouldn't it depend on that then? All of my utilities charge for usage, if i had a housemate i wouldn't be charging them full share for utilities they simply aren't using.
I would also expect the bill to go down while they weren't there.

If there's regular surcharges I'd ask them for their portion of that.

And if there's rent they will of course have to pay their share of that.

I.. I'm not sure how this can not be commonsense. EG. If I was away for 3 months, paying rent, and got back and you expected me to pay a full share of the gas bill I'd laugh in your face, sorry.

edit: i should add i've been through this many times in about 12 years of sharehousing, and never had any complaints running things this way, whether it's me on holiday or a housemate.

If I had roommates that left for a few months I would expect them to pay the rent still and maybe the internet but thats it. Electricity and water usage that are billed by usage should not be their problem because they are not there to use it. Most places do a flat water/garbage fee and its rolled into the rent so thats part of rent that they should split, but I would never ask someone to pay for part of electricity that I am using and they are not.

RedShift

You should pay the same amount you'd pay if they were still there basically, and they should pay the difference. Them leaving for a few weeks shouldn't cost you money.

Seth C

If I had roommates that left for a few months I would expect them to pay the rent still and maybe the internet but thats it. Electricity and water usage that are billed by usage should not be their problem because they are not there to use it. Most places do a flat water/garbage fee and its rolled into the rent so thats part of rent that they should split, but I would never ask someone to pay for part of electricity that I am using and they are not.

Interesting. I hope they don't leave anything plugged in while away, because that's eating up electricity and you're kind enough to pick up the tab. Also, of my $70 electric bill, $25 is various fees, charges, taxes, and bullshit. Of my $20 gas bill, less than $6 is actual usage.

Sounds like my roommate's vacation is royally fucking me over. Maybe we should all leave at once. My bills would still be about $50, but hell, no one owes that money since we weren't there using it. I'm sure the utility companies will agree.

I get that their perspective is "I'm not here, I shouldn't have to pay" but a large portion of those utility bills are amassed by common areas. Things like keeping the house cool or warm, running the fridge and hot water heater, etc. Keeping the water hot when everyone wants to shower costs money. It isn't just the cost of the specific hot water I used or you used. Now, because you have roommates you have bigger areas to cool than you would if you lives alone, and you have a larger fridge to cool, and a larger hot water tank to keep hot. You sign up for roommates because you don't want to pay for all of that stuff on your own. That's the expectation. Them choosing to leave is great for them, but suddenly you're saddled with higher utility bills than you'd have living alone in a smaller place, and that's not fair either.

I'm guessing the living agreement said they owe a portion of the utilities. If so, they are obligated. End of discussion. Now, if they want to violate that agreement just go ahead and have new roommates living there when they come back. Bonus for them since they also won't owe any rent while they're away. ;)

And when is a person gone "enough" to start getting to skip out on utilities. If I spend 3 nights a week away on business, should I get to deduct 40% of my portion of the utilities? What if I'm only gone 1 day a week? That's still 15% I should be saving, right? Or does it only count when you go on long vacations? What if I work longer hours than the other roommates? I mean, I put in 80 hours a week at the office and the other guy only 20. That's 45% of EVERY month that I'm not even in the house and he's only at work 11% of the month. He's clearly consuming more of the utilities than I am. Why should we pay the same?

If you owned a house and left it empty the bills would be negligible because you'd turn them off or not use them. So that's not really a good analogy to bring up to support your position.

If you owned your own house and went away your bills would drop to next to nothing.

Sounds like neither of you dont actually own a house.

The bills never drop to zero. Ever.

There are surcharges. Taxes. Transmission fees, and in some states, service minimums.

And things like the fridge and security lights stay running. If youre in an area that gets to 110 during the day, even when you go you set your A/C to 85 - it will still turn on.

Flat rates they should pay their share since it's about convenience of use not how much is used. For the others they shouldn't pay.

devilhawk

Interesting. I hope they don't leave anything plugged in while away, because that's eating up electricity and you're kind enough to pick up the tab. Also, of my $70 electric bill, $25 is various fees, charges, taxes, and bullshit. Of my $20 gas bill, less than $6 is actual usage.

Sounds like my roommate's vacation is royally fucking me over. Maybe we should all leave at once. My bills would still be about $50, but hell, no one owes that money since we weren't there using it. I'm sure the utility companies will agree.
Well put. As was just said above, you shouldn't be fucked over just because they took a vacation.

Well I guess its just my opinion. I would not want to be charged for it and I wouldn't expect to be reimbursed for it either.

Sounds like you have more of a problem with your local utility companies than your roommate though. Good luck with that.

Edit: Just looked up my total taxes on my utility bills for me its $10 a month.

Seth C

Well I guess its just my opinion. I would not want to be charged for it and I wouldn't expect to be reimbursed for it either.

Sounds like you have more of a problem with your local utility companies than your roommate though. Good luck with that.

Edit: Just looked up my total taxes on my utility bills for me its $10 a month.

When you leave on vacation, will you leave a DVD player plugged in? A TV? A computer? A lamp? Will I still be heating your portion of the water, even though I won't be using it? Will I be keeping your food in the fridge cold so it doesn't spoil? Will I be maintaining the temperature of your bedroom, or your portion of the common areas?

If I could just shut off the heating and cooling to half the apartment, half the fridge, half the water heater...you'd have a point. It doesn't work that way though, and you agreed to pay half the utilities while you were living here and since you're just on vacation and not moving out, you're still living here. Now pay your share. Or reimburse me every time I decide to leave for a day or two. Fair is fair, after all. If I'm not in the house I shouldn't have to pay, even if it's just a few hours. Let's start doing the math so we can get it all just right.

Vaporak

Sounds like neither of you dont actually own a house.

The bills never drop to zero. Ever.

There are surcharges. Taxes. Transmission fees, and in some states, service minimums.

And things like the fridge and security lights stay running. If youre in an area that gets to 110 during the day, even when you go you set your A/C to 85 - it will still turn on.

If I'm not in my house for months at a time I'm not leaving the AC and fridges running. You can in fact turn utilities off that you aren't using.

I would just like for you to know that I am coming from the viewpoint of I would be the one staying at the apartment. I don't make near enough money to pay rent for a place that I am not living in at the moment, I would sub-lease that piece asap. I guess I just don't see it your way sorry.

Edit: Also you have this apartment to yourself for 3 months with no roommates and your still paying only part of the rent. YOU GET TO LIVE WITHOUT ROOMMATES FOR CHEAP! That sounds like a win to me. I'd pay at least $100 dollars in taxes and fuck-all-ery to have an apartment all to myself for 3 months at dirt cheap rent.

If their names are still on the lease, they should be paying their portion of rent, utilities however should only be paid by the people using it during the summer months since they should be much lower if no one was using them

if you can't negotiate a proportion somewhere between paying a full share on usage and paying for the surcharges/taxes etc. required to keep the utility on while they're not there, that sounds like your main issue. If you're that worried about clock radios on standby ask them to make sure they turn all that stuff off.

Maybe just me but I've always thought most of these issues can be sorted out by talking to the housemates in question.

If I'm not in my house for months at a time I'm not leaving the AC and fridges running. You can in fact turn utilities off that you aren't using.

Pulling the plug on everything is a good idea anyway if no one is around and you're in a house like mine. Bad wiring and fixtures up in this old thing.

Seth C

If you turn off the utilities completely there will be fees just to get them reconnected. Probably fees larger than the cost to just let things run. Gas companies are especially bad about this. If you're living in a hot and humid climate and leave the AC off for months in the summer I don't even want to see the condition of your apartment and possessions when you return.

And the fact of the matter is the other roommates signed up for having roommates so they wouldn't have to pay the entire cost of cooling the house, keeping the fridge running, etc. You have roommates with the expectation of saving money by sharing those expenses. Otherwise they'd just live alone. So you can't just bail on them and saddle them with those costs. That's not fair either.

msv

And the fact of the matter is the other roommates signed up for having roommates so they wouldn't have to pay the entire cost of cooling the house, keeping the fridge running, etc. You have roommates with the expectation of saving money by sharing those expenses. Otherwise they'd just live alone. So you can't just bail on them and saddle them with those costs. That's not fair either.
Indeed. I completely agree with you. When you rent with roommates, you split the cost, period. If you're away long enough that you think you can save on money, then find someone to sublet your room to for the time that you're away. Asking to split the bill exactly, but only when you're away for a month, is ridiculous.

If you want to go at it like that you would have to measure each person's daily usage and divide it exactly. Otherwise you're in a shitstorm of calculations just to figure out what would be fair pay, just because someone wants the rules to be different when they're away for a month.

Tell your roommate to stop whining and pay the bill, or sublet.

No, they're not using it. If you're living there over summer, you foot the cost. Bills should be less proportionately if there's only one person in the house.

ICKE

Banned
They should definitely pay their share, depending how the utility charge is measured.

They should pay the rent, any monthly subscription fees such as the internet or TV and flat rate utilities as long as they have their name on the paper. Anything else is complete BS .

Lets say my father decides to leave his own house for a few months. Internet and TV services are fixed-term, they can't just be cancelled for the duration of his vacation. Water is charged at a flat rate regardless of how much he uses it and it's not like he's going to escape from condominium payments either. Same logic should apply to rent.

If they refuse to pay, tell them that their rooms will be occupied by some random homeless person who has offered you empty bottles in exchange for a place to stay.

Jay Sosa

If I owned my own house and went away for a couple of months wouldn't I still have to pay for those bills?

sure BUT..when you're not using either water nor electricity (despite some for the fridge and freezer) the bill would be much lower..so the two people staying behind should split it or at least pay 75%. Obviously only in the month they're gone.

Stuff like cable and internet should be split between all 4.

msv

sure BUT..when you're not using either water nor electricity (despite some for the fridge and freezer) the bill would be much lower..so the two people staying behind should split it or at least pay 75%. Obviously only in the month they're gone.

Stuff like cable and internet should be split between all 4.
Why? If you're going to suddenly split the bill according to use, then you'd have to do it all year round. It doesn't make sense to only start splitting the bill according to use when it's in one person's favor. Say that the roommate who's away for a month, uses up a lot more resources than you when he's present, overall you'd be paying more since you split the bill when you're all at home. And now when the roommate is away, you need to pay even more, because the roomie 'isn't using it'?

It's just stupid. You split the bill overall to avoid the hassle of figuring out how much each person uses exactly. What of it, if someone's away for a month? What if you are away for more days of the year in total, shouldn't you count that then? The only way to make it fair would be to measure the usage of each person and divide it accordingly.

Perhaps if someone uses a huge amount of resources on a particular thing, you can make deals for that, but to stop/reduce payments for someone who's away on vacation for a month... Doesn't make any sense if you're not already dividing cost per usage.

Jay Sosa

Why? If you're going to suddenly split the bill according to use, then you'd have to do it all year round. It doesn't make sense to only start splitting the bill according to use when it's in one person's favor. Say that the roommate who's away for a month, uses up a lot more resources than you when he's present, overall you'd be paying more since you split the bill when you're all at home. And now when the roommate is away, you need to pay even more, because the roomie 'isn't using it'?

It's just stupid. You split the bill overall to avoid the hassle of figuring out how much each person uses exactly. What of it, if someone's away for a month? What if you are away for more days of the year in total, shouldn't you count that then? The only way to make it fair would be to measure the usage of each person and divide it accordingly.

Perhaps if someone uses a huge amount of resources on a particular thing, you can make deals for that, but to stop/reduce payments for someone who's away on vacation for a month... Doesn't make any sense if you're not already dividing cost per usage.

well we agree to disagree then. If I don't use any electricity or water why in the hell should I pay for it while I'm away?

And yes If someone in the house plays simultaneous on his 360 and the PS3, using the hairdryer and surfing on the internet while showering for 2 hours every day when the others are reading books by candlelight he should pay more (it would be hard to figure out how much more obviously)

Servbot24

Banned
You and your roommate should pay 75% of the utilities while the others are gone. Presumably the utilities will be down those months so hopefully it will be about average for you.

SJRB

Gold Member
I used to live in the same situation as you, OP [four rooms, shared bathroom/kitchen].

I was in charge of the monthy bills, and I split them equally regardless of people being there or not. You get the bills monthly, and not being at home is irrelevant because those bills are fixed costs.

Sure, some tried to pull stupid shit like "but I wasn't there so I'm not paying", but it doesn't work that way. Electricity/water bills are fixed costs that have to be paid regardless of people being home or not.

I mean, it's not like the electric company says "O wait there were two people gone for the summer? Let me split that bill in half". Of course not.

Jay Sosa

Electricity/water bills are fixed costs that have to be paid regardless of people being home or not.

So you have to pay the company the same amount regardless how much you use? That's a pretty shitty deal then.

liquidtmd

Banned
Yep they should chip in. If they went away for two days they wouldn't ask for two days to be pro-rata'ed off the bill. The length of time is irrelevant.

They signed a tenancy agreement presumably. I suspect it covers this, or at least specifically doesn't exempt them. Its just not being an ass about it. Ask for a reasonable contribution and if they are worth living with they will compromise

msv

well we agree to disagree then. If I don't use any electricity or water why in the hell should I pay for it while I'm away?
So do you tally up the time you're away each month and divide it accordingly? Because that's what would have to be done to make it fair. If you only do it when someone's away for a full month, you still won't know if you're paying more or less on average.

What I'm trying to say here, is that this is having your cake and eating it too. You can't say, "I'm going away for a month so I'm not paying utilities", but then go on to divide it evenly in every other case. Either you always tally it up, or you always divide evenly.

Jay Sosa

So do you tally up the time you're away each month and divide it accordingly? Because that's what would have to be done to make it fair. If you only do it when someone's away for a full month, you still won't know if you're paying more or less on average.

What I'm trying to say here, is that this is having your cake and eating it too. You can't say, "I'm going away for a month so I'm not paying utilities", but then go on to divide it evenly in every other case. Either you always tally it up, or you always divide evenly.

I'm not saying they don't have to pay for ANYTHING just that I understand that they want to pay less the months that they are gone. This would only work if you could figure out how the exact monthly costs for water and electricity and then they both would just pay for 1/3 of the usual amount.

Fixed costs like cable and internet would've have to be paid in full obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom