• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo presentation at UniteNordic(Unity Developer Conference)

antonz

@Anchel 1h
Nintendo on its Web Framework: If we develop a strong foundation, hopefully everyone will use it and it will grow and grow. #UniteNordic

@Anchel 1h
Nintendo: Once you enter into an agreement with Nintendo you can register for free for a dev kit. #UniteNordic

@Anchel 1h
Nintendo on Web Framework-based apps and games: No need for concept approval, the dev sets price and date. #UniteNordic

@Anchel 1h
More barriers: development hardware price, technical compliance. Nintendo will help with that. They want more indie developers #UniteNordic

@Anchel 53m
My final impression from Nintendo's talk is that they are taking indie developers way more seriously now. That's great! #UniteNordic

More confirmation of Nintendo and their heavy push at the indie community and smaller developers. Seemingly more confirmation of Nintendo waving fees for dev kits if you catch their attention.

Nintendo on Web Framework-based apps and games: No need for concept approval, the dev sets price and date. #UniteNordic

Something tells me they will still block games based on their content if they're too obscene... like that ass invaders game.

CoolS

I'd really love for the WiiU to become an awesome Indie machine. A big, Indie focused Nintendo Direct around E3 would be amazing.

KNT-Zero

Hang on, why are they pimping their Web Framework at Unity's conference? I thought the two things were entirely unconnected.

AFAIK I think Nintendo was in agreements with Unity to help developers make stuff on Wii U, even before the console's release.

Does anyone know if they stream the talks on UnityNordic? I'm really interested...

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
More developers hopefully means the system will be better optimised in the future. This is pretty cool and makes me want to start up using Unity again.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully this means we'll see great content on the eShop. I've already bought a number of them on the 3DS, bought Toki Tori 2 on the Wii U.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
This is great. Although I wonder how many indie devs will want to develop for the WiiU considering its current sales. Hopefully Nintendo does something to pick things up

beje

Banned
This is great. Although I wonder how many indie devs will want to develop for the WiiU considering its current sales. Hopefully Nintendo does something to pick things up

A lot of indies have their work already programmed in Unity for PC or tablet. If the only thing they have to do is getting a relatively inexpensive dev kit (around 2000€) because the engine itself will compile the game for Wii U with very little effort from the programmers in mapping controls and stuff in the second screen, it's basically... well, not free money, but a very good way of diversifying portfolio and reaching a bigger audience with little effort and initial investment.

Alrus

Apparently the DL sales aren't too bad considering the install base. Nothing amazing but I guess the fact that it's pretty easy to port your unity game to the platform and there isn't much hassle in order to put on the shop makes it an easier decision. More platform, more sales.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

well, the pace of indie eshop games announced in the last few weeks is not that bad imho. probably because it's way simpler now to port/develop for the eshop and you can easily get enough sales to cover the dev costs, thx to the lack of competition from big retail games

PhantomR

Banned
Something tells me they will still block games based on their content if they're too obscene... like that ass invaders game.

Well, if it's an AO game, it's an AO game. That's up to the ESRB (And quite frankly the developer. Take some responsibility for your content).

jay

I heard that Nintendo is doing this for sinister reasons, hates indies, and prevents condoms from being used in third world countries.

Also, I'd like to know more about getting a dev kit.

DaBoss

I have to imagine it will be at least a short period of exclusivity (3-6 months, I figure) on the Wii U and/or the 3DS to get a free kit. Nothing that Sony doesn't already do with the PubFund, really.

Can't be exclusive since Adelman laughed at the notion of exclusivity.

I have to imagine it will be at least a short period of exclusivity (3-6 months, I figure) on the Wii U and/or the 3DS to get a free kit. Nothing that Sony doesn't already do with the PubFund, really.

yacht club got free dev kits i think and shovel knight aint exclusive

DaBoss

Well, then.

Nintendo is being pretty awesome, then.

Just found the thread and the tweet:
F2x8zqv.jpg

Top Bottom