• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CW remakes THE TOMORROW PEOPLE (for the 3rd time)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KamenSenshi

Yeah I saw the trailer for this a while back and was annoyed that yet again we get a dark, gritty, annoying reboot. I liked the 90's version so I'm sure this one is definitely not for me.

Eric C

I only watched the 90s version that aired on Nickelodeon here in the US.

That CW preview... what happened to the island alien spaceship thing they all teleported to, in the 90s version? This new version when he's first being told he's a Tomorrow Person reminds me a bit of the Matrix.

I only watched the 90s version that aired on Nickelodeon here in the US.

That CW preview... what happened to the island alien spaceship thing they all teleported to? This new version when he's first being told he's a Tomorrow Person reminds me a bit of the Matrix.

Well he is the chosen one

Other than the teleportation stuff, I mostly remember a run of Tomorrow People (70s) from when I was a little kid. It was mostly about a school, and half of the kids wearing a blue button, and the other half wore a green button. It ended up that the kids were playing out some alien civil war, or something like that.

And didn't their powers change mid way through the series? Like, they originally needed to touch a special belt to teleport, but didn't need to do so later?

I remember liking the '90s Nick series a lot. Looking back, it was pretty cheesy and teleportation was a pretty easy get-out-of-jail card anytime one of them was put in danger.

I wonder if the new show will go with multi-episode serial arcs like the original.

massoluk

Banned
Hey, I kinda remember that show. I always thought the concept was nifty. People teleporting everywhere solving conspiracy.

Since we're talking, can we have Mission Top Secret remakes too (Australian kid show, google it)? Would be absolutely wonderful with today's smartphones.

AniHawk

loved the 90s version when i was a kid, but i haven't seen it since.

edit: saw about 4 minutes on youtube and OH MY THAT IS AWFUL

I LOVED this show.

I haven't watched any CW programming since...well, I can't even remember - maybe a few eps of Smallville - but this, I'll try out.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I remember watching this show on Nickelodeon and then years later not being able to find out the name for the longest time. All I remembered was a show where these kids teleported to an island with sand on it and then there were these tube like openings that they could go into.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
This is when TVtropes finds itself valuable

Artistic License - Biology: In "Hitler's Last Secret", John explains, straight faced, that "Genes are those body cells known as the DNA molecule." Which is about as biologically accurate as saying "Fribble fribble rhubarb, fribble fribble ploo," and only slightly better grammatically.

Funny Background Event: In the 90s series an old man is frequently seen taking his tortoise for a (leisurely) walk down the pavement. This is never commented on.

Humans Are White: Elizabeth was once forced to sit out their visit to a Human Alien planet because there weren't any black people on that world. A native asked her if she was from the same planet as the other Tomorrow People, then commented that there must be "an interesting variety of skin color" on Earth when she said yes.

Aww man. Why must they do this? I LOVED the 90s version. I watched again a few years ago and it still held up and filled me with nostalgia. Man those were the simple days.
The new show looks too clean. Everyone looks so perfect and clean. I hate that with shows these days. The kids in the 90s version looked like regular kids. Sigh....

gurudyne

Got a major nostalgia pang from the title alone. I was a 90's kid. Totally remember Christopher Lee as Rameses. And The Monsoon Man. And The Culex experiment. And those horrifying alien pods. Cheesy, but gave me nightmares.

Bums me out that I can't see the trailer, but judging by this thread, that might be a blessing. Sadly.

ryan13ts

I'm very iffy on this. The 90's tomorrow people was probably my favorite show as a kid and I'd watch it religiously and loved the cliff-hanger endings on each episode (even though no one else I know seems to remember this show)

I've got a feeling that this version is just going to shit all over my fond childhood memories of TTP.

MEGABYTE TELEPORT! Man I remember the 90s show. We got the original one, culex experiment, ramses one, and a weird alien something one. That's it.

I remember nickelodeon showing a preview of another episode that never aired over here or was a preview of something that was never made. Showed some kid teleporting in a high school gym. Even the teleportation looked different than the regular 90s version.

I thought it was pretty good. It definitely satisfies my craving for cool mindless sci-fi stuff.

I don't get that advanced AI supercomputer they have lurking down in an abandoned subway tunnel. Even with the characters teleporting everywhere I still don't buy into them installing that thing down there, let alone having the technological know-how to build it.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
I thought it was pretty good. It definitely satisfies my craving for cool mindless sci-fi stuff.

I don't get that advanced AI supercomputer they have lurking down in an abandoned subway tunnel. Even with the characters teleporting everywhere I still don't buy into them installing that thing down there, let alone having the technological know-how to build it.

I liked it. Reminds me of Jumper (movie) which I also liked. None of the characters annoyed me too much. I able to look past some plot oddness and just have fun with it.

The super computer I could do without though.

ShyGuy

Didn't know there was a thread on this...!

Anyway ep6 was ok, disappointed that they didn't really follow up on the end scene of the last episode though.

This one felt like a disjointed episode.

Joni

Robbie Amell seems even more succesfull at getting the ladies than his cousin Stephen:
Kara, Astrid and Irene.
. That last one is most noticeable when searching for her Shameless pics.

DedValve

Banned
Never heard anything about the tomorrow people, saw the trailer liked it at the beginning when I thought it was about schizophrenia but the moment we got into "chosen one" territory I'm out.

I may watch it but other than the plot which looks bad the problem is that a superhero tv series relies heavily on special effects and they almost always cut the budget later on in the series.

EDIT: Oh this is out already?

It always bugs me when they go on about them being a separate species. I think it may have a lot to do with the Magneto-like "homo superior" air about it.

Their inability to kill kinda irks me too. They portray it as if their new species is more humane than others due to this bizarre biological inability to kill, but at every damn turn they try and break it.

It is telling that the showrunners have to make the evil human organisation vastly more despicable in order to counter the douchebaggery of "the tomorrow people".

The show's moving to Mondays beginning March 17th.
And .... this is maybe the cheesiest way to get out that message (but it's kinda hilarious anyway):

Youtube message

He should've just shot her anyway. That'd make the message stick.

Joni

They'll need more nudity than that if they want to save their show. It seems to be working a bit though, considering the 0.5.

Joni

That was clearly a pre-finale episode. It seems the stakes have been set high and I love every part of it, except maybe the fact the founder let the traitor tomorrow people run.

The song is called Make Believe by The Burned. My Shazam couldn't even recognize the song, but it seems to be the original version.

Hmm so I'm assuming from the last few replies that it got better? I watched up to like episode 5 but couldn't really go much further. Got pretty bored.

garath

I really wanted to watch this show after catching the premiere over xmas break in a promoted CW "Tomorrow people first episode" thing. But it was already halfway through the season and the online episodes started with 5 or something. So no way to watch ep 2-4 without paying for it.

It still makes me mad.

I'll wait for it to show up on netflix.

shawnlreed

The show has definitely been enjoyable these last few episodes.
I hope it gets renewed, but it won't surprise me at all if it isn't.
Last night's episode could have been the season finale with the way it ended.
Jedikiah with Tomorrow Poeple powers does not give a fuck about force pushing cars with people in them.

Those fucking shit bag traitors. I hope someone tears them a new asshole
for essentially dooming billions to death to save their own worthless hides

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom