• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony ditches main booth at E3 2013? [Up: Nope]

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Update: As pointed out in the title and by Foshy, the interactive floor map has now been updated and properly displays Sony for two booths. No ditching.

I'm not sure when this change occured but I think it was recently (after PlayStation Meeting 2013 anyway). While the interactive show floor map of E3 2013 isn't finalized yet, though it should be, and is missing labels for a bunch of booths, it's mentioned on two places (the other being in the exhibitor list) that Sony no longer has two booths (they formerly had both 4522 and OFMR4144). Now only OFMR4144 is listed, and that's an On-Floor Meeting Room. Not the usual kind with demo kiosks and whatnot.

Hall 2 (West Hall)

e3expo2013_sonytoxig.png

Stated in the exhibitor list is this, regarding booths:

PMR=Private Meeting Room

Sony Computer Entertainment America

OFMR4144, PMR501B, PMR501C, PMR504, PMR506, PMR507

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe

PMR515A, PMR516

Sony Online Entertainment

As mentioned, 4522 isn't listed, which is kinda strange. With Microsoft (4100, OFMR4030) and Nintendo (4822, OFMR5244) being so close and at full force with their respective systems and games, wouldn't Sony wanna have maximum exposure? I suppose though with E3 being a little different this year, an off-site venue perhaps could be used. The press release from last year regarding E3 2013 stated this:

It was also confirmed that E3 2013 would take place June 11-13, 2013, at the Los Angeles Convention Center, L.A. LIVE and a plethora of venues throughout downtown Los Angeles and the City.
http://www.e3expo.com/press-release...on-names-los-angeles-to-host-e3-through-2015/

Sony's E3 2013 press conference is scheduled for June 10 at 6 p.m. PDT, though no venue has been announced (as far as I know). Last year the press conference was held at Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena. Maybe this year they'll use one of their own venues and have both press conference and a devoted press area for demos, interviews etc. at the same place, with E3/LACC being more of a social hub.

Chance is that this might just be a screw up and someone has managed to press the wrong button, but due to 4522 in connection to Sony not showing up anywhere on e3expo.com I think it's the real deal. Hopefully Sony can give an answer and share some more details on its E3 2013 plans soon.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Oh wow, nice find. I hope the blogs that pick this up give due credit!

Surely it's some kind of mistake though...interesting.

Even if it were true, I don't think it would matter much.

Sony doesn't need a huge booth with games and stuff.

They just need a ginormous E3 presentation.

flippedb

Banned
E3 is losing its relevance. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony and Microsoft followed Nintendo's approach soon, ditching the large conference for several smaller ones.

A great many booths currently say that when you hover over them. Also, the halls themselves aren't even filled in yet (it just says Hall 1, Hall 2 etc. instead of South Hall, West Hall).

In other words, this'll be locked soon!

Shaanyboi

Banned
Even if it were true, I don't think it would matter much.

Sony doesn't need a huge booth with games and stuff.

They just need a ginormous E3 presentation.

I'd say not letting people get hands-on with your software looks pretty bad.

They may have another venue somewhere else, but yeah... skipping on the show floor on a hardware launch year doesn't speak well. Not at first glance, anyways.

Though like other people are saying, there needs to be a confirmation on this.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
A great many booths currently say that when you hover over them. Also, the halls themselves aren't even filled in yet (it just says Hall 1, Hall 2 etc. instead of South Hall, West Hall).

In other words, this'll be locked soon!
I already accounted for this in the first paragraph. The exhibitor list states what companies belong to what booths, and 4522 isn't mentioned for Sony there either. Sony's PMRs if you hover over them don't show Sony has reserved them either.

Rösti;57664614 said:
I already accounted for this in the first paragraph. The exhibitor list states what companies belong to what booths, and 4522 isn't mentioned for Sony there either. Sony's PMRs if you hover over them don't show Sony has reserved them either.

That's not "accounting for it." Surely this software just requires you to enter the company's name ONCE, which then automatically propagates the list format and booth-view format.

Foshy

Maybe they'll be holding the conference in OFMR4144? Looks big enough I guess. Otherwise, I'm going with this until we hear an official announcement.

It could be a glitch.

Nintendo's booth was showing as available a few weeks ago but that wasn't the case.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
That's not "accounting for it." Surely this software just requires you to enter the company's name ONCE, which then automatically propagates the list format and booth-view format.
Alright. Well, we will know soon enough what will happen at E3 anyway.

Sony will have a public booth at E3. The exhibitor list just doesn't show it yet.
Ok. It's probably a glitch then. Why that page is managed so poorly I don't know.

Meia

E3 is losing its relevance. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony and Microsoft followed Nintendo's approach soon, ditching the large conference for several smaller ones.

I actually wouldn't mind this that much.

Don't get me wrong, I like that E3 has kind of a Christmas vibe for me as a gamer as it's almost like our holiday, but waking up and seeing GAF going crazy due to some massive bombs dropped from a Nintendo Direct is pretty damn cool.

Still, can't imagine this being the case since they had a conference earlier this year. They'll have one then, but not at e3? Doubt it.

ReaperXL7

Might depend on how many games they have to show. I mean Cerny made it seem like the launch line up could be fairly impressive, so is it possible that their normal set up just wasent large enough?

I just cannot imagine that they have their smallest booth during the launch year of the PS4, between Their first party games, third party games, psn games, indie games, maybe one or two native vita games. It would be a bad move to let everyone experience many of these games on the 720, with no.hands on for the PS4 versions.

It would also not be good if they have not finailized the PS4s design yet.

electro

Banned
This has to be a mistake - I checked the E3 2013 floor plan yesterday and booth 4522 was taken by Sony. Hopefully things will be clarified soon.

There's construction to merge the two halls together. Right now half of that hall is going to be closed off during E3.

This design doesn't show that.

Top Bottom