• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did I not know about the upcoming SMT/Fire Emblem Crossover on Wii U?

injurai

Banned
My interest in the Wii U just really peaked. Other things have caught my eye, but nothing that would merit an investment with other thing to distract me... But this game... I may need it.

Darryl

Banned
they didn't bring it up at E3 i don't think. it was just mentioned in a nintendo direct. it's a pretty weird title for sure. it'll be interesting to see some gameplay footage.

GooeyHeat

Probably because it hasn't been mentioned since the teaser trailer said it exists.

Still a good thing to keep an eye on for when we get more info, though.

ohlawd

The reveal is awful honestly. Coulda shown like 1 second of gameplay.

I can't wait to waifu Chiaki though. Dat denim outfit, I wanna be in that.

ksamedi

They will prbably put in some extra effort after the success of Awakening. It coult become a pretty big IP for them if they handle it correctly.

GSR

'Cause it looks like it was announced pretty much as soon as the ink was dry. Game's probably nowhere near presentable yet.

Shauni

I don't know much about Fire Emblem, but I've always liked the aesthetic and games of SMT. I'm curious, at least.

Tenki

I remember reading that Nintendo wanted a Fire Emblem with a modern day setting, so they went to ATLUS and SMTxFE came up.

injurai

Banned
Yeah, we'll have to see what the game ends up being all about. I wonder if it's like Fire Emblem battlefields with SMT like encounters or something. I've enjoyed the FE/Wars series, and SMT is one of my favorite rpg franchises.

I bet it will look beautiful on the Wii U, if the new 3DS entries to those series didn't already look great.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Probably because they didn't reveal much beyond the teaser that barely teased anything but the title.

Shauni

Yeah, we'll have to see what the game ends up being all about. I wonder if it's like Fire Emblem battlefields with SMT like encounters or something. I've enjoyed the FE/Wars series, and SMT is one of my favorite rpg franchises.

I bet it will look beautiful on the Wii U, if the new 3DS entries to those series didn't already look great.

Have they ever done a Tensei game with tactical elements like FE? With the amount of spinoffs, I assume they have to have at one point, but I'm coming up with a blank. If not, I bet that's exactly what we'll get, breaking some new ground.

Dresden

Have they ever done a Tensei game with tactical elements like FE? With the amount of spinoffs, I assume they have to have at one point, but I'm coming up with a blank. If not, I bet that's exactly what we'll get, breaking some new ground.

Well, Devil Survivor.

Majin Tensei was actually really similar to Fire Emblem. Devil Survivor includes the grid based battlefield, but the battles are more typical-SMT.

Eusis

Yeah, the lack of any actual gameplay or anything beside that announcement is why you probably didn't hear about it. There simply isn't anything TO talk about except yes it's coming, and hopefully the Index troubles won't affect it.

Shauni

Never played it. One of the handheld series?

EDIT: In regards to Devil Summoner. Not sure on Majin, either...

Never played it. One of the handheld series?

EDIT: In regards to Devil Summoner. Not sure on Majin, either...

Majin Tensei was on the Super Famicom and Devil Survivor is on the DS/3DS.

Majin Tensei
Majin%20Tensei%20II%20-%20Spiral%20Nemesis%20(J).png
majin-tensei_02.png
57238-majin-tensei-snes-screenshot-automatic-battles.gif

Devil Survivor

Shauni

Majin Tensei was on the Super Famicom and Devil Survivor is on the DS/3DS.

Majin Tensei
Majin%20Tensei%20II%20-%20Spiral%20Nemesis%20(J).png
majin-tensei_02.png
57238-majin-tensei-snes-screenshot-automatic-battles.gif

Devil Survivor

Ah, I see. Not played any of the handheld or older series. Mostly the PS2 era. My introduction was the Digital Devil Saga, then Persona.

In addition to Majin Tensei and the Devil Survivors, there's also Ronde on Saturn.

Ah, I see. Not played any of the handheld or older series. Mostly the PS2 era. My introduction was the Digital Devil Saga, then Persona.

I've never actually played a Devil Survivor game. Maybe I should look into it.

I highly recommend them. The games are actually really deep and the fusion of the grid-based battlefield with the turn-based combat is really cool. The story in the first one was fantastic, as well. The 3DS version of the first game has some extra content and there's a 3DS version of its sequel that's coming out in Japan later this year (assuming nothing too bad happens with the current Index legal situation right now).

Why am I just finding out that its a WiiU title.. I thought it was for 3DS. Man, this just makes everything else better.

Because you haven't been paying attention and it hasn't gotten much coverage. Also, the word is 'piqued'.

The reveal is awful honestly. Coulda shown like 1 second of gameplay.

I can't wait to waifu Chiaki though. Dat denim outfit, I wanna be in that.

One game. You can marry characters in one game in the entire series. It's now become an expectation for the rest of the series?

injurai

Banned
Because you haven't been paying attention and it hasn't gotten much coverage. Also, the word is 'piqued'.

You would be right in any other instance. I was using the world peaked in the same since as apexed, or describing the pinnacle of my interest thus far.

Even though its not strictly SMT, Persona 3 and 4 having the dating thing (and being the most popular Atlus games) as well as this being the biggest FE in the west have attached some expectations to a crossover between the two.

I personally don't care as long as there is some kind of unique dialog between characters through some kind of system. I don't need to necessarily date/Mary characters, I just like those kinds of systems because they add a nice roleplaying feel to games.

Just based on the reveal trailer, which isn't much to go on, I really think they're going to keep the Persona elements out of the game. If anything, I'd expect to see a big focus on an alignment system and a potential demon negotiation system instead of something like a dating system, tbh.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I've never actually played a Devil Survivor game. Maybe I should look into it.

The first one is all around great. The second one has some improvements to the gameplay but the story is nowhere near as good.

Mariolee

So as someone who hasn't played an SMT game in their life and has sparingly played Fire Emblem, how does this make any sense storywise at all? The two series to my knowledge take place in entirely different time periods, no?

Dang0

The big reason you may not have noticed it is that it was overshadowed by all the other announcements at the January Direct (X, Yarn Yoshi, WWHD and so on).

Is this game being developed by IntSys or Atlus?

I believe its being co-developed.

CSX

So as someone who hasn't played an SMT game in their life and has sparingly played Fire Emblem, how does this make any sense storywise at all? The two series to my knowledge take place in entirely different time periods, no?

Like all crossover games, the story will be extremely bad for the sake of making a loose reason to why the two worlds meet.

For all we know it can be the devil summoners summoning FE characters instead of demons lol

I bought Fire Emblem Awakening on 3DS and loved it. If this is more of the same, I will not complain. That's all I really care about, really.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Like all crossover games, the story will be extremely bad for the sake of making a loose reason to why the two worlds meet.

For all we know it can be the devil summoners summoning FE characters instead of demons lol

Lol.
It's going to be about kids who received FE Awakening on their 3DS and summoning characters from it to battle demons isn't it?

Top Bottom