• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Gamestop warring with Microsoft?

goldenpp72

So I was under the impression GS and MS had some kind of agreement going for the used games thing but it might not be as cozy as it comes off. I went to my local spot today to try and find a copy of PGR4, only to see on the TV (which usually markets various upcoming games) a bunch of footage from Sony's E3 conference. The footage however continued to put emphasis on the lack of DRM and selling used games over and over rather than the games. The employee also has hand outs explaining all the Xbox one rules and restrictions to every consumer that ask about the console.

Anyone else see anything like this? Would be an interesting situation if it's a wide scale thing. I think the more pressure on them the better, but I wonder if I just have a lone fan going postal or if GS is going to remove focus on the system.

Tamanon

Banned
Odd, could just be overzealous managers there. I would think they wouldn't be quite so blatant about it though.

I guess GS got Xboned and are still hurt about how it felt?

In all seriousness, I wouldn't be surprised at GS trying to sell the PS4 as it looks to be the more friendlier choice when it comes to used games sales, but it could just be a local thing the manager or DM decided to do to notify customers.

edit: Xbone reminds me of T-bones, and T-bones are delicious. Man I really could go for one right now. I'm so hungry.

CaptainCally24

Neo Member
They're showing stuff from both conferences, usually the video is on a loop of every 20-30 minutes with different ads popping in every few minutes.. but they show the same kind of coverage of the Xbox One event

Raxus

I don't think it is Gamestop as much as it is the employees shit talking the system. I went there today to trade for Dragon's Crown and everyone was hating on the Xbone.

Heard of employees doing the same around here. I mean, they aren't doing anything wrong. They're just giving out facts to the customers...but yeah, pretty funny. If I were Gamestop, I would do the exact same thing.

wgRIZft.jpg

Woah, that's kinda nuts that they would post that up...

Izick

Not sure if "warring," but I'd think they'd like to highlight and advertise the company that would potentially give them more profit.

Alphahawk

I don't think it's "warring" so much as Gamestop covering their asses before they are bombarded by people who buy the console without realizing the implications.

Gamestop TV is also essentially a video game news service so I don't really think they'd ignore the whole DRM thing.

My local GS changed their window displays to market all Song products; Vitas, PS3, PS4 preorders, Kratos and Last of Us marketing everywhere.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
At my Gamestop, in Ireland, the staff were talking to customers about it and were pretty merciless in tearing Xbox One to shreds.

But I assume(d) that was not a corporate policy and just them speaking as gamers themselves. Was a wee bit odd though.

NeoUltima

Makes sense. MS simply allows publishers to let their game be traded-in. Publishers can still block trade-ins on Xbone if they want.

Odrion

Banned
It may either be Gamestop employees acting out on their own, or Gamestop figured "Why only have some of the pie with Microsoft when you can have all of it with Sony?"

Soler

Banned
So I was under the impression GS and MS had some kind of agreement going for the used games thing but it might not be as cozy as it comes off. I went to my local spot today to try and find a copy of PGR4, only to see on the TV (which usually markets various upcoming games) a bunch of footage from Sony's E3 conference. The footage however continued to emphasis the lack of DRM and selling used games over and over rather than the games. The employee also has hand outs explaining all the Xbox one rules and restrictions to every consumer that ask about the console.

Anyone else see anything like this? Would be an interesting situation if it's a wide scale thing. I think the more pressure on them the better, but I wonder if I just have a lone fan going postal or if GS is going to remove focus on the system.
Prob because with Xbone games they have to pay a royalty fee

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
All the Gamestops and Best Buys in my area are actively promoting PS4 and a only talking about (read:making fun of) XBO if you mention it to them.

They are protecting their profits.
Once the majority goes digital only the probably have to close shop or innovate.
For hardware hell you have amazon for that once they are more global.

Usobuko

Banned
My local GS changed their window displays to market all Song products; Vitas, PS3, PS4 preorders, Kratos and Last of Us marketing everywhere.

Now it seems that The Last of Us pushed back to after E3 was a good move for Sony. All these free advertisements.

Majanew

Banned
I pre-ordered a PS4 and XB1 at my local GameStop. No one there said anything other than they were almost out of XB1 reserves.

It may either be Gamestop employees acting out on their own, or Gamestop figured "Why only have some of the pie with Microsoft when you can have all of it with Sony?"

Yeah. I also think they probably thought sony was going to do the same. Now they know otherwise they are trying to bet on the wining horse so to speak.

iclash

Every retailer should be handing out the info/rules on how the Xbox One functions, otherwise they are going to be dealing with angry customers (esp parents) that are unable to use the system in ways that were previously possible. A good portion of potential customers have no idea about the issues presented by the Xbox One. If I ran a game store I'd let everyone know, and it has nothing to do with my opinion on the DRM, but because I won't want to deal with the coming backlash.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Weren't people predicting this would happen. It's not about helping Sony or something, but purely about self preservation.

minty_jpg

The lady at my local GameStop was taking several shits on the Xbox One when I went to pre-order and she was discouraging another dude to pre-order the Xbox One. She got him to "think about it" and leave.

She also said that 3 guys had traded in their Xbox 360's for PS3's in hate. I don't know if that's true, but I doubt Xbros would do that.

Xbros: would you do that?

goldenpp72

All the Gamestops and Best Buys in my area are actively promoting PS4 and a only talking about (read:making fun of) XBO if you mention it to them.

That's basically the reaction I got out of the employee, I'm actively against the Xbox one policies but I still enjoy my 360, so he gave me a bit of shit about buying 360 games. I know in the past he has preferred the PS3, but it would seem odd that one employee could also give out the pamphlets and pick what to show on the TV without being busted, or condoned.

Do you have a picture of said flyers?

I tend to go to the store every few days to see if they have a few of the games i'm missing to finish my Wii collection, so while I don't have one now I can see about nabbing one the next time I go there. I already know all the rules so I guess I didn't feel the need, it was just a black and white print out with all the rules outlined and I think a picture of the console on it.

Tbh I think it's probably in Gamestop's best interest to inform customers of the Bone policies, as it will save them a lot of headaches in the future when people come in complaining they can't play their games and whatnot.
It's probably no more than that, I wouldn't assume an anti-MS agenda or anything.

Seanspeed

Banned
Not very smart if they want Microsoft to be one of their partners where people can trade-in games.

Tbh I think it's probably in Gamestop's best interest to inform customers of the Bone policies, as it will save them a lot of headaches in the future when people come in complaining they can't play their games and whatnot.
It's probably no more than that, I wouldn't assume an anti-MS agenda or anything.

That would make sense.

Afrodium

Banned
I'm sure GameStop is one of the 'approved retailers' that the Xbox One will support, and will be more than happy to play ball with Microsoft. However, this doesn't mean that they don't also realize that it will be much better for their business model to throw their weight behind Sony right now.

Guevara

So I was under the impression GS and MS had some kind of agreement going for the used games thing but it might not be as cozy as it comes off. I went to my local spot today to try and find a copy of PGR4, only to see on the TV (which usually markets various upcoming games) a bunch of footage from Sony's E3 conference. The footage however continued to emphasis the lack of DRM and selling used games over and over rather than the games. The employee also has hand outs explaining all the Xbox one rules and restrictions to every consumer that ask about the console.

Whoa if true. I'd really like to see this handout.

ScrubJay

Was at a gamestop to pick up a $20 PS card and the employee and some customers were thrashing the XBox. The customer was the one who raised the topic, but the employee had plenty to say about it as well.

Now that public opinion is solidly in Sony's court, expect their promotions and advertising to favor Sony. Even if MS had no DRM, Sony's looking to make them the most money due to the price alone.

Top Bottom