• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drive Club aiming for 60fps

Well Forza seems months ahead of this in terms of development.

What could possibly be holding it back from 60fps? It looks like shite. Compare to Forza which doesn't and was already 60fps.

Keep it in the oven.

Silky

Banned
Why do you need to aim for 60FPS? Isn't this a PS4 title?

Meh. The game doesn't really look too impressive for me to be interested. (Then again I'm not into Racing Sims.)

Soi-Fong

What could possibly be holding it back from 60fps? It looks like shite. Compare to Forza which doesn't and was already 60fps.

Keep it in the oven.

You guys do know that the E3 demo was Pre-alpha footage right?

m23

Keep it in the oven.

Drive Club is open world whereas Forza is closed circuits. Even Forza Horizon which was open world was down to 30 fps. It'll be very impressive if they manage 1080p at 60 fps in an open world racer.

Keep it in the oven.

No it doesn't.

Also, concept looks real fun with one group of drivers challenging another.

GlamFM

Banned
Drive Club is open world whereas Forza is closed circuits. Even Forza Horizon which was open world was down to 30 fps. It'll be very impressive if they manage 1080p at 60 fps in an open world racer.

Wait! Now I'm confused. Wasn't it recently confirmed that drive club actually isn't open world?

Considering the PS4s power, 60fps seems appropriate to create a pretty game given the hardware.

Just reduce the pop-in if possible.

Twinduct

35% Pre-alpha code.
Wonder how accurate that is, I mean how do you even measure that?
Looking forward to this though.

Zukuu

Banned
60 FPS for a fast shooter / racing game / fighting game goes without speaking. It's not a "feature" or "bonus" it's a prerequisite.

Drek

Keep it in the oven.

Evolution seems to build games a bit different from what most of the industry has adopted. Most studios do a vertical slice with a full featured single portion of the game and fill out from there. Evolution seems content to build horizontally, getting each part of the process in place as they go towards a known conclusion. They did this with Motorstorm which had huge visual leaps in it's various demo'ed forms prior to release and look to be doing it with DriveClub.

bud

i've looked at some of the e3 gameplay videos again, and it looks really generic.

it doesn't look like any of the pretty beautiful trailers they've shown so far.

lol. try harder

Check my post history, I am not trolling.

It genuinely doesn't look brilliant yet. Probably doesn't help they chose to demo their track on overcast weather setting.

You guys do know that the E3 demo was Pre-alpha footage right?

As I said, I think Forza is months ahead in development. Not that this will be shite forever.

No it doesn't.

Also, concept looks real fun with one group of drivers challenging another.

Meh, everyone is doing it. It's not differentiating.

ekim

Keep it in the oven.

DriveClub is open workd though iirc.

BHK3

Banned
35% Pre-alpha code.
Wonder how accurate that is, I mean how do you even measure that?
Looking forward to this though.

Evolution has a way. I think it was at gamescon or somewhere else where they showed a alpha for apocalypse and it said 40% or something and it looked absolutely terrible. Game comes out and it looks absolutely amazing.

Evolution seems to build games a bit different from what most of the industry has adopted. Most studios do a vertical slice with a full featured single portion of the game and fill out from there. Evolution seems content to build horizontally, getting each part of the process in place as they go towards a known conclusion. They did this with Motorstorm which had huge visual leaps in it's various demo'ed forms prior to release and look to be doing it with DriveClub.

Best response. And I have to agree, they generally do polish up quite a lot in the lead up to release. Hope it's the case here.

Hope they have some cool car customisation stuff though, becuase otherwise it seems like a pretty plain racing game.

otapnam

Keep it in the oven.

Not like drive Club isn't a new ip or anything. Or that Forza doesn't have day/night or weather. Yeah let's forget a few of the facts

Raymo

Drive club is NOT open world.

The first motor storm was a ton of fun for me and I played the hell out of it. I was also very pleased with the visuals especially after the early footage looked lackluster. I do not think evolution is going to disappoint.

Twinduct

'Amount of Power' and 'Dev Team' is not a 1:1 correlation. As someone already mentioned, the dev process IS completely different from team to team. We should also take into account the actual dev team working on it. By the current logic being applied we should be looking at every game released this gen and bastardize it for not looking like 'The last of us'.

Stronger performance can only bring you so far. It's about the actual way of using that performance that makes a difference.

Evolution has a way. I think it was at gamescon or somewhere else where they showed a alpha for apocalypse and it said 40% or something and it looked absolutely terrible. Game comes out and it looks absolutely amazing.

Yeah I actually remember that! And Apoc was a great looker! Just always curious on how that measurement is used. I mean clearly everyone who sees any footage from E3 for games not released or that's about to release would know it's pre-production code. Yet people would build complete factual (in their own mind) opinions about the final product. It's almost as if the percentile is more of a 'Of Course the game is not near completion and ofcourse we assume any sensible person would know this .. but just in case, here's another layer to make it easier'.

Bleh vertical slices destroyed the concept of pre-release :/

Duxxy3

I'm curious how old the E3 version is. If it's at 35% and it's a recent build then that is troubling.

Check my post history, I am not trolling.

It genuinely doesn't look brilliant yet. Probably doesn't help they chose to demo their track on overcast weather setting.
The E3 demo was terrible. GT6, on the other side of the room, looked almost better and it speaks much. And that's been the reaction of every single person I've talked about it at E3. Really disappointing.

Considering they're obviously taking inspiration from PGR, it doesn't surprise me that 30 was/is always an option. PGR2/3/4 were weren't exactly made terrible games because of the framerate, but it's a new gen and they're on a powerful new console, so there shouldn't be any reason not to aim for 60.

ElFly

They are months away from release. Targetting 60fps now seems wishful thinking.

Oh well, hope they make it.

ekim

Drive club is NOT open world.

The first motor storm was a ton of fun for me and I played the hell out of it. I was also very pleased with the visuals especially after the early footage looked lackluster. I do not think evolution is going to disappoint.

Not Open world? :(

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
I still think Evolution made a mistake with this game.

from name, to direction, I just don't see this game sticking....

Portugeezer

Gold Member
i've looked at some of the e3 gameplay videos again, and it looks really generic.

it doesn't look like any of the pretty beautiful trailers they've shown so far.

Direct feed or shitty cam off screen? The latter I suspect.

Galdelico

Alot of devs seem to be 'aiming to' at the moment (on all platforms). 1080p, 60fps, 60fps at 1080p...
Curious to see how many will actually deliver.

Raymo

Interest dropped to zero. There is another circuit base racer that will probably be better that I will play. Forza 5.

With that said, I don't think it is a single path per track like forza. I read that they give you a setting and roads weave and wind through the setting in different ways with different paths.

Maybe they should stop making demos, I remember the bad comments about the early Pacific Rift demo and being blown away by the final product, I'm glad I didn't skip the game based on my 1st impression, it's one of my all-time favourite off-road arcade racer. Didn't they even release a second patched up demo of PR?
But well, new gen and all that they pretty much had to offer a demo.

JoshHood

I still think Evolution made a mistake with this game.

from name, to direction, I just don't see this game sticking....
I kind of know what you mean actually - it just feels super generic, even compared to something like the new Need for Speed. It's literally just 'go and race then'. Just feels very basic.

Top Bottom