• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Xbox One 'balances needs of consumers, publishers and retailers'

CVG

Xbox One's divisive online and pre-owned strategies were designed to balance the needs of consumers, publishers, retailers and Microsoft itself, a senior Xbox executive has said.

"
But there are tradeoffs," he acknowledged. "We do want to support everyone in that system, beginning with the consumer. But we want publishers to get paid for the great IP they work on. We want retailers to be able to drive and sell our products and make a profit. So we are trying to balance across all those."
"We're trying to do something pretty big in terms of moving the industry forward for console gaming into the digital world. We believe the digital world is the future, and we believe digital is better," he said.

"As you go into a digital world, what's happening is publishers are choosing to have different business models, and consumers are saying 'Hey, if I can't resell the title, provide me a different way to get value to get into your game.' And we think the market will be efficient in finding good models that work for consumers."

Further commenting on criticism of its new Xbox One policies, Mehdi said: "I think it's fair to say there's a segment of consumers at this show in particular who really pay attention, who are very passionate about all aspects of gaming, and that we listen to closely. In a broader set of community, people don't pay attention to a lot of the details. We've seen it in the research, we've seen it in a lot of the data points.

Old, this was already posted yesterday.

I think the most notable bit of info is:
It’s a “family” affair

Since its announcement, there has been some confusion over the details of sharing your Xbox One game library with up to ten "family members." Mehdi couldn't give comprehensive details, but he did clarify some things.

For one, a family member doesn't have to be a "blood relative," he said, eliminating the extremely unlikely possibility that the Xbox One would include a built-in blood testing kit. For another, they don't have to live in the primary owner's house—I could name a friend that lives 3,000 miles away as one of my "family members" Mehdi said.

You'll be able to link other Xbox Live accounts as having shared access to your library when you first set up a system and will also be able to add them later on (though specific details of how you manage these relationships is still not being discussed). The only limitation, it seems, is that only one person can be playing the shared copy of a single game at any given time. All in all, this does sound like a pretty convenient feature that's more workable than simply passing discs around amongst friends who are actually in your area.
That's a pretty massive carrot that Microsoft should be dangling more obviously.

FGMPR

Banned
So how come Sony managed to "balance" their system in a manner objectively superior to their own?

I also love his remark that 'the market will sought out the value proposition for consumers'. That's not good enough; Valve made things happen and pushed for things like mass sales, non-restrictive key selling and so forth. They didn't sit on their arse and, when asked, spew out some trickle down economics rhetoric in an attempt to cover the issue's people had with the service.

In a broader set of community, people don't pay attention to a lot of the details. We've seen it in the research, we've seen it in a lot of the data points.

"we know we are anti consumer, but in our research the average joe is too busy to pay attention"

Fuck off MicroSoft.

" In a broader set of community, people don't pay attention to a lot of the details. We've seen it in the research, we've seen it in a lot of the data points."

Welp.

DBT85

The digital world is the future, but you want to drag people kicking and screaming rather than offer a carrot.

That's why people think you are cunts for your decisions.

If you'd kept retail as it was but offered digital titles at 60% of the retail price you would have been lauded as someone actually trying in the digital space.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Further commenting on criticism of its new Xbox One policies, Mehdi said: "I think it's fair to say there's a segment of consumers at this show in particular who really pay attention, who are very passionate about all aspects of gaming, and that we listen to closely. In a broader set of community, people don't pay attention to a lot of the details. We've seen it in the research, we've seen it in a lot of the data points.

That's a pretty arrogant stance, they are basically hoping the majority of consumers stay ignorant. Never thought I'd see them just come straight out and say it though.

Kind of misses the point that the vocal and passionate share their feelings / opinions with others, look at the effect that the "vocal and passionate" had on Sony's mindshare when it had trouble in the middle of last generation.

goomba

Banned
In a broader set of community, people don't pay attention to a lot of the details. We've seen it in the research, we've seen it in a lot of the data points.

translation: consumers are ignorant idiots so we can get away with this shit.

its the same reason they got away with pay to play online ad why sony have now followed suit.

242.gif

None of what you have created helps your consumers whatsoever. Sony has managed to create a system that isn't always online and is without used game DRM. From what I can see every third party publisher is still on board. Cease trying to feed consumers awful PR speak to defend your position MS, because if anything you look worse for it.

Dat Sony 2006 feel.

This part is really discouraging:

It means MS did a LOT of focus test and dudebros, generally speaking, don't give a shit about DRM, used games and online only.

It means that with large enough sum of money spend on marketing Collar Duty or Titanfall they will reach massive install base w/o all those people that were behing #PS4NoDRM and #XboxOneNoDRM movements.

I am saddened by this :(

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Balanced heavily in favour of themselves and large publishers? Sure.

Haha. Microsoft openly banking on gamer ignorance. Wonderful.

Freki

" In a broader set of community, people don't pay attention to a lot of the details. We've seen it in the research, we've seen it in a lot of the data points."

Welp.
This is pretty disgusting - "we know our policies are shit for the consumer but we think most of them are to dumb to notice"

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Yeah, unfortunately I only care about the needs of the first of those three.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
This part is really discouraging:

It means MS did a LOT of focus test and dudebros, generally speaking, don't give a shit about DRM, used games and online only.

It means that with large enough sum of money spend on marketing Collar Duty or Titanfall they will reach massive install base w/o all those people that were behing #PS4NoDRM and #XboxOneNoDRM movements.

I am saddened by this :(

It doesn't say that they don't care, it says that they don't know. There's a difference, and it's important. Not caring isn't something greater exposure will do anything about, not knowing is.

2MF

What I want to know is whether Microsoft is stopping other Europeans from importing games from the UK, where prices are usually much better. Have they clarified yet?

Burger

Of course they believe digital is 'better'. It allows them complete control, and it becomes their property instead of yours.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Guess I'm not passionate enough about all aspects of gaming, to accept them taking over all of my future purchases.

Xamdou

They should have included GAF as part of their research, together we could have found balance in the force.

Nikodemos

This is pretty disgusting - "we know our policies are shit for the consumer but we think most of them are to dumb to notice"
It seems that just like Sony have reverted to 'jilted lover'-era Sony, so have MS reverted to 'fuck you, we're Microsoft'-era MS. Ironically enough, both were roughly around the same timeframe, in the mid-90s.

Feorax

I'm beginning to see why they cancelled so many press meetings now. If this is the amount of shit that they could come up with with limited contact time, can you imagine the stuff they would have said with 30 minute one-on-one interviews?

according to cliffyB we're all morons for not approving of microsoft's agenda anyway so what do we know

I for one dont give a shit about publishers or retailers needs. if there was a way for me to pay the developers directly I would do so. Activision publishing destiny doesn't make me want destiny, Bungie making destiny makes me want destiny. I understand why activision is a part of this but dont care

Dont Starve/transistor/octodad2 etc are being self published on Ps4 and that is simply something not allowed on the new xbox, so I know where my money is going

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Great for Consumers!

Internet required.
You own nothing.

Great for Retailers!

We want everything to go digital.

Only thing the XBone is good for is Publishers and Microsoft. No one else.

RoeBear

How can they say they're thinking about retailers when they also want an all digital future. That doesn't make sense to me.

cchum

"In a broader set of community, people don't pay attention to a lot of the details."

Ummm...that's because people listen to the Maven's of the group, who disseminate the information in a concise manner. Read The Tipping Point.

Ravek

Banned
Weird...them helping EVERYONE sure feels like a knife twisting in the consumers' back. A wound that was already salty.

If this was the only way they could have disc free gaming then I'm with it.

You have always had the option of purchasing your games digitally if you want. Even the PS3, currently, as in now, has day and date digital launches to pretty much every game released.

Heh.

Nibiru

Banned
Nonsense. They think we are idiots. It's anti-consumer draconian DRM and that's that. MS is going full out with the lipstick on a pig tactic.

Top Bottom