• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft 360 saves won't transfer to Xbox One

Shahed

Didn't come up in search

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...t-transfer-to-xbox-one-edition-microsoft-says

Seems saves won't carry over, but they're gonna expand on the content you get. I wonder if existing owners will get a discount on the new version?

Microsoft has said that you won't be able to transfer your Minecraft save files from the game's Xbox 360 version to the just-announced Xbox One Edition.

The confirmation came from Microsoft Studios boss Phil Spencer, who blamed the fact that the Xbox One Edition was simply "a new product".

"No, it's a new product on Xbox One," Spencer told OXM. "We're actually updating it in pretty significant ways for the new platform. Bigger worlds, which don't translate between the Xbox 360 and the Xbox One."

4J Studios has confirmed that the Xbox 360 edition will continue to be updated after the Xbox One version is released, however.

ToxicAdam

makes sense tbh.

No offense to the OP, but when you engage with closed platforms, you need to expect things like this.

GavinGT

Banned
The Xbox One version has bigger worlds, so I'm sure the saves aren't compatible. Besides, I don't think many really expect saves to transfer between generations and games.

Alpende

IIRC I saw a news post that the MS 360 devs are working on a way to transfer the saves.

But this does give people a reason to start over, I guess.

Aaron

makes sense tbh.

No offense to the OP, but when you engage with closed platforms, you need to expect things like this.
On the PC, all saves going forward have been compatible, and I'm sure they've had much greater changes between 360 and One editions. It's Microsoft once again not understanding what's important to their audience.

Feorax

I imagine a lot of people who are really invested in their worlds will stick to the 360 version for a while.

Crazy that the game initially releases this close to the end of the generation and there is no transfer facility.

BibiMaghoo

Mindblowing that they are releasing it at all. People have moved on. I can see only the most hardcore fans of minecraft even bothering on a new platform, especially if they need to start from scratch and buy the game again.

Alpha_eX

I'm sure the developers didn't intentionally block save compatibility, unlike the PC, saves are going one platform to another. I'm sure they are trying hard to find a way to convert the saves, though it's not easy going cross platform.

ZeroCoin

Surprising no one.

The world sizes being different make it at least partially a technical challenge. They could have come up with a way to add the missing parts of a world based on the original seed, but the development time for that probably isn't worth it.

Backwards compatibility.....you know the rest.

Dabanton

Mindblowing that they are releasing it at all. People have moved on. I can see only the most hardcore fans of minecraft even bothering on a new platform, especially if they need to start from scratch and buy the game again.

What people have moved on?

Mael

On the PC, all saves going forward have been compatible, and I'm sure they've had much greater changes between 360 and One editions. It's Microsoft once again not understanding what's important to their audience.

Huh you can use and upgrade your alpha save of Minecraft up to the latest one.
What can they add that makes the difference between not adventure mode => definitve 1.0 version?

Shahed

makes sense tbh.

Oh I don't have the game. Just caught my eye as my cousin plays it a lot and he'll be disappointed. And I was wondering about how real that technical limitation would be for the save files considering the PC version has changed quite a bit, and stuff like PS3-Vita Cross Save, although to be fair in the latter case it's different

ToxicAdam

Sorry, the PC is a wide open platform, where this has been the custom for almost 2 decades. Not the same kind of customs and rules apply in the console space.

You are right though, it SHOULD be the standard. But as with everything that seems to get done, it becomes a question of 'is the time invested worth the money'? The answer is probably no.

So what exactly is the appeal of this on One?

Apologies if this is off topic, but I'm still puzzled by this announcement. What's the hook to pull people away from the 360 version?

GavinGT

Banned
So what exactly is the appeal of this on One?

Apologies if this is off topic, but I'm still puzzled by this announcement. What's the hook to pull people away from the 360 version?

It's another platform on which to sell people Minecraft. Oh, and bigger worlds I guess (the 360 ones were painfully small).

The hardcore fans are playing it on PC. The Xbox versions are for kids. Also, people have not moved on.

BibiMaghoo

What people have moved on?

Over where I live it was a bit of a casual fad. All the kids wanted it because their mates were playing it, but most have turned back to call of duty. It didn't last long here.

The hardcore fans are playing it on PC. The Xbox versions are for kids.

True, but even the kids are getting bored of it as time moves on. Though obviously not everyone. I just think it is a little late to be pushing something that has had it's day on a new platform without even being able to transfer what you already made. It seems like to much effort for what most people will see as the same game they already own.

It's another platform on which to sell people Minecraft. Oh, and bigger worlds I guess (the 360 ones were painfully small).

Yeah, but dropping $500 bones to play this?

Bigger worlds could be a draw I guess, I've seen some vids of worlds built on PC and they are pretty damn impressive, but I really don't know how much a draw that really is. I mean it's still gangbusters on 360 and that's with the small worlds, seems it's not an issue for most people.

I don't know, maybe I'm just overly critical, but this was one announcement that didn't make a lick of sense to me, it's not going to push people to buy a One, at least in my opinion

GavinGT

Banned

Bigger worlds could be a draw I guess, I've seen some vids of worlds built on PC and they are pretty damn impressive, but I really don't know how much a draw that really is. I mean it's still gangbusters on 360 and that's with the small worlds, seems it's not an issue for most people.

I don't know, maybe I'm just overly critical, but this was one announcement that didn't make a lick of sense to me, it's not going to push people to buy a One, at least in my opinion

It won't, but I think it benefits MS to keep it as an Xbox exclusive. If they hadn't moneyhatted this, it would've gone to both next-gen platforms.

Feorax

It won't, but I think it benefits MS to keep it as an Xbox exclusive. If they hadn't moneyhatted this, it would've gone to both next-gen platforms.

I'm pretty sure it will be on PS4 soon enough anyway, Notch has been heavily hinting at it.

This will probably cause holy hell for a few LPers that use the 360 version right now.

Mael

It's not exclusive, they just did the dev for this.
they won't provide the versions for Nintendo or Sony but I don't think Notch would be against someone throwing money at him either.

Salaadin

I'm pretty sure it will be on PS4 soon enough anyway, Notch has been heavily hinting at it.

What hints? All that Im aware of are is the whole golden PS1 thing but thats just a thing Sony sent him.

Id love Minecraft with proper controller support. One of these days, Ill get around to attempting that on PC. but Id probably pick up the PS4 version if they do one.

GFEric

Banned
Maybe having to start over in Minecraft on the PC would be a big deal, but considering how tiny the map is on Xbox 360 I think a lot of people are looking forward to starting over and stretching their legs a bit.

Feorax

What hints? All that Im aware of are is the whole golden PS1 thing but thats just a thing Sony sent him.

Id love Minecraft with proper controller support. One of these days, Ill get around to attempting that on PC. but Id probably pick up the PS4 version if they do one.

He tweeted this the other day;

@notch: I can't comment on other consoles for Minecraft. I'm not sure I'm even allowed to say this. In totally unrelated news, patience is a virtue!

Cryptic as fuck :p

dejay

Banned
Why would existing owners get a discount?

Since the maps are so small, I don't think anybody is going to be that invested in their saved worlds. Starting from scratch is also the best time in the game.

It isn't a system seller, but for some it may be a tipping point. Titanfall may be a tipping point for others. There are lots of tipping points for different people - get enough tipping points and you get get more people choosing your console. Indie games are something that makes me more interested in the PS3 than anything else they've shown - even though I'll get both systems, that would have been my tipping point.

Feorax

Offtopicish

I wonder why Sony sent Notch hat golden PS1...Are they trying to get Minecraft on PS4?

Don't know if they want Minecraft specifically, I think they just want Mojang to put their stuff in general on PS4.

More likely there will be a Minecraft port in the next 6 to 12 months, and then their next game (scrolls?) will be PC/PS4 only (mabye Vita).

Salaadin

He tweeted this the other day;

@notch: I can't comment on other consoles for Minecraft. I'm not sure I'm even allowed to say this. In totally unrelated news, patience is a virtue!

Cryptic as fuck :p

Ahh, damn! That is cryptic but it does feel like hes hinting.

Thanks.

Akira_83

Banned

dont be daft

MC 360 was built with lots of limitations in mind in terms of world size, it wasnt unlimited like the PC was

so if this one has much larger or possibly infinite worlds i doubt its that easy to convert

or if it is, why dont you work at 4J studios?

Geniuzz

When they have already announced that there is NO BC with 360 library of games, nor with any of the peripherals, wired or wireles, then a Minecraft save file not coming over is not exactly surprising. Not to mention it's the least of my concerns tbh.

Caayn

If only MS had a cloud to upload those saves too....
Infinite power of the cloud can track 330,00 asteroids but it can't transfer your Minecraft save.
Because it isn't as simple as transfering the save file from system A to system B like you do with memory cards or USB sticks. you need a working algorithm that can correctly convert the save files.

Top Bottom