• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: PS4/Xbox One versions, weather system, monsters & more

Can't wait for this.
There's more here: http://gamingbolt.com/the-witcher-3...-versions-weather-system-monsters-and-dragons

Talking about the engine
Leonid Melikhov: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt does look pretty good. Obviously what we have seen is the alpha footage and so I have a few concerns, like there were times where the frame rate was not stable.

Jonas Mattson: Yes, that was alpha footage. As we are going to release it in 2014 so we have all this time to truly polish all the loose ends. Right now we are focused more on the quality of the game and as usual in any development scenario you focus on optimization and we have pretty cool stuff to help with this i.e. Umbra. I won’t get too technical but it allows us to hide things that the player doesn't see automatically. We have this feature in our engine and it will be further optimized to improve performance.

Discussing PC version and console development
Leonid Melikhov: Is PC the lead platform for Witcher 3?

Jonas Mattson: We are targeting all high end platforms, so the Xbox One, PS4 and obviously the PC. We won’t absolutely forget our roots, absolutely not (referring to the PC).

Leonid Melikhov: So will the PC version be ported to the consoles?

Jonas Mattson: Right now what you see is running on the PC but we have development kits (for next gen consoles) so we are aiming to have an equally high quality experience with all the platforms. As you know the specs of next generation platforms, it really allows us not to hold anything back. When we were working on The Witcher 2 on the Xbox 360, it was…

Leonid Melikhov: Problematic?

Jonas Mattson: Not problematic, but we had to do a lot of work to get it running on a current gen console. But really, this time we can push the limits and hold nothing back.

PS4's RAM
Leonid Melikhov: Do you feel you guys will be able to push the game a bit more on the PS4 given that it has 8GB GDDR 5 compared to 8GB DDR3 on the Xbox One?

Jonas Mattson: As you are aware am an environmental artist but we have talked about this in the office. I don’t think we are taking too much advantage of it. But as I said I am entirely not sure about this as I deal with making the world pretty.

The monsters
Leonid Melikhov: It probably depends on where the player is currently located in the world…

Jonas Mattson: Oh yes. There are monsters in the game where you won’t simply find running around in the wild. The fiend that you saw earlier, it feels comfortable in its own territory, so the player needs to lure it out. Our monsters in the game act differently and take in to consideration where it is and they behave accordingly.

Leonid Melikhov: Are we going to see any Dragons?

Jonas Mattson: (Laughs) I don’t want to spoil anything so am I not going to say anything about that.

Leonid Melikhov: Tell us a bit more about the different creatures in the game.

Jonas Mattson: There are 80 creatures in the game and of course you have the wild life like rabbits, deer and bears.

Leonid Melikhov: Can you kill them?

Jonas Mattson: Yes you can kill them.

Leonid Melikhov: Are they useful for anything or they just make the world look pretty?

Jonas Mattson: Of course, each of them has a different use. The player can invest hours in to hunting and sell them to the villagers. The fiend, I mentioned before, it basically does not stay in one territory, it goes out to hunt. So the player might come across it, so even when you’re hunting you might become the hunted. You have all this monsters like werewolves, so we are really populating this open world as much as we can.

The game is a mature title
Leonid Melikhov: What about the gore in the game? I remember playing Witcher 2 where I was able to cut off limbs. Can the player do the same in The Witcher 3?

Jonas Mattson: There are certain times where the game is a bit gory. Currently we cannot cut off limbs; we might do it later on. But we don’t hold anything back to due to the ratings. This is a game for adults and for people who can handle violence, gore and intimate relationships. We are not changing our attitude.

Leonid Melikhov: That won’t be Witcher if you do…

Jonas Mattson: Exactly! The Witcher world is dark fantasy world and it is about delivering this experience and we are not going to change that. I can’t see us change that and we are not going to change it. This is what we are as a studio, this is what we do, we do mature role playing games and we are going to continue to do that.

m23

I haven't played the original, but friends pressured me into playing Witcher 2. I am grateful to them for that to this day. Can't wait for this.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
what about the nvidia wolf fur? will it be on consoles?

Jonas Mattson: Right now what you see is running on the PC but we have development kits (for next gen consoles) so we are aiming to have an equally high quality experience with all the platforms.

so the video at Xbox One press conf was actually the PC version?

patapuf

The high level monsters roaming is great. The wildlife being a danger while hunting makes it that much more interesting.

Leonid Melikhov: Do you feel you guys will be able to push the game a bit more on the PS4 given that it has 8GB GDDR 5 compared to 8GB DDR3 on the Xbox One?

Jonas Mattson: As you are aware am an environmental artist but we have talked about this in the office. I don’t think we are taking too much advantage of it. But as I said I am entirely not sure about this as I deal with making the world pretty.

Considering CDPR were on-stage during the Microsoft conference it's hard to know whether this comment is misleading and they are making use of the better hardware, or whether the disparity between the two consoles will result in the extra oomph of the PS4 not being utilised in any significant way for most multi-platforms.

These questions must be a pain in the ass to traverse when you're trying to satiate both sides.

Jack cw

Currently playing Witcher 2 for the third time and it still holds up very well. Probably the best western rpg ever made. Wild Hunt and it's open world is everything Skyrim wanted to be. Ps4 version for me :D

Binabik15

Werewolves? But will there be Werewolf
vigilantes
?!

I'll get this game, the only thing I need to know whether PS4 or PC, and, if PC, I have to upgrade my 4 gigs of RAM. Oh, and if my 7870 will run all the bells and whistles that they can add on AMD GPUs for the consoles.

Spongebob

Banned

Uh oh...

what about the nvidia wolf fur? will it be on consoles?

so the video at Xbox One press conf was actually the PC version?

I don't see why not.
The fur runs on the APEX Physx not the regular Physx which requires CUDA so it will technically work on consoles (assuming that they have the performance overhead to spare).

ihVFM5W.png

https://developer.nvidia.com/apex

Can't wait for this game.

UGH!!!! Not happy

Massa

The Witcher 3 is coming to PS4?

Holy shit, what exclusives does Microsoft actually have?

Titanfall is a timed exclusive.

Dead Rising 3 is being co-developed with Capcom so probably will stay exclusive.

Below is another one.

That and all the first party stuff.

Apath

I hate how PR speak can't give straight forward answers to certain questions.
The Witcher 3 is coming to PS4?

Holy shit, what exclusives does Microsoft actually have?

The only 3rd party exclusives I can think of are Dead Rising, Titanfall, and Sunset Overdrive (I think that's the name?).

EDIT: Actually, are there any 3rd party exclusive games for the PS4? All I can think of is The Witness, but I'm not sure how long of a timed exclusive that is.

I can't express through words how much I want this game.

I'm worried about the impact of the player's choices in TW2 though, after being burned by the Mass Effect trilogy I'm worried that the same will happen here and that even the big decisions wont have much consequence in TW3.

Titanfall is a timed exclusive.

Dead Rising 3 is being co-developed with Capcom so probably will stay exclusive.

Below is another one.

That and all the first party stuff.

Dead Rising 3 and Below are not for certain exclusives. Capcom retains the rights to DR3, they could easily release a "Off The Record" DR3 for PS4 and PC if they wanted to.

"Below" will probably be released for PC. In fact I bet a nickel that it will be released for PC in the future

Considering CDPR were on-stage during the Microsoft conference it's hard to know whether this comment is misleading and they are making use of the better hardware, or whether the disparity between the two consoles will result in the extra oomph of the PS4 not being utilised in any significant way for most multi-platforms.

These questions must be a pain in the ass to traverse when you're trying to satiate both sides.

Also keep in mind that most of these 1st year games will not be much different from each other. We really will not see the power of the PS4 til a few years down the road I am thinking.

Sentenza

Based on the amount of enhancements and mods the PC version got, that is the platform to buy Witcher 3 on anyway.
A large open world RPG shipping with RedKit mod tools from start.
There is no scenario where the PC version is not going to be the one to pick if you have that option.

I finished my 2nd Witcher 2 play through last night, EE version and did almost all of the quests and saw a completely different path from my 1st time. So right now I'm so hyped for Witcher 3 I wish it were a launch title.

Pro

I haven't played the original, but friends pressured me into playing Witcher 2. I am grateful to them for that to this day. Can't wait for this.

From everything I've heard don't bother with part 1. In fact I tried it out for approximately 5 minutes the other day and said "Nope". Its point and click battle system is really not desirable in any way. And trying it out with a game pad makes it even more convoluted.

That being said, Witcher 2 is amazing and a must play.

Witcher 3 looks to blow all of these out of the water and I can't wait. PS4, XBOne, PC, whatever just play a great game.

Kinyou

Can't tell if the RAM thing is a dodge given they showcased Witcher 3 at MS conference. Seems innocent enough.
I don't think MS and CD project are working that close together. They didn't even know that poland wasn't one of the supported launch region (well now that has changed anyway)

Don't expect multiplatform developers to take advantage of PS4 in the beginning. Just a note to the people getting happy about that. Ugh.

Sentenza

From everything I've heard don't bother with part 1. In fact I tried it out for approximately 5 minutes the other day and said "Nope". Its point and click battle system is really not desirable in any way.
That's a bullshit argument. Being "point and click" is not what makes it bad.

Both Sunset Overdrive and Dead Rising are first party.

It's true that Microsoft is publishing Sunset Overdrive and Dead Rising 3 but the rights of both games belong to Insomniac (S.O.) and Capcom (DR3). Depending on whatever publishing arrangement happens we could end up in an "Alan Wake" (for PC) or Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge (Nintendo published it in North America) type situation

Daingurse

I don't need to know a goddamn thing more about this game. Witcher 3 was an instant buy the moment I finished Witcher 2.

GodofWine

I like to see people read into a statement like"I don't think we are taking too much advantage of it".

That's a synonym to "I think we are taking a little advantage of it" and " I have no f-ing idea"

Top Bottom