• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4: 14 things we learned at Develop 2013

Dynoro

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2013/jul/15/ps4-develop-2013-playstation-sony

Here are selected quotes from the article (not all are new but it's a nice rundown):

The Guardian said:
1. Sony included developer input right from the start of R&D

So the basic structure of the machine's processor was built on third-party developer suggestions – which very much aligns with what Sony has been saying about listening to game makers.

2. PS4 was designed like an Atari coin-op game: easy to play…

Cerny reckons the time it'll take studios to start chucking polygons around the screen in a PS4 project will be one to two months – the same as PSone, and a big improvement on the six to 12 months it took on PS3.

3. … but difficult to master

In other words, the GPU can handle lots of other tasks apart from graphics rendering, including physics simulation, collision detection, ray-casting for audio and decompression – all allegedly with little impact on those polygon and effects calculations.

4. Making things simple for children

As Cerny explained, "As part of our design process we ended up making a giant controller, 50% larger than usual so that we could directly experience what it felt like being a child trying to play a game.

5. Making things simple for indies

Part of this is also supporting self-publishing and allowing business models such as free-to-play, episodic release and micro-transactions.

6. Designed to be a balanced system

More importantly, he says, it's a modern general purpose CPU, which means unlike the in-order processors of current consoles it uses out-of-order execution, executing instructions depending on when they are ready rather than in the order governed by the original programming.

7. This is the age of 'asynchronous compute'

Effectively then, within a single frame of the game's runtime, each of the GPU's 18 compute units can seamlessly switch between general computing and graphics tasks depending on what is most pressing.

8. DualShock has been redesigned for feel and responsiveness

There's reduced latency so the controls are more responsive and improved rumble with one small and one large motor ("both are 8bit controllable," says Brown).

9. PS4 features a new 'connected UX'

The live tiles can also immediately send the player to a specific mode, game save or challenge, without them having to go through the in-game menu options first.

10. Moving toward a real social network

Players can also immediately join a friend's multiplayer session from the PS4 main menu.

11. The Share button and how it works

Brown also says that developers will be able to add a selection of spectator commands that the game can dynamically respond to. For example, if the onscreen player is fighting an end-of-level boss, but is low on health, a spectator could click a Heal option to help them out.

12. Seamless Remote Play

PS4 remote play also supports a local multi-user lobby, so up to four players can connect to the same PS4 at once – and all saved games are bound to the user not the device.

13. Seamless companion apps

Meanwhile, the PlayStation App for iOS and Android devices allows you to browse friends lists, PSN options and the PlayStation Store as well as controlling your PS4; so you can tell it to start downloading a new game while you're on the bus home.

14. Instant access to downloads

Brown also claimed that you'll be able to log on to your digital games library from a friend's house and start playing immediately.

Lock if old and all that jazz

Nugg

As part of our design process we ended up making a giant controller, 50% larger than usual so that we could directly experience what it felt like being a child trying to play a game.

Alright, now here can I buy one?
I have huge hands :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
12. Seamless Remote Play

PS4 remote play also supports a local multi-user lobby, so up to four players can connect to the same PS4 at once – and all saved games are bound to the user not the device.

this is interesting and confusing?

TheChaos0

this is interesting and confusing?

I wonder what it exactly means, more than 1 Vita (device) can connect to PS4 for remote play? Sounds like it. And you can do local multiplayer... so instead of split screen? .. If so that's quite amazing.

Dynoro

I wonder what it exactly means, more than 1 Vita (device) can connect to PS4 for remote play? Sounds like it. And you can do local multiplayer... so instead of split screen? .. If so that's quite amazing.

Yeah; that's how I read it. For example you could have a single PS4 running and all 4 guys with Vitas all remote playing in BF4 at the same time (or two on the couch and 2 on Vitas).

DieH@rd

Banned
Things that were unknown untill now:

The live tiles can also immediately send the player to a specific mode, game save or challenge, without them having to go through the in-game menu options first.

10. Moving toward a real social network
Players can also immediately join a friend's multiplayer session from the PS4 main menu.
< although, this was seen in the official UI video, jumping directly into friends KZ:SF MP match

Brown also says that developers will be able to add a selection of spectator commands that the game can dynamically respond to. For example, if the onscreen player is fighting an end-of-level boss, but is low on health, a spectator could click a Heal option to help them out.

12. Seamless Remote Play
PS4 remote play also supports a local multi-user lobby, so up to four players can connect to the same PS4 at once &#8211; and all saved games are bound to the user not the device.

Yeah; that's how I read it. For example you could have a single PS4 running and all 4 guys with Vitas all remote playing in BF4 at the same time (or two on the couch and 2 on Vitas).
Depends on the game right? The ps4 will have to render basically 4 unique screen for 4 player. Kinda like the current splitscreen multiplayera

Dynoro

Depends on the game right? The ps4 will have to render basically 4 unique screen for 4 player. Kinda like the current splitscreen multiplayera

Good point; it would need to be for split screen games only. A screen with all 4 on at once would be way to crowded on a Vita.

smurfx

get some go again
Things that were unknown untill now:

hopefully some devs allow troll features depending on the game.

DieH@rd

Banned
I see nothing stopping them to beam one game stream that features couch coop game [no splitscreen!] to more than one Vita. Every vita will receive same stream, but PS4 can collect individual user commands from them and render next frame accordingly.

wapplew

What 12 means? 4 vita remote play, like playing diablo 3 on vita but everyone in the same screen or everyone have different screen?

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I see nothing stopping them to beam one game stream that features couch coop game [no splitscreen!] to more than one Vita. Every vita will receive same stream, but PS4 can collect individual user commands from them and render next frame accordingly.

Yes, but four Vitas in the same room? P- pah! Impossible!

KOHIPEET

If point 12 means what I think then Sony have just reinvented split-screen.

But can a ps4 render BF4 four times with no impact on graphics?

Vita's resolution is 960x540 so I think there has to be some kind of magic applied to do that.

Dynoro

Vita's resolution is 960x540 so I think there has to be some kind of magic applied to do that.

Bear in mind that the Vita's resolution is 1/4 of a 1080p display. So in theory the PS4 could split a 1080p feed of a 4 player split screen game into 4 equal sizes for Vita.

KOHIPEET

Bear in mind that the Vita's resolution is 1/4 of a 1080p display. So in theory the PS4 could split a 1080p feed of a 4 player split screen game into 4 equal sizes for Vita.

Yup, this is what I was thinking. 500.000 pixels vs. 2.000.000. Sure there won't be any memory issues either.

I think my Vita purchase just got way more solid.

That could be quite the feature, but first they'll have to sell more Vitas.

Darmik

What about the TV? Would they scale down the resolution there too or just completely turn it off? I don't think it would even be able to stream one 1080p resolution never mind streaming 4 seperate games on the Vita's native resolution.

I think it would have the potential for multiple Vita Remote Play multiplayer but next to no games will actually implement it.

DrDamn

This is an excellent little feature taken from the Vita OS.

Raonak

Banned

If the game has splitscreen already, then it would already be rendering the game multiple times. usually at a reduced resolution.

so theoritically, all splitscreen games could do this feature with no additional resources dedicated to it. Just that all screens would be rendered at the resolution the game is usually rendered at when splitscreening.

really cool feature if used.

Dynoro

What about the TV? Would they scale down the resolution there too or just completely turn it off? I don't think it would even be able to stream one 1080p resolution never mind streaming 4 seperate games on the Vita's native resolution.

I think it would have the potential for multiple Vita Remote Play multiplayer but next to no games will actually implement it.
This is the worry; I want to see if it'll be widely supported before getting overly excited

TheChaos0

If the game has splitscreen already, then it would already be rendering the game multiple times. usually at a reduced resolution.

so theoritically, all splitscreen games could do this feature with no additional resources dedicated to it. Just that all screens would be rendered at the resolution the game is usually rendered at when splitscreening.

really cool feature if used.

Even at reduced resolution (I think Vita would be impacted the lest by this), it would be quite incredible.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Yes but in normal remote play, the PS4 would be resizing the 1080p screen to vita res before sending. Chopping up a 1080p screen into four vita res screens might not take any longer, but it might need more memory, and it'd definitely need more bandwidth to stream.

Sounds good though,even if I just use it for multiplayer lego games without that weird splitscreen mode.

Dynoro

Yes but in normal remote play, the PS4 would be resizing the 1080p screen to vita res before sending. Chopping up a 1080p screen into four vita res screens might not take any longer, but it might need more memory, and it'd definitely need more bandwidth to stream.

Sounds good though,even if I just use it for multiplayer lego games without that weird splitscreen mode.

Memory might well be an issue; maybe the remote play uses part of the RAM that's gated off for the O/S to get around this? Bandwidth might be harder to solve unless they assume is always needs to send a full 1080p stream (I don't know about the technical limitations of this though).

whiteape

It doesn't work like that. You have 4 different Players, not just resolutions. So each player needs AI, physics, shaders etc. So the PS4 has to render the whole game 4 times. Look at PS3 4 player splitscreen games, they look terrible compared to singleplayermode.

Edit: Sorry, totally misunderstood you, so my post makes no sense.

Darhan

Impossible.

What I understand there, is that 4 people can log in in the same PS4 at once. So, after that, they can play in the same game, if the game supports it (same screen or split screen). Anyone can win trophies for their account and anyone can save the game, upload to the cloud and download to their own machines in their houses.

An example: Diablo 3. I have the game. My friend have the game too. I go to my friend's house and I log in their PS4 with my account. After that, I can play the game with my friend in co-op, with my created character, play level four, unlock one trophy and upgrade my character. After playing, I can go home, get that trophy I won in my friend's house and keep playing with my upgraded character in the level five.

DieH@rd

Banned
Lets not complicate things. This is gonna be used four couch coop games [like Guardian of Light, Outland, Diablo 3, etc] where game has to render every player on one screen. Everybody will get the same stream.

velociraptor

12. Seamless Remote Play

GAME CHANGER.

That sounds incredible.

As part of our design process we ended up making a giant controller, 50% larger than usual so that we could directly experience what it felt like being a child trying to play a game.

how big is the controller?

how big is the controller?

The new controller is slightly bigger although the distance between all the buttons and sticks are largely the same. The main difference is that the grips are larger and at a different handle.

x6eGcCf.jpg

Modern Warfare 2 did this.

I think he met for every game, seamlessly like the 360. Leaving this kind of basic stuff up to the developers is a mistake imo, there should be a unity of basic features available across all games, similar to Achievements and Trophies.

Good stuff.

The new controller is slightly bigger although the distance between all the buttons and sticks are largely the same. The main difference is that the grips are larger and at a different handle.

x6eGcCf.jpg

I disagree with all of that.

There's a clear difference in the distance between the sticks. The sticks themselves seem to sit deeper inside the unit. The D-pad is slightly bigger and the distances between the buttons is much greater than the DS3.

Look closer.

jiggles

Banned
This one stood out to me:

real names shown above characters in multiplayer sessions

I guess players that want to change their ID can change their "real name" value and set their privacy settings to show it in multiplayer.

I wonder will we be able to search by real name, though.

That connected UX thingy sounds like it could be really awesome.

Get a atitle on the OS saying someone beat your time I'm some game, click it and immediately start the same race.

Top Bottom