• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking back at E3 2005/2006

As this gen is coming to an end and a new is about to be introduced, lets look back at when the current console cycle was introduced in E3 05/06, arguably the biggest and most entertaining E3s of all time. I just love to look back at the trailers and first ever demonstrations of things that are now commonplace or obsolete by newer tech, it makes me nostalgic:

Microsoft:

2005:
Microsoft E3 2005 full press conference
-old dashboard nostalgia
-PGR3
-Kameo

jallardxbox2005qfxn1.png

Nintendo:

Nintendo 2005 press conference

Revolution:
Iwata%20Revolution%20Announcement.jpg

2 billion games sold
Nintendo wifi connect for the DS
Nintendogs

Sony

2005:
Full conference
Motorstorm demo
Killzone demo
UE3 demo

ps3_onshowfloor_13.JPG

specs specs specs
http://abload.de/img/ps32005116ydt.png
ps32005116ydt.png

ps320052w2b2o.png

ps320053esad1.png

2006:

Microsoft:

Full conference

GRAW 05 ''gameplay''

Halo 3 2006 announcement

Gears demo

bc554a4cfdbca64e048ff3vafg.jpg

Sony:

Full conference

MGS4 15 minute trailer, sick ending!

0ed0fde3089d04ce44c5a2333addc306.jpg

Nintendo:

Nintendo 2006 press conference
Red Steel lol trailer
Super Mario Galaxy

4689609941_e0464ceb02_z.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
the staging in that J Allard picture is insane.

He's sitting bow-legged on a round stage, facing some of the audience. Some of the audience is behind him, and craning their necks backwards to see the screen.

???

Yawnier

Banned
E3 2005 is practically the year of the CGI trailer to me, there were a lot of CGI trailers that year especially for games that never released or never actually existed in the first place.

george_us

Man I honestly never thought that this generation's reveal would be nearly as entertaining/fucked up as 2005/2006 but this has far surpassed it. We haven't even gotten prices for both systems either.

Nicktendo86

Nothing could top that era of E3 reveals, so epic. This year will be finding out about how and when we are allowed to play our games and whether we will be allowed to loan them to our friends.

macewank

You know, I really wish I would've had the opportunity to play with the boomerang. It's ugly as sin, but it might've been fun?

Oh, and <3 that blade dashboard. I miss it :(

the staging in that J Allard picture is insane.

He's sitting bow-legged on a round stage, facing some of the audience. Some of the audience is behind him, and craning their necks backwards to see the screen.

???

Weren't the ones around the stage actors though? I remembers journos complaining about people around the stage crossing their arms in the shape of an X.

Loved the look of the boomerang, nice long handles. DS4 looks to be between the DS3 and boomerang for handle length, which may be perfecto.

ASIS

Man that Wii Shot is incredible. Wiimote is also the sexiest looking controller ever built. Seriously look at that.

Ah the banana controller, I was baffled from the moment my eyes were laid on it.
And that Halo 3 announcement trailer, man that blew me away.
It was everything my nerdy Halo brain wanted.

Carl

I didn't watch E3 in 2005 and i never bothered to watch them, so thanks for giving me something to do :) I've seen bits and pieces, but never the whole thing :p

Holy crap, I'd forgotten how masterful the opening 10 minutes of Nintendo's 2006 conference were. Minimal bullshit, just a clear, confident statement about what Wii was, peppered with great reveals. Wii U needed something like that years ago.

Back when MS had great conferences... *sigh* (And speakers that weren't total tools *cough*Mattrick*cough*)

Nintendo, too. So good

and when Sony was embarrassing themselves.

But as far as the games go, those that weren't fake CG trailers were amazing at the time. I remember being super-hyped for Assassin's Creed and Gears of War. TP and Mario Galaxy for the Wii. Oh and Red Steel! lol, what could have been with that game.

I remember when G4 went to commercial just when they were starting to play the Halo 3 trailer, with Sessler screaming for them not to cut to commercial.

Biggzy

That Halo 3 trailer blew me away...

I still got goosebumps watching it again now.

Holy crap, I'd forgotten how masterful the opening 10 minutes of Nintendo's 2006 conference were. Minimal bullshit, just a clear, confident statement about what Wii was, peppered with great reveals. Wii U needed something like that years ago.

The contrast between the two is staggering.

Ein Bear

I love how casually they announce Mario fucking Galaxy in there. Just cut into a montage.

The HYPE.

Loxley

There are times where I completely forget that the Boomerang controller existed. Do we we know if Sony ever actually made functional versions of it? Or did it never make it past the conceptual/prototype stages?

legacyzero

Banned
Wow at this MS 2005 conference. I've never seen it. This was when I was a PS2 fanboy and didn't care.

Just after, I played almost nothing but Xbox 360.

What the hell happened to you Microsoft....

Sloane

Banned
E3 2005 is practically the year of the CGI trailer to me, there were a lot of CGI trailers that year especially for games that never released or never actually existed in the first place.
Yup, 2005 was the E3 of lies. Wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened this year.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This is why I have fairly low expectations for tomorrow. Haha.

What is Miyamoto doing in the e3 2006 video

lololol

DrEvil

not a medical professional
2006 was my favourite E3, second only to 2001.. it was such an amazing circus, and 2006 was the last year before the 'reboot'.. so happy to have been there. The Press conferences were fantastic, everything was just... the perfect example of what E3 should be.

also, because of this:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/404218_10151108777290704_1854984847_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/402450_10151108770540704_1926381504_n.jpg

Holy hell I looked young, ha.

Lkr

goddamn i forgot how bad the boomerang controller was. how the fuck do you hold that hahahaha

Majine

Banned
The thing I'm happy about for this years E3 is that both consoles are launching this year, so there's hopefully going to be very little conceptual bullshit, and more of what we're actually going to get.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Nintendo Directs have been much more like Nintendo E3 2006 than anything else they've done since.

Now I'm really, really interested to see how they present their first E3 direct.

2006 WAS AMAZING seriously MS had fantastic conference and Nintendo blew EVERYONE AWAY.

Sony 2006: trolllolool 599 and giant enemy crab should say enough

e3_microsoft_tds_v5j67sf.gif

I remember when G4 went to commercial just when they were starting to play the Halo 3 trailer, with Sessler screaming for them not to cut to commercial.

lol, I remember that. When they came back you could tell they were all pissed.

I never watched E3 on G4 again after that.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Was E3 2006 Nintendo's best conference? Just incredibly cohesive and full of great games.

Volotaire

Was E3 2006 Nintendo's best conference? Just incredibly cohesive and full of great games.

2010 and 2004 as well are arguably damn good as well.

2010 3ds/zelda/kirby/donkey kong/kid icarus/other

2004 - ds/metroid prime hunters/other ds games/ revolution teaser/reggie reveal/zelda twilight princess crying

Erasus

I remember watching the Killzone 2 and MGS4 trailers over and over! :D

So glad when I got a PS3. Did not like xbox due to online paying and having a PS2 so was in the Sony camp.

When I tried the Ratchet ToD demo I was sold

Top Bottom