• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBC interviews Tetsuya Nomura on FFXV

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Thanks to rockman zx. It's an interesting read:

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/f...ctor-art-modern-setting-crazy-hair-6C10312260

NBC News: Some say that the "Final Fantasy" games are getting too modern for a game with "fantasy" in its name — but of course, tech and magic have always been at odds in the series. How do you see it?

Tetsuya Nomura: I don't like the extreme cases of tech or magic. If I choose, I choose a modern setting — but that's not a good setting for a game. So if you look at "FFXV," it starts in a very modern world similar to Shinjuku (in downtown Tokyo), but when the story starts, you go to the medieval world — but the weapons they are using are high tech-weapons; that kind of combo is what I like.

Q: On that note, and this might sound a little silly, but hair has always appeared to be a big part of your character design. Has that become more important as technology enables it?

A: If you look at the real world, you don't see too many extreme hairstyles. That's why characters in games should have unique hairstyles. It's just one way to showcase each character's personality. We do have to deform some realistic hairstyles to more game-appropriate styles.

Sometimes I wish we had the easiness Western FPS (first-person shooters) have, to make everyone bald. We're a company that's known for unique hairstyles, but in a way we're running out of ideas.

Q: Does character design have a big effect on gameplay, or is it the other way around? Do level designers say "We need an ice monster" and you comply, or can you also say "This character I've made should definitely use a spear"?

A: When I design the "silhouette" (i.e. general outline) I make suggestions such as "this character should carry something long on his back." Before, I used to design weapons as well, but now I only design characters. It was until "FFX" that I was doing weapons — if you remember the Buster Sword and Gunsword, those were suggested back to the developer teams and they used them in gameplay.

It was until "FF8" that I designed monsters. If you look at the trailer for "FFXV," the behemoth and giants were originally designed for "FF7" and "FF8" by me; they were redesigned for "XV."

Q: Where does character inspiration come from? Modern fashion, history books or does it just spring into your head?

A: It's not like I'm always thinking about character design. When I receive orders, I start imagining things. The image of that character, the "silhouette," comes into my mind, and from that I start thinking of details. In the past I would probably flip through the pages of fashion magazines, now I look through the Web pages of my favorite brands.

More in the link

sappyday

Pretty weird to think that Nomura joined Square just because of his love towards Amano. He would never of thought that he would be leading two of the biggest franchises.

Videoneon

NBC huh? That's unexpected. They asked some pretty interesting questions (there's only one or two left out from the article itself) and it was a good, short read.

Also, lol at Western FPS bald space marine comment

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I found this interesting:

It was until "FF8" that I designed monsters. If you look at the trailer for "FFXV," the behemoth and giants were originally designed for "FF7" and "FF8" by me; they were redesigned for "XV."

Seems like some FFVII and FFVIII monsters will be in FFXV?

Unique hairstyles? They're just copying the Japanese host look. Which is odd because even in Japan it's a pretty niche thing.

Seeing the classic Iron Giant & Behemoth in the trailer was one of the most exciting things for me. FF7 & FF8 had my fave creature design of the 3D Final Fantasies, so this is very encouraging!

RedAssedApe

Banned
Sometimes I wish we had the easiness Western FPS (first-person shooters) have, to make everyone bald

So true...

1237687236272.jpg

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Nomura is a riot, so happy he's finally allowed to talk again beyond "no comments". Interesting interview, only wish it was longer. I'm always wanting to know more about his processes.

Wazzy

Banned
I don't understand how people can actually say Nomura does only emo/spiky hair.

Squall, Seifer, Zell, Yuna, Auron, Irvine, Aya and many more are all different.

VIII I think was the most toned down hair and clothing wise.

I hope so. They both had great monster designs(though I found VIII's more detailed and unique) so it's nice to hear of some possibly returning.

Top Bottom