• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Duolingo GAF, wanna be friends?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polari

UMMp4Rq.jpg

Duolingo is language-learning software for browsers, Android and iOS.

Currently Italian, Portugese, Spanish, German and French are all available for English speakers, while English is available for speakers of all of those languages bar German and French.

Seeing as there's leaderboards it might provide a little extra motivation. I'm doing French (barely), but I'm hoping to pick it up again within the next few months. My nick is the same as on here - if you post yours I'll update the OP with it.

GAF name - Duolingo name (Language)

* If you could use the above format when posting your nick that would be great *

Polari - Polari (French)
EloquentM - eloquentm (Spanish)
Coffeehofi - Coffeehofi (Spanish)
Metroxed - Metroxed (German)
Bomber Bob - rex64 (Spanish)
Brettison - Vanillalite (French)
Aon - Aonshix (German)
Jayayess1190 - Jayayess1190 - (French and Spanish)
8byte - jeremyricci83 (French)
xenist - xenist (French)
Mr .Swag - lukediaz (French)
The Culture Vulture - CultureVulture (French)
Smilax - Smilax_Hyaku (Spanish)
Fiction - fictionalcameos (Spanish)
0OoO0 - personoftheyear (French)
Sober - tehsober (French)
sooperkool - sooperkool (Spanish)
JessicaPadkin - JessicaPadkin (French)
Sblargh - Sblargh (Learning German, knows Portugese)
Alpende - Alpende (Spanish and German)
Vlodril - Vlodril (Spanish)
enzom21 - Enzom21 (Spanish)
smiggyRT - smiggyRT (German)
Danielsan - DanDeKlein (French)
Onion_Relish - Hycran (French)
vareon - vareon (German)
OminoMichelin - OminoMichelin (German)
SecretMoblin - secretmoblin
vDaedalus - vDaedalus (French)
Sajjaja - Sajjaja (French)
Jotamide - Oniros (German)
Easy_G - Easy_G (Spanish)
Labombadog - Labombadog (French)
Tinabina - tinabina (Spanish)
marloisasian - marleezy (French)
Grover Cleveland - Grover_Cleveland (German and Spanish)
SteveWinwood - SteveWinwood (French)
cloudwalking - cloudwalking (Italian)
chessnut - chessnut (Spanish)
sangreal - sangreal (German)
Visualante2 - Visualante (French)
catfish - dogfish182 (Spanish)
snacknuts - snacknuts (Spanish)
MadSexual - SwornToTheBlack (French)
espresso - golfislife (Spanish)
Clevinger - Clevinger (Spanish)
bananas - bananasGAF (Spanish)
gazele - Gazele (Italian)
Human_Shield - Human_Shield (French)
Douglas Quaid - D_quaid (French)
Shidosha - Shidosha (Spanish)
Jessezao - Jecoms (German)
dubc35 - dubc35 (Spanish)
youngwerther - youngwerther (German)
FelixOrion - FelixOrion (German)
skybaby - Subbiebr (German)
adamy - adamy85 (German)
TheGravemind - Thegravemind (Italian)
Suikodan - Suikodan (Spanish)

Mr.Swag

Banned
Been wanting to learn a new language.

Spanish was the first language I learned, and then English. Should I now learn French, Italian, or Portugese?

Is this on the App Store?

I am doing the spanish through facebook, I should totally get the ap instead. Maybe I'll keep up with it more. I'll add my username when I do.

I've been using this for the past couple days and I think it's pretty awesome so far. One thing I've been wondering though is just how far does this take one through their chosen language?

Say if I was to do all of the Spanish exercises that it offers, is this the equivalent of, say, a university course? Or does it offer far more (or less)? Should I expect to be able to get by fairly well in the chosen language once I complete it?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I've been using this for the past couple days and I think it's pretty awesome so far. One thing I've been wondering though is just how far does this take one through their chosen language?

Say if I was to do all of the Spanish exercises that it offers, is this the equivalent of, say, a university course? Or does it offer far more (or less)? Should I expect to be able to get by fairly well in the chosen language once I complete it?
Use it as a supplement. It gets very hard later on but if you stick to it and use other means of learning you'll learn quickly. I can't really say how it compares to a university curriculum but it's hard for me to learn languages through school and this is much easier for me so take that as you will.

Aon

Ich lerne Deutsch - Aonshix

Also: I still don't know how I feel about all these crazy sounds they've added.

8byte

Banned
Fantastic idea! Subbed! I use Duolingo to compliment my French classes in College, and it helped me grasp a lot of basic vocab and listening skills early on.

I believe my username on Duolingo is jeremyricci83? French, obviously.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Duolingo name is: lukediaz. learning french. Just downloaded today. Like it a lot! Took French in high school but didnt learn much. But this is making me remember a lot of thing.
Fuck tho. Just doing basics and Ive failed a couple times. Hope I master this. Would love to know French.

Smilax

Gonna go with Spanish. It's embarrassing to not fully speak Spanish seeing as I come from a Spanish family. Time to brush up and learn!

Username is Smilax_Hyaku

0OoO0

Add me: personoftheyear

French....took about 5 months off but just starting to get back into it. Halfway through the "game".

Mine's 'JessicaPadkin', learning French.

The new Android app is great, although I downloaded the French language pack for SwiftKey and now it feels like I'm cheating. :p

xenist

I added everyone so far except form a couple of people whose usernames came up blank. Double check them.

I noticed there were some penalties after I left the course for like 3 days in straight due to my work deadline. Losing 1 bar from my progress... So are there any other penalties like maybe downgraded level for how many failed attempt we got during the test? Just curious.

0OoO0

Photo%202-06-13%208%2014%2033%20PM.png

Does anyone know why the next batch of lesson won't unlock for me?

Is it because they added new lessons in the previous categories?

Ydahs

Learning languages in Duolingo is completely free – now and forever – with no ads or hidden fees. Wondering how that can be? It’s because you create value by translating real-world documents while you’re learning.

Here’s how it works: Somebody who needs a webpage translated uploads it to Duolingo. That document then gets presented to Duolingo students who can translate it in order to practice the language they are learning. When the document is fully translated, Duolingo returns it to the original content owner who, depending on the type of document they uploaded, pays for the translation.
Love crowdsourcing. Might give this a shot if I find the time later in the month.

Polari

I think I've added everyone - if I missed you/got something wrong let me know! Hopefully they'll add groups functionality at some point, heh. If you want to add people easily, check out my account, click the +x, and then it will give you a list you can just scroll down and click on each one for.

Alpende

I'm doing German and mainly Spanish. I already know some German from highschool and Spanish is compeletly new so I focus on that.

Name: Alpende

Vlodril

Doing spanish for the last 3 weeks since i got serious on learning the language(noone speaks english here).

Same nick as here.

smiggyRT

smiggyRT - German

Started last summer but didn't have enough time to keep it going, soon as the Android app is on tablets I'll be right back in. Using memrise and well for some extra vocabulary.

Danielsan

Downloaded the app after seeing this thread today. Seems pretty damn great. I've been meaning to learn a third langue (fourth if you count my incredibly poor German) and I've got a holiday trip to France coming up in July. Would be fun to bust out some French in front of my friends.

DanDeKlein - French

Polari

Downloaded the app after seeing this thread today. Seems pretty damn great. I've been meaning to learn a third langue (fourth if you count my incredibly poor German) and I've got a holiday trip to France coming up in July. Would be fun to bust out some French in front of my friends.

DanDeKlein - French

Hmm... you don't seem to be coming up.

Hycran - French

I'm really waiting more so for mandarin. My french is decent enough without this (not good by any means but passable)

Can we have a memrise gaf as well?

vareon

I just started German. How do I change my username btw? My name is 03Hx o_o

Edit: Nevermind -- I'm vareon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom