• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4 recent Dragon Quest games, none of them localized

I'm very saddened about this, why does Square Enix ignore the Dragon Quest fans on the west? Why most Nintendo be the one to localize their games while smaller companies like Atlus are able to bring a great amount of niche titles with fast localizations? I find it really weird since Dragon Quest is not a small franchise and they could really make it grow on the west if they tried.

e23w0c2.jpg

7S4oOdj.jpg

B1rRBM6.jpg

S96wWrp.jpg

I understand the situation behind Dragon Quest X since it's a MMO, although it may be localized now that it's on PC, but what about the other 3DS titles? Does Gaf think there's still a chance for these games?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I understand the situation behind Dragon Quest X since it's a MMO, although it may be localized now that it's on PC, but what about the other 3DS titles? Does Gaf think there's still a chance for these games?

I would be quite surprised at DQM or Slime Mori Mori at this point.

DQVII is still plausible.

Celegus

As long as we get DQ VII... just gotta hold out hope. It sure took long enough for Bravely Default, so I wouldn't rule it out yet.

Pyrrhus

There just aren't enough people buying the games for their tastes. They're happier having former-Eidos make Western games and hoping for a jackpot than doing little projects like this.

I still have reasonable hope for X and VII.

The lack of Slime Mori Mori in America upsets me.

The DS game was so charming.
From what I've heard the 3rd game wasn't nearly as good. You should really play the GBA original if you haven't yet, I personally liked it slightly more than Rocket Slime (which I also adored).

andymcc

Banned
just give me VII. though it's nice to have bravely default, and in an ideal world we would have both localized, i would have much rather got the english ver. of DQVII. :(

Why does DQX going PC make it more likely to be localized? The platform doesn't change the fact that it's a subscription-based MMO based on a franchise that hasn't really caught on outside of Japan.

SE have always been absolute bastards with localization. Remember Final Mix and FF international editions? Absolutely no excuse.

TreIII

Squeenix spent too much cash on the Tomb Raider budget.

That would be my guess!

But seriously, there's no excuse for why SE relies so much on Nintendo so much. If Atlus can manage their resources appropriately, why can't SE? They're only hurting themselves by not doing right by their own brands.

Cmagus

Sad because DQ8 and DQ9 really started getting the series going here and they have pretty much stopped any of that buzz.

The 3DS needs to hurry up and get hacked so groups can start working on unofficial translations of some of these big Japan-exclusive titles.

I also don't understand why Atlus, Xseed and NIS can localize niche games and make a profit, meanwhile SquareEnix refuses to bring many of its games.

They can keep X and Monsters, but not getting VII and SMM would be a total bummer. :I Can't say I ever expect to see the latter, but I still have hope for VII.

What happened to that Hori/Iwata partnership?
Possibly western DQ VI, Monsters [man, what a buncha] Jokers 2 & Fortune/Boom/Itadiki Street too (it felt like the DQ games sold worse than the Square-Enix published DS ones...). I thought the relationship was "I'll make DQ a success in the West." when it turned out as "DQ IX did pretty neat."

Aeana

Those games simply do not sell in the west. JRPG in general have taken a nose dive in sales, and quality, this generation.

You could have said this if DQ9 weren't a pretty great success. It sold over a million between NA and Europe, which is dramatically more than most other non-Nintendo Japanese RPG series.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I firmly believe that DQVII is coming, also considering how Nintendo reiterated their policy, saying they will help bringing Japanese titles with sales potential here too...and DQVII has some potential. DQX was sort-of-leaked some time ago due to the Amazon.fr listing, complete with PEGI rating.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I'm possibly in a minority here, but I don't really care about the other titles, but I really, really, really want Rocket Slime to be released here! The DS one was so fun...

Possibly western DQ VI, Monsters [man, what a buncha] Jokers 2 & Fortune/Boom/Itadiki Street too (it felt like the DQ games sold worse than the Square-Enix published DS ones...). I thought the relationship was "I'll make DQ a success in the West." when it turned out as "DQ IX did pretty neat."
And yet Atlus, XSEED at others continue to consistantly release similar (or even more niche) software with seemingly no issue.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Yeah it sucks. DQ9 sold pretty well didn't it?

Man I usually wouldn't be the one to say this, but the covers of those games would look a lot better without the title.

WolvenOne

VII I think will come out. It'll probably be localized by Nintendo, and if I had to guess, the delay is a result of Nintendo's translation team being largely tapped out.

I mean, between bravely default, pokemon x/y, and link to the past 2, they probably have their hands full.

Dragon Quest is an important property to Nintendo, especially in Japan. They're going to do what they can to maintain the relationship with Square Enix, to maximize the possibility of future games staying on Nintendo platforms.

I'm buying a Japanese 3DS if DQVII never gets localised. No way I'm missing out on that remake.
You could have said this if DQ9 weren't a pretty great success. It sold over a million between NA and Europe, which is dramatically more than most other non-Nintendo Japanese RPG series.
Yeah and DQVIII sold about as well too. At the very least the newer games are doing very well. It's the remakes and spin-offs that aren't lighting up the charts which is why I am so pessimistic regarding DQVIIr.

Tadale

Yeah it sucks. DQ9 sold pretty well didn't it?

Man I usually wouldn't be the one to say this, but the covers of those games would look a lot better without the title.

I've said this before on here, but I think the key is that it didn't sell what Nintendo expected. There was a big marketing push behind that release, and I've seen plenty of deep discounted copies in bins over the last couple of years.

But if they're willing to release Bravely Default, why not DQVII at least?

EDIT: And what did DQVI sell? I'm thinking that was a bomb.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's mainly Joker 2's fault that we won't see any of the side games published by Nintendo.

VII only came out a few months ago and will likely be picked up by Nintendo and released sometime next year.

X is the one that could go either way.

Squeenix spent too much cash on the Tomb Raider budget.
I suspect this isn't serious but you never know. In any event.

1. Tomb Raider didn't lose them money
2. The thought that this (or any other Eidos stuff) has any real impact on the fate of DQVII is ridiculous. If Square thought it was worth bringing over they would do it (personally I would love to see them do it). I think the softer sales of DQ5 and 6 on DS in North America has probably cooled their jets on bringing DQ ports over, but there is definitely still hope.

Top Bottom