• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Great Indie games unique art styles

I've been getting sick of the pixelated "retro" style of indie games latley and is one of the reasons I'm not interested in Rogue Legacy. Does anybody know of some indie games that have really different, but beautiful art styles I could try out? Has to be available on PC.

GulAtiCa

I always enjoyed the "And Yet It Moves" looks by indie Broken Rules. I prefer the Wii version, but does have an original PC version. Music is also excellent.

and-yet-it-moves1.jpg

Hotline Miami (retro pixel, 80 vibe, super violent)
Bastion (hand drawn, colorfull, also look at their upcoming Transistor)
Atom Zombie Smasher (crazy zombies management crisis with a twist. Actually, severals twists... No, in fact, so many twist that just saying no word can make justice at how good this game is)
Osmos : elegent and simple action/reaction based concept of... stars or bacteria. You choose. Very relaxing to look and play
Splice : chromosone puzzle with smoooooooth colors. So relaxing to look at.
Botalinicula : sort of point and click style adventure about tiny bugs on a giant threes. Crazy art style and cute sounds.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Jamestown has spritework that is far from retro.

There are so many in the Indie Games Threads. Most of the ones I wanted to say have already been mentioned, but yeah Zeno Clash 2 is fucking amazing (my GOTY so far):

isbrhNmSqg4kq.gif

Don't want to spoil how insane it gets.

A little shout out to Kyle Gabler's art in World of Goo and Little Inferno:
0000005591.1920x1080.jpg

little-inferno-wii-u-eshop-1.jpg

Cloudface (play the pre-alpha)
ss2_1.gif

Closure
i6VaWT1j8SHcf.gif

closure530.jpg

Guacamelee (sorry, only PS3 right now)
iysnbokaI8P9u.gif

forest_07_thumb.jpg

Apotheon (in development, watch some gameplay)
ivtq2HrbJ3ptD.gif

Mirror Moon (in development)
ibm8FpoRKcOQ2k.gif

Memory of a Broken Dimension (in development)
mobd26.jpg

...But That Was [Yesterday]
btwy_screen5.jpg

Kater

Banned
Trine 2, Don't Starve, Little Inferno and Zeno Clash 1 & 2.
Edit: World of Goo. Completely forgot about that. Addicting and quite challenging game!

Top Bottom