• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Thief" is part of AMD's Gaming Evolved program, Nixxes does PC port

As expected.

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Thief-4-PC-98521/News/Thief-AMD-Gaming-Evolved-1072590/

amd-thief-gaming-evolzzzvv.jpg

This part sounds like Nixxes does the PC port, someone that speaks German should confirm:

Es ist bekannt, dass auch bei Thief 4 das Studio Nixxes die PC-Portierung übernimmt und die hatten bei Tomb Raider bereits einen ordentlichen Job abgeliefert, wenn man einmal von den Problemen mit Nvidia-Karten absieht.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What were the problems with the Tomb Raider port? Other than the TressFX stuff at the beginning?

Squeenix stuffed Nvidia around, sending it the gold master build, which undid much of the earlier optimisation work, mere days before launch. This is why it took a good few weeks for the kinks to be ironed on Nvidia-based systems.

It's possible for a game to prefer one architecture over another without crippling performance and engendering tremendous instability on the opposition's hardware. ;)

dionysus

Yaldog
It's possible for a game to prefer one architecture over another without crippling performance and engendering tremendous instability on the opposition's hardware. ;)

It's possible but how likely? Any time a game is sponsored by AMD or Nvidia there is a good chance it will take some time after launch for the unsponsored graphics cards to get all the kinks worked out. Especially if Nvidia does the sponsoring, and I don't believe it is because Nvidia is more evil, it is just that there is less incentive to test and optimize for AMD hardware since they only have about half the marketshare as Nvidia. When AMD sponsors a game the devs aren't normally going to take a shit on 60-70% of their potential customers.

gizio

"Es ist bekannt, dass auch bei Thief 4 das Studio Nixxes die PC-Portierung übernimmt und die hatten bei Tomb Raider bereits einen ordentlichen Job abgeliefert, wenn man einmal von den Problemen mit Nvidia-Karten absieht".

It's known, that Studio Nixxes is also in charge for the pc-port of Thief 4, they already did a good job with Tomb Raider, despite some issues with Nvidia-cards.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's possible but how likely? Any time a game is sponsored by AMD or Nvidia there is a good chance it will take some time after launch for the unsponsored graphics cards to get all the kinks worked out. Especially if Nvidia does the sponsoring, and I don't believe it is because Nvidia is more evil, it is just that there is less incentive to test and optimize for AMD hardware since they only have about half the marketshare as Nvidia. When AMD sponsors a game the devs aren't normally going to take a shit on 60-70% of their potential customers.

I of course wasn't asking that things be all fine and dandy on the first day, just that the game run without serious issues on non-AMD hardware upon launch. Human Revolution was one such case; Tomb Raider was not.

Gbraga

Good to know, I thought their previous works were all great, even Tomb Raider I didn't have an issue with (didn't use TressFX though).

Top Bottom