• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I give 24% of my paycheck to the government

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotchaye

Pretty normal. You're actually doing pretty well. Median household income is only about $50k. The average household making $50k is supporting 2.5 people ($20k per person) with 1.3 earners ($38k per earner).

Although, yeah, the percentage is high if we're only talking about federal taxes. What state?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Yeah, pretty much sucks. I'm 24, and saw just a couple percentage less of my paycheck disappear last year. That, plus paying off the debt I incurred to get through school (to get the job) certainly sucks.

I'm not anti-taxes; they're definitely necessary and I realize they pay for my roads and public education and infrastructure and so much more. But I don't make great money - and I already feel the sting as a single male with (relatively) few responsibilities. I can certainly understand the hardship they cause for families and the frustration for those that give up even more of their pay.

usa_eagle_with_tear_drop_sticker__79888.jpg

ED:I am dumb, you clearly said 24% deducted from paycheck.

Are you talking exclusively about income tax? Or do you include payroll taxes like social security? Are you counting State/Federal taxes together? What about local property taxes or County/City taxes? Sales taxes on purchases?

Is this before or after you file your tax returns and receive any refunds?

pigeon

Banned
I'm 26 years old, single, no kids, make about $25K a year, and I'm a student.

Is this normal?

Standard deduction is about $6k. That leaves $19k. 10% on the first $9k and 15% on the rest, you should be paying around $2,400 in taxes or about 12%, plus FICA, plus state tax. FICA is 7.65%, that's 19%. Depending on what state you live in, that's about right.

edit:

Yes. I should have mentioned that last year I got about 2 grand back, yet I still shake the feeling that I'm getting ripped off every time I get paid.

Oh. That's kind of completely your fault, then. Change your withholdings and stop loaning money to the government. They won't mind.

Standard deduction is about $6k. That leaves $19k. 10% on the first $9k and 15% on the rest, you should be paying around $2,400 in taxes or about 12%, plus FICA, plus state tax. FICA is 7.65%, that's 19%. Depending on what state you live in, that's about right.

He said he's a student so there might be credits available.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
About what we pay in Ontario, although we're only a single income household. And we get almost all of it back at the end of year. We do receive plenty of benefits from what we do pay though, notably from healthcare. It's funny how 'taxes' is some sort of evil word to some.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
If you're a student then you'll get it all back after you do your taxes next year. Sounds like you filled out your W4 wrong or something.

How are you determining this?

If that's federal income taxes alone that's high for your income. That must be what's being withheld? Or is that net, after you get your refund?

Are you paying any tuition? That is tax deductible.

As a student making 25k you should be paying very little in income taxes. Like almost nothing beyond FICA which is 7.65%.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
In this thread, people will look at the progressive tax system, take the top tax rate that applies to them and then claim 'I pay that much tax!'

effective tax rate will not be used or considered. An example

Netherlands top tax rate is 52%

OMG THE GOVERNMENT TAKES 52% of MY MONEY
Also OP, did you think a functioning society was free? Beause all these systems we have to make our lives pleasant are turns out.... not actually free!

Change your withholding allowances. Instead of getting that fat tax return at tax season you can set it to get back very little as you got more upfront in your paychecks throughout the year.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Combining FICA, OASDI, Federal income withholding, state income withholding, all sales taxes, all personal property taxes, all real estate taxes, and any excise taxes you may incur (alcohol and tobacco), you're probably paying much more than 24% to be honest.
last year I got about 2 grand back
The first step is to get your refund to $0.

Doing this will result in less withholding, by the way.

Combining FICA, OASDI, Federal income withholding, state income withholding, all sales taxes, all personal property taxes, all real estate taxes, and any excise taxes you may incur (alcohol and tobacco), you're probably paying much more than 24% to be honest.

Probably not, unless he screwed up. I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's not paying any real or personal property taxes, since he's a student making less than 30k a year. The sales tax rate is probably 5-8% depending on where he lives, and its not applied to everything and only on some things he buys, not income. So that might end up being like 2-3% of his income. If he pays more than 20% in all taxes I would be surprised.

State income is the wild card I guess. Could be zero, could be a decent chunk.

Probably not, unless he screwed up. I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's not paying any real or personal property taxes, since he's a student making less than 30k a year. The sales tax rate is probably 5-8% depending on where he lives, and its not applied to everything and only on some things he buys, not income. So that might end up being like 2-3% of his income. If he pays more than 20% in all taxes I would be surprised.

State income is the wild card I guess. Could be zero, could be a decent chunk.

I was going strictly off my recent paychecks. I'm talking income only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom