• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dinner with your date, who pays the bill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maomaoIYP

I was having a discussion with a female friend and the topic came to paying the bill when you're on a dinner date.

My argument was that if you're both invested in the relationship and if your lady friend is a decent human being, I think they can take turns paying or just pay for their own share.

Her logic was that the man has to always pay for everything.

So which one is relevant in today's society? How do homosexual couples pay the bill?

Wads

Banned
Beginning, the guy should. After awhile though it's okay, but you don't want her to feel that you are cheap.

andymcc

Banned
I do usually. I earn more than my girlfriend. though there have been times where I've been strapped for cash or she's insisted.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I do, and I won't mind as long as the woman doesn't use some random excuse when the bill comes.

"I don't have cash!" SORRY"
*I proceed to pay with card.*

Celegus

My gf paid her share, I paid mine. Considering we were both incredibly poor college kids at the time, I really didn't have the funds for both of us on a frequent basis, and she wouldn't have wanted that anyway.

Married now, and it all comes out of the same account, which makes things easy.

Paganmoon

That's not very equal, is it?

I'd actually like to hear the logic behind those types of statements "always pay for everything" hmm...

But anyway, first dates/early dating period I suppose etiquette states guy pays?

Afrodium

Banned
I think it's expected for the guy to pay in the early phases, but once things start getting serious the girl had better start pitching in. Instant break-up material for me if she won't. I'm not going to the poor house for a woman.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I pay more often than not, but she pays probably 30% of the time.

This is more out of ease than chivalry or whatever.

Absolutely not, OP. Guy pays everytime unless it's birthday, or the girl insists due to special circumstances. Like the dude just got fired, etc.

Moff

wow, if the insists to degrade herself like that.
I'm glad I never met girls like that.

we alternate, sometimes share, we never calculate
same goes for groceries

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
In a committed relationship: take turns paying the bill. A bit easier than splitting and it all evens out in the end anyway.

On a date with someone new: split it. I don't care about tradition, I'm not old fashioned, etc. If it's an issue for her, well, seeya.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Depends on the level of commitment/closeness of the relationship. In casual dating and early relationships I believe western society still favors the male pay for the meal. My girlfriend and I have been dating for about a year and a half and we take turns paying for dinner.

In gay couples it would probably the top; lesbian couples maybe the more masculine partner? Better off having gay/bi GAF weigh in here than me making guesstimates.

So which one is relevant in today's society? How do homosexual couples pay the bill?
Well my boyfriend seemed to pay for me a lot when we started dating. We take turns paying, doesn't matter as we are happy together. Today is our one year anniversary since we met :)

I guess someone up there was saying the Top should pay (my bf), lol that's just silly talk. He puts his money in my bank account so spending it is all the same anyway. :)

maomaoIYP

I'd actually like to hear the logic behind those types of statements "always pay for everything" hmm...

But anyway, first dates/early dating period I suppose etiquette states guy pays?

That was what I told her, the funny thing is, she's already been dating for many years and has already been engaged to her boyfriend. Her logic was that there are certain rules that governs what a guy needs to do in a relationship, and paying for everything was apparently one of them.

Allforce

Wife: Want me to get his one?

Me: Nah I got it.

Next time...

Wife: Want me to get this one?

Me: Sure.

Repeat. Sex follows no matter the outcome.

"Feminists, they want everything equal except when the bill comes"!

(Probably messed up that quote haha).

Anyway, I think when you first start a relationship, or the initial date it should be Dutch. After that back and forth seems fine.

jond76

Banned
Dude pays until the relationship is serious enough to share or alternate. Paying for dinner, opening doors, etc is the equivalent of showing off your fancy feathers. You're trying to impress a potential mate, gotta "show off" a bit.

Pau

Guys are pretty adament about paying for the first date. I've offered every time and get shut down. :/ Oh well, I typically don't see them after that. (Umm, not because they didn't let me pay. For other reasons.)

I'm not in a relationship, but every time I go out to dinner with my sister, they think we're dating. (We look absolutely nothing alike, and we're only 15 months apart in age.)

Therefore, I always get handed the full check by default. So annoying.

TRios Zen

I've been out of the dating scene a LONG time, but back in the day, I always expected to pay. It was the cost of going out, no big deal.

That isn't to say that I didn't date some women who offered/paid on occasion, but I went out on dates with the expectation that I would cover expenses.

After sex though, it was much more 50-50. Haha - just kidding. Or am I...

Loomba

I split everything with my girlfriend 50/50. Even on our first date it was quite even, I paid for dinner and she got a few rounds of drinks after.

Even on Valentines Day we split it 50/50, she physically wouldn't let me pay for all of it.

Ephemeris

I do unless she insists.

Then I insist I got it.

But on that super rare occasion where she tries to out-insist, I let her decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom