• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Shield pre-orders open May 20th - $349

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
http://blogs.nvidia.com/2013/05/shield/

A console-grade controller. A high-definition, 720p HD retinal display. The rich graphics and blazing performance of Tegra 4 – the world’s fastest mobile processor.

These pieces, put together by a company full of gaming fanatics, add up to an amazing new open platform gaming portable. It’s the best way to play Android games. And because it’s an Android device, it works with both Tegra-optimized and regular Android games – as well as Android apps.

Project SHIELD is now, officially, SHIELD. The price is $349. Newegg, GameStop, Micro Center and Canada Computers will all carry SHIELD. It ships in June.

SHIELD is a new kind of portable.

Pre-order will go live on May 20th from the partners listed above, and on shield.nvidia.com. Fans who have signed up to receive SHIELD updates by clicking “Notify Me” on the SHIELD website will have an exclusive opportunity to pre-order starting today.

If you’re an Android gamer, this will fit into your life the moment you open the box.

SHIELD is the one device that taps into the planet’s largest ecosystem of games — spanning NVIDIA TegraZone, Google Play and Steam. Rediscover your Android games with the mobility, control and performance of SHIELD. Connect to your Google Play account to enjoy your favorite movies, music and apps.

And GeForce game streaming, launching as a beta feature, will give SHIELD the power to access your NVIDIA GeForce GTX GPU-powered computer from the comfort of your couch. We’re working on streaming your favorite PC games to SHIELD, including great titles from Steam.

Here’s what you’ll get:

Tegra 4 – The world’s fastest mobile processor delivers rich graphics and unbeatable performance thanks to 72 GPU cores, four CPU cores and 2GB of RAM
Console-grade controller – Precise control thanks to dual analog joysticks, a full-sized D-Pad, left and right analog triggers, full-sized bumpers and A/B/X/Y buttons
Multi-touch display – 5-inch, 720p retinal multi-touch display for high-fidelity visuals
Integrated speakers – Custom, bass reflex, tuned port audio system – we think this is SHIELD’s sleeper feature
Wi-Fi – 802.11n 2X2 MIMO game-speed Wi-Fi for game streaming
Pure Android – Latest Android Jelly Bean operating system from Google, for access to Android games and apps
There’s more – We put into SHIELD everything we would want in a premium mobile gaming device: 16 GB memory, GPS, Bluetooth 3.0, a mini-HDMI output, micro-USB 2.0, a microSD storage slot, a 3.5-mm stereo headphone jack. See the full spec sheet, here.
To everyone who’s been following SHIELD, thank you. This is going to be fun.

The biggest surprise at the 2013 Consumer Electronics Show is about to go on sale. The Nvidia Shield, a five-inch portable Android game console that can also stream PC games from a nearby gaming computer, will cost $349 at Newegg, GameStop, Micro Center, Canada Computers and Nvidia.com when pre-orders begin May 20th. Technically, you can actually pre-order one today if you sign up on Nvidia's "notify me" webpage — and there's nothing to keep you from doing that right now. Before you plunk down money on the latest gadget, though, why not read what the fuss is all about?

Full hands-on at the link:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/14/4...release-date-preorders-begin-hands-on-preview

2013-05-13_00-32-59-1020_verge_super_wide.jpg

HoosTrax

Ack, bad launch timing NV. I was really interested in this when it was first announced, but I'll be saving money for your GTX780 instead. Interested in hearing impressions as far as the latency though.

Wubby

The streaming doesn't work with cards older than the 600 series does it? I kinda remember reading it wouldn't work with my 570GTX.

xemumanic

The streaming doesn't work with cards older than the 600 series does it? I kinda remember reading it wouldn't work with my 570GTX.

Yeah, the 600 series has an embedded H.264 encoder, so its dependent on that. I wonder why there isn't some sort of FRAPS-style app that allows you to record from this stream.

Sethos

Banned
Bulky, hideous thing. If I was even in the market for a portable machine I'd pick up the Vita instead. This looks like something out of the 90s.

LeleSocho

Banned
I would buy it if i didn't already knew that would bomb very hard and the dedicated line-up will be awful
looks way more promising than Vita and 3ds... a little ugly but looks more comfortable to hold than the "rivals"

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I'm all for new systems. But $349 is not going to work. At least it's coming out unlike the Panasonic Jungle I guess.

FloatOn

that thing reminds me of the bulky ass original xbox.

quite the eyesore and like everyone has said, too expensive.

wildfire

Banned
I'm not surprised about the price but Nvidia really needed more of a killer feature for this asking price.

If we had the ability to stream from their cloud servers that would've made this viable as an expensive portable.

The good thing is that this hardware will still be relevant when it bombs. It's not dependent on dedicated developer support. It will be a nice toy to have when it hits the bargain bins or black Friday blowout sales.

LeleSocho

Banned

Of course but lots of hours considering it doesn't any kind of radio chip aside from wi-fi, that's almost the battery size of the ipad 3/4 with a screen that consumes probably less than half of the one in the tablet
at this point i wish it will bomb hard and soon so i can pick it for discount prices just to try it

daveo42

Banned
While streaming to this sounds like it could be great, needed approved hardware and waiting for games to work with this thing is just plain bad. I think I'll stick with my wireless 360 controller and Steam for my home gaming experience and my 3DS/Vita for portables.

The_Monk

While I'm not updated with all the features this thing can do I looked at the price and this thing seems more expensive than it should be. But I may be wrong.

Top Bottom