• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if I ask stupid questions, but to get my Megadrive hooked up, do I get the image through with these cables?

Console to scart->
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk...ga-master-system-1-rgb-av-scart-cable-tv-lead

Scart to BNC (from which I would split the audio)
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sony-pvm/sony-pvm-scart-converter-bnc

what about s-video, would this together with the above male Scart work?
Scart to Xrgb
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk...ive-converter-for-sale?tracking=5543fb4c077bb

Yup, those are the way to go.

For Svideo i don't think you need anything extra. The screen should have an S-video input as regular.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Does anyone know if a RGB modded NES outputs from the side composite port at the same time as the RGB?

You can wire the installation in such a way that you can have the option to toggle between the NESRGB and original composite, but I'm not sure of any way to get them both running at the same time.

Khaz

Reaching behind the big, bulky TV, leaning above all your shit, to try and plug a Scart cable that you can't even tell if it's in the right orientation, is not a pleasant experience.

Ha, ha,I actually read that wrong, lol. 300 is for premodded NES, while it's far less for separate parts.

A buddy just bought a console for 160€.

But yeah, expensive parts and a high difficulty mod. If you're not "wizard" level with a soldering iron it's worth it to pay someone for the work hours :D

TeaJay

I was wondering if I could do some retro streaming with my PVM. (I know absolutely nothing of the subject.) Could I just hook the capture device to the BNC input?

Borman

I was wondering if I could do some retro streaming with my PVM. (I know absolutely nothing of the subject.) Could I just hook the capture device to the BNC input?

The way I do it is I have the video going into my capture card, which has a passthrough output that I hook to my BVM. You would need a capture card that can do RGB though, which there are only a few (and not the cheap ones that you see in the US very often).

You could also split the signal from the console, with one going to the PVM and one going to a capture card, where you could use an upscaler or something to get HDMI to the capture card.

Or you could possibly use the outputs of the PVM, but you would still need an upscaler to get to HDMI for the capturing or a proper RGB capture card, same as the other solutions.

So basically, there are a lot of ways to do it. I like the capture card passthrough as Im not certain that the BVM passes through video when its not on, and more often than not my computer is already on so it just works easier, if that makes sense.

Mega

Banned
Reaching behind the big, bulky TV, leaning above all your shit, to try and plug a Scart cable that you can't even tell if it's in the right orientation, is not a pleasant experience.

FdHg36Xh.jpg

Check my setup. Looks messy, but I keep it as organized as possible. Still a bit daunting every time I go back there. Twisting BNC plugs in and out is very cramped and tough.

Not seen: the console scart cables connected to the BNC adapter in the pic, the adapter's audio plugs connected to Extron audio cables (row of black cables below the RGBS).

TeaJay

The way I do it is I have the video going into my capture card, which has a passthrough output that I hook to my BVM. You would need a capture card that can do RGB though, which there are only a few (and not the cheap ones that you see in the US very often).

You could also split the signal from the console, with one going to the PVM and one going to a capture card, where you could use an upscaler or something to get HDMI to the capture card.

Or you could possibly use the outputs of the PVM, but you would still need an upscaler to get to HDMI for the capturing or a proper RGB capture card, same as the other solutions.

So basically, there are a lot of ways to do it. I like the capture card passthrough as Im not certain that the BVM passes through video when its not on, and more often than not my computer is already on so it just works easier, if that makes sense.

Thanks for your input. It seems like it'll be quite difficult, at least compared to some of my friends who stream retro games. They're mostly using Elgato capture device and composite connections, whereas I have every console on RGB scart wired to my scart switch device and from there on to my PVM.

Can you give me some additional information on that passthrough capture card? How could I equip it in my situation?

Borman

Thanks for your input. It seems like it'll be quite difficult, at least compared to some of my friends who stream retro games. They're mostly using Elgato capture device and composite connections, whereas I have every console on RGB scart wired to my scart switch device and from there on to my PVM.

Can you give me some additional information on that passthrough capture card? How could I equip it in my situation?

It depends on your computer. I use an internal card, so I use the Micomsoft sc-512n1-l/dvi. Can handle 240pRGB right to 1080p60HDMI. It is awesome. The alternative is the X-Capture 1, which is basically the usb version of the card, but I dont have any experience with it.

TeaJay

It depends on your computer. I use an internal card, so I use the Micomsoft sc-512n1-l/dvi. Can handle 240pRGB right to 1080p60HDMI. It is awesome. The alternative is the X-Capture 1, which is basically the usb version of the card, but I dont have any experience with it.

What kind of connections would I need? If I assume correctly, I would have to run a cable from the switchbox to the capture card and then from the card to the PVM? Would the picture quality suffer from the loop?

Mega

Banned
Question
Where find a component cable / VGA for GameCube not too many expensive ?

There are no cheap Gamecube component cables. Only the official ones and they cost a ton because of the custom digital to analog chip directly on the cable that no third party has replicated yet.

Borman

What kind of connections would I need? If I assume correctly, I would have to run a cable from the switchbox to the capture card and then from the card to the PVM? Would the picture quality suffer from the loop?

It would depend on your setup and the cables you are using. You may need a sync stripper for the capture card, not sure how the PVM handles sync yet so I havent messed with it much. But that is the basic idea. Quality should be perfect, its just passing the video through :)

There are no cheap Gamecube component cables. Only the official ones and they cost a ton because of the custom digital to analog chip directly on the cable that no third party has replicated yet.

Other solutions are very nearly done, last I heard, but it likely wont be as easy as a cable in most cases.

Borman

I read about an internal mod a while ago. Have any links to what's on the way?

Take a look for the OZone HDMi board, its goal is to be used for multiple consoles which makes it neat. There are a few GC specific projects that Im forgetting too. Either way, it looks like solutions will come eventually, at last!

televator

SCART: Syndicat Français des Constructeurs d'Appareils Radio et Télévision

French Syndicate of Radio and Television Apparatus Engineers?

Mega

Banned
Take a look for the OZone HDMi board, its goal is to be used for multiple consoles which makes it neat. There are a few GC specific projects that Im forgetting too. Either way, it looks like solutions will come eventually, at last!

Thanks, I'll take a look. Any solution is welcome at this point. The component cable usually goes for around $250 and getting more desperate as time passes. I look for them every now and then and have to talk myself out of getting one, although that one's not too hard to put out of mind. It's a damn cable at console prices.

Galdelico

Thanks, I was eyeing that one but wasn't sure if it was junk from a shady seller. I'll give it a go.
He's not shady at all, don't worry. He gave me tons of useful informations about C-Sync RGB cables for the Saturn, when I stumbled upon a few problems with mine (which I bought from RetroGamingCables, btw) last summer. And on top of that, I found the cable I ended up buying from him noticeably better quality than RGC's one.

That said - according to the region of your DC and the kind of games you're gonna play the most - if you're looking for an easy, all-in-one solution, you may want an S-Video cable for you console, as there are several NTSC games that aren't compatible with RGB.

Rongolian

Banned
What's the current best option for SCART splitters? I have the 3 input Hama splitter but I could really use two extra inputs. From what I can tell the Bandridge splitters are no longer for sale?

Any help would be appreciated!

nateify

How difficult is the NESRGB to install for noobs? If I taught myself to solder with some kits could I tackle the NESRGB shortly thereafter?

How difficult is the NESRGB to install for noobs? If I taught myself to solder with some kits could I tackle the NESRGB shortly thereafter?

You could maybe get a cheap desolder bulb+wick and practice desoldering DIP chips with a worthless board or chip+board you put together yourself, but even with that you could ruin your PPU/NES. Using a desolder gun is recommended since it's a lot easier and a lot less stress on the board, but they're fairly pricey.

Huggers

I think as mods go it's quite tricky. I did my Saturn mod which required a bit of messing about and soldering but I wouldn't go near a NES mod. Too tricky

The only tricky bit of the NESRGB install is removing the PPU - which in itself is very simple. I'd say a PS2 modchip install is harder.

You could get a basic desolder "gun" or "tool" or whatever, or be smart about braid and a pump and get the job done.

If you haven't done any soldering projects, do not attempt the NES RGB mod :D

Start with a Megadrive region switcher or something similar.

Huggers

The only tricky bit of the NESRGB install is removing the PPU - which in itself is very simple. I'd say a PS2 modchip install is harder.

You could get a basic desolder "gun" or "tool" or whatever, or be smart about braid and a pump and get the job done.

Depends very much on your technical ability. I wouldn't go near it. Plus you need to start cutting the plastic etc. Easier for a lot of people to pay to get it done

Best to install in an AV Famicom - then you're not cutting any plastic!

Unless you want a palette switch... Which I didn't bother with for my friend's one. haha

Mega

Banned
He's not shady at all, don't worry. He gave me tons of useful informations about C-Sync RGB cables for the Saturn, when I stumbled upon a few problems with mine (which I bought from RetroGamingCables, btw) last summer. And on top of that, I found the cable I ended up buying from him noticeably better quality than RGC's one.

That said - according to the region of your DC and the kind of games you're gonna play the most - if you're looking for an easy, all-in-one solution, you may want an S-Video cable for you console, as there are several NTSC games that aren't compatible with RGB.

I went ahead and got it already but good to have extra assurance it's a quality cable. But I had no idea that RGB compatibility on a per game basis was a thing! I'll look into buying an s-video cable as backup. Thanks for the heads up.

What's the current best option for SCART splitters? I have the 3 input Hama splitter but I could really use two extra inputs. From what I can tell the Bandridge splitters are no longer for sale?

Any help would be appreciated!
You probably know this but just to avoid any bad purchases... You want a scart switch: plug multiple devices for one input display. A splitter is for your one connected device to output to multiple displays.

You can buy a few Hama switches and chain them together with little or no degradation. Probably the cheapest option. Or if you wanna burn through your money and sanity, do what I did and get an Extron. :D

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=187181916&postcount=11712

Mega

Banned
Do you need SCART>BNC adapters for each console?
No. Consoles>Scart Switch>Scart to BNC>PVM/BVM

He was asking about the Extron. Yes, you do need female scart>BNC breakout adapters for the Extron. And adapters with built-in LM1881 sync stripper if the consoles use composite sync or sync-on-luma because the Extron is picky about sync. And if you want audio switching (not necessary), you need to make or buy phoenix>RCA adapters to plug in the breakout adapter's RCA inputs.

It's costly (all the cables, not the Extron) but it's extremely versatile. When I was manually calibrating my new BVM with SNES 240p Suite, I had two other PVMs running the same program. I have 12 inputs (and already nearly used them all), and can output to 4 displays. Currently: 1 BVM with RGB, 8" PVM with RGB, 14" PVM with RGB, same 14" PVM with S-video.

I'm actually using one of the 12 inputs for a Hama scart switch for quickly plugging in stuff or as a temp solution since I need to get a few more breakout adapters to cover all the inputs. It's a bit odd to use a scart switch with a BNC matrix switch but I already had the Hama switch and its male scart>BNC breakout adapter from my previous console setup, so I figured I'd put it to use.

If you stick with S-Video for your entire setup, the Extron Mav S-video switch is a great option (cheap s-video cables).

Huggers

Ah right. I've never even heard of an Extron. Could I use an Extron to split an rgb scart signal to multiple monitors simultaneously?

Mega

Banned
Yeah. Select an input (NES, Genesis, etc), select one or more outputs (BVM, PVM, etc), press Enter. One game pops up across several monitors. It's neat.

If a console/input is hooked up for RGB, I obviously can't send it to the S-Video output and vice-versa. I have the one S-video output in place for Gamecube and possibly Dreamcast RGB-incompatible games.

I'm a little annoyed that it only has 4 outputs... the seller I bought it from erroneously advertised it as an Extron Crosspoint 128 (12 inputs, 8 outputs), but it was actually a 124. To his credit he was accommodating about a full refund return or a discount if kept, so I just kept it to avoid the shipping hassle.

Huggers

Yeah. Select an input (NES, Genesis, etc), select one or more outputs (BVM, PVM, etc), press Enter. One game pops up across several monitors. It's neat.

If a console/input is hooked up for RGB, I obviously can't send it to the S-Video output and vice-versa. I have the one S-video output in place for Gamecube and possibly Dreamcast RGB-incompatible games.

I'm a little annoyed that it only has 4 outputs... the seller I bought it from erroneously advertised it as an Extron Crosspoint 128 (12 inputs, 8 outputs), but it was actually a 124. To his credit he was accommodating about a full refund return or a discount if kept, so I just kept it to avoid the shipping hassle.

So it's essentially an excellent Scart splitter. There's one on Ebay for 20 quid. I might grab it so I can capture whilst playing on my BVM more easily

So it's essentially an excellent Scart splitter. There's one on Ebay for 20 quid. I might grab it so I can capture whilst playing on my BVM more easily
*an excellent switcher that requires mad cables

I would consider it but don't have many systems and don't like to switch back and forth a lot. I stick to playing one game for a while.

Mega

Banned
Yes, it is an excellent switcher and splitter of both video and audio. I don't mean to dissuade you, but do your homework first. This was not cheap or trivial and I'm still not done. I have only one adapter with sync stripper, so I alternate it with PS1, N64 and PCE Duo-R. I also need a couple more regular adapters for a few more systems tied to the Hama on input 12.

Just thinking ahead... I don't know anything about capture devices, but how do you plan to send your console's audio to both your speakers and your capture device? The Extron has audio outputs for your equipment, but you need the RCA adapters and they're either a pain to make yourself or hard to find (and expensive).

The cheaper option to pair with the Extron may be to get some kind of audio splitter which you may already have. I had a passive mixer (1 audio out only) before I got the above audio adapters.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0032ANC8M/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I94FAE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Connecting a console with a Scart cable to the Extron requires this or a version with sync stripper for certain systems:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCART-to-4-...t-cable-for-Sony-PVM-by-RETRO-GAMING-CABLES-/
(No one makes straight console-to-BNC cables which would have mitigated costs and clutter...)

Can I see which model you're eyeing?

Conezays

Anyone know what's going on here? My Specialty AV-Component converter just arrived so I plugged it all in with the transcoder and component cables, etc. with my Saturn. When I turn it on the picture is completely blank (NTSC Saturn and NA CRT). Please help :(

Mega

Banned
Yeah audio was concerning me somewhat. I hadn't got that far yet. The one I'm looking at is http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291623101653?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

And yeah I already have the breakout cable for my BVM. What I ideally want is the ability to have 2 screens and a capture device all receiving the same signal

I'm not familiar with that one (seems the listing ended too). Looks like: one in, six out video splitter with no audio capability. I guess it'll do the trick, but it seems limited for the price and large size just to plug in one console. Regarding the adapter: most scart switches need a male scart > BNC breakout adapter. Since this adapter is going from your console's male-end scart cable, it should be female scart > BNC. Probably obvious but maybe worth mentioning.

Take a look at an Extron Crosspoint. You can get one for about the same price as the one you linked, with the only downside being that its bulkier from top to bottom but probably the same footprint. It has a lot more versatility. All the Crosspoints do the same thing and can handle composite, S-video, Component, RGBS, VGA/RGBHV. But newest to oldest model if it matters: Ultra, 450 Plus, 300 Series.

You may not use them, but check under the BNC connectors that it actually has the row of blue phoenix audio connectors (some don't). The buttons up front are always the same and not indicative of how many inputs/outputs you're getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom