• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THEORY: SCE bend studio is working on uncharted ps4

Empty

so despite uncharted golden abyss shipping in december 2011, bend studio have yet to have their next game announced. i was expecting it at e3 for vita and its absence makes me wonder.

- if they were working on another vita game you'd expect to see it now given that they've already established their tech on the system and they've generally made games on a two year schedule, yet they missed the perfect opportunity to announce it at e3, instead talking about god of war 1+2, dead nation and flower. yoshida has also said that all sony's studios are working on ps4 (source).

- it's understandable that sony would want an uncharted game on ps4. it's probably their biggest brand behind god of war and gran turismo, is a real showpiece for new hardware and a crowdpleaser among critics and fans.

- on the other hand naughty dog is establishing itself as a brand in of itself outside of uncharted with the last of us; they're becoming synonymous with highly polished games with memorable stories. having them make more uncharted instead of trying something new wastes that to a certain extent by combining the two selling points, as both uncharted and naughty dog can sell on their own. there's lots of pulls for the top talent at naughty dog towards independent development if they can't scratch their creative itches, uncharted 2 designer rich lemarchand left to become an academic helping young indies for example. so they might feel done with nathan drake and want to try something new again like they did after jak x.

- bend studio can make a competent uncharted. golden abyss has 80 on metacritic, with most criticsm falling on tacked on the awful touch controls to try and sell the vita's features that wouldn't be an issue on ps4 and they now know the franchise and gameplay well enough to blow things up for the sequel.

- sony has no qualms switching developers for the fourth console entry in a series: see sly: thieves in time.

so yeah. what do people think. maybe wishful thinking, as i definetely want this to happen, but i think it's plausible.

I wouldn't mind that, I want Naughty Gods to work on another new franchise. I love Uncharted by I don't want Sony milk it too hard. Wait for a couple of years and have just two for the generation.

Xater

i would be alright with that. I want Naughty Dog to move on to more new stuff and maybe one TLoU sequel.

That'd be good as it'll allow ND to work on another IP, but I still find it far more likely Bend is working on another Uncharted outing for Vita.

Spiegel

November 2012

“Bend Studio[,] the creators of Sony’s flagship Vita title Uncharted[:] Golden Abyss is currently looking for the entertainment industries [sic] top artistic talent to help us create AAA content for Sony’s powerful new hardware,” the listing reads. “We just scratched the surface on what the Vita can do with Uncharted[:] Golden Abyss and expect to push the platform even further with our future projects.”

Busty

Banned
..., a friend, of a friend, of a friend yadda-yadda-yadda heard almost the same thing (though not specifically BEND developing), that Naughty Dog's 'Uncharted team' where doing something new while Uncharted 4 was farmed out to someone else. Being such a paper thin bit of info it hardly felt worth posting.

*shrugs shoulders*

jett

D-Member
Probably for the best for ND to ditch Uncharted. I think they've virtually exhausted that IP at this point.

DMeisterJ

Banned
This would be great. I enjoyed Uncharted Vita more than U3 by quite a margin, and I wasn't sure if I was ready for another ND Uncharted game after U3.

cebri.one

ND is not making UE4, i'm sure of that. I remember an interview with Evan Wells where he said that if you make the same IP over and over again, eventually developers get tired of it, and the most probable thing is that your brightest developers will leave to seek new objectives and challenges.

Pachimari

I want Naughty Dog to work on something new and not a The Last of Us sequel. I want Bend to work on a Golden Abyss 2 for Vita but I'm also fine with a Syphon Filter on PS4. In fact, I would prefer Syphon Filter. =;)

Spiegel

that's pretty damning haha

now why didn't they show it when everyone was watching ;_;

Yeah, I was surprised too. As far as we know Sony doesn't have many first party games in development so maybe Bend has moved to PS4.

It would go against everything they have always said but it is possible.

DiscoJer

Bend are a smaller, portable studio. They're working on a Vita game.

So why hasn't anything been announced then?

That's what's so funny, they've been working on something for 1 year and a half, presumably, and not a peep. I realize they patched U:GA, but I imagine most of the team moved onto the design after it shipped.

That sort of secrecy would make sense for a title not meant to be released for another 2 years or so, but not for something soon. I mean, Killzone Merc was announced last year at Gamescon, about a year and a month in advance.

Surely they'd announce anything from Bend well in advance, like Killzone.

Maybe that's when their next Vita game will be announced, but it seems strange that a Vita game would take that long to develop.

thats a nice theory to have

Bend Studio making uncharted PS4 confirmed

YesJackNicholson.gif

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Sony has to do everything possible to prevent talent leaving at ND. if that means they want to do another IP, they get to do it.

Just make sure the creative leads there are not actually upset with someone else handling their IP. If I were insomniac, for example, I might be sad about how other studios got to do ratchet and resistance. But then again i would also feel immeasurable shame for resistance 2 so maybe id be quiet.

And I doubt they are doing syphon filter because yoshida would surely have told me, the biggest sf fan on earth.

Colin Moriarity asked Shuhei Yoshida about Bend on the Beyond podcast.

Shuhei said something along the lines of:

They're doing something very interesting... let's just say it plays to their strengths.

Ricky_R

I hope the next Uncharted is made by Naughty Dog, but I wouldn't mind if it's made by Bend as long as we get an awesome game. They can refine a few things too, but please don't change the general recipe.

Also, it would be financially stupid for Sony to not release an Uncharted game on the PS4. The franchise has become very well known and very representative of the PS brand. The series is also one of their most lucrative franchises and has reached "system seller" status IMO.

I don't know about that, personally I would rather see them making a new Syphon Filter, it was heavily rumored before, heck it was even rumored around the time we started to hear about the next God of War which turned out to be Ascension.

I just hope they nail Syphon Filter

Yoshida on the Beyond podcast made it sound like they're making a Syphon Filter.
That would be rad.

If I was Sony I wouldn't let anyone but ND touch the Uncharted series, at least for consoles.
Also I agree with this.

Though personally, I think Uncharted should take a little break, I wouldn't mind if Naughty Dogs were working on a Sci-fi kinda game similar to the comic/movie poster that was leaked not so long, it would be interesting.

So why hasn't anything been announced then?

That's what's so funny, they've been working on something for 1 year and a half, presumably, and not a peep. I realize they patched U:GA, but I imagine most of the team moved onto the design after it shipped.

That sort of secrecy would make sense for a title not meant to be released for another 2 years or so, but not for something soon. I mean, Killzone Merc was announced last year at Gamescon, about a year and a month in advance.

Surely they'd announce anything from Bend well in advance, like Killzone.

Maybe that's when their next Vita game will be announced, but it seems strange that a Vita game would take that long to develop.

Saving it and a few other game announcements for a re-launch this holiday season alongside a price drop? I sure as hell hope that's their plan.

Bend would have to staff up like fucking crazy to work on a PS4 game. It's a ridiculous idea.

Jawmuncher

Uncharted GA is the Uncharted game i've enjoyed the most.

If this happens I would be relatively happy.

While Uncharted 2 still stands as my favorite, Golden Abyss was better than both 1 and 3 minus the touch screen nonsense.

If they are working on UC4 I wouldn't mind at all. Hell I'm sure they'd make it better than UC3 they already did that with GA.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
if there is an Uncharted 4 (and as one of Sony's big IPs there should be), people will expect to be blown away by it - they'll expect spectacle, fantastic writing, amazing animation etc.

If that can be done by someone like bend, more power to them. But would that be a risk Sony are willing to take? Freeing up ND to work on new stuff sounds great though.

Personally I'd be tempted to have ND do an UC4, blow people away with what can be done, and get used to the new machine. Then hand that engine over to someone else for UC5, and take the tech and develop it further for new IP

Empty

Because many of those people didn't care about the Vita/PS3 and just wanted Sony to focus on the PS4.

that would make sense if they didn't mention it at all like last year. they did though and they announced stuff like flower, god of war and walking dead. so they clearly wanted to lever some of people's interest in ps4 to their other platforms, which is also why they spent 20 mins selling people all the ps3 games out this year too.

Bend would have to staff up like fucking crazy to work on a PS4 game. It's a ridiculous idea.

this is a very valid objection. especially combined with the hiring notice talking about vita. though they could be partnering with another studio like sony santa monica and ready at dawn are for the order 1886.

Golden Abyss felt like the made-for-TV Uncharted and was more than boring, so I hope not. Naughty Dog is a two-team studio now and we still have no idea what the Uncharted 3 team is doing, so I'm hoping they are the ones working on U4.

I don't think there's much point in doing another Uncharted unless it's going to be spectacular.

By spectacular, I mean something big, like an open world game or something non-linear. The Uncharted franchise is one of my personal favourites, but I feel like it can be better this generation, rather than more of the same.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Colin Moriarity asked Shuhei Yoshida about Bend on the Beyond podcast.

Shuhei said something along the lines of:

They're doing something very interesting... let's just say it plays to their strengths.
That doesn't sound like SF to me. That could be anything, including even uncharted.

Top Bottom