• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be the same IF all 21 pins are connected throughout.

Some cables only connect the main lines (eg RGBLRC etc) so lines may be missing. But many cables are advertised as 'all 21 lines connected'.

This is the main thing to worry about, especially if you're buying cheap cables.

Really is bananas that these cables have 21 pins when only 8 are really used.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
This is the main thing to worry about, especially if you're buying cheap cables.

Really is bananas that these cables have 21 pins when only 8 are really used.
This brings the question : is there a way to check if you have a true RGB SCART cable? I'm asking because I recently found a stash of cables at my parent's, but I'm sure they bought the first ones they saw at the shop. Those are probably 15 year old cables, all of them in mint condition (lucky me).

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
It will be the same IF all 21 pins are connected throughout.

Some cables only connect the main lines (eg RGBLRC etc) so lines may be missing. But many cables are advertised as 'all 21 lines connected'.
Great, that's what I figured. Thank you!

Lettuce

Here's 720 vs 1080 on my 4K with otherwise identical settings on FM for SMB, zoomed right in to show the softness and a bit of ringing (imperfect phone camera shots):

Obviously some scaling differences, and while the 720 actually looks sharper here that's just because they're cropped from different sized photos because I was lazy.

It's really not that big a deal in practice for 240p stuff.

So many pixels...

Aaaaaand when did Ultraimg start adding watermarks ugh...

Love to see what CRT shaders for Retroarch look like on a4K TV

This brings the question : is there a way to check if you have a true RGB SCART cable? I'm asking because I recently found a stash of cables at my parent's, but I'm sure they bought the first ones they saw at the shop. Those are probably 15 year old cables, all of them in mint condition (lucky me).

Really you'll need to open the end up, bring up a pinout pic of a scart cable to compare, and ensure the correct pins are populated, rgb, grounds and sync at a minimum.

Update on my broken Toro:

Yossi from Behar Bros sent me a replacement cable which came today, connected it up and everything is hunky-dory. For anybody interested in getting one, be VERY careful with the Dreamcast-to-Toro AV cable, it's somewhat fragile.

Still very impressed with the unit, overall.

Peltz

Update on my broken Toro:

Yossi from Behar Bros sent me a replacement cable which came today, connected it up and everything is hunky-dory. For anybody interested in getting one, be VERY careful with the Dreamcast-to-Toro AV cable, it's somewhat fragile.

Still very impressed with the unit, overall.
My Toro broke as well. I think it's the cable.

I've been meaning to send it in to them for a fix. Thanks for reminding me.

NP, seems to be common issue. It took like a week from shipping til it arrived for me in the US. Quick, considering the wait for the original unit was like 4 weeks.

So got my Wii, got component cables, and it looks so nice. Never played 480p stuff much.

I also seen transcoders that let you go from component to SCART, with a built in scanliner.

So my question is: Is there any reason one would want scanlines in 480? Does it look better? I don't think 480i ever had them on CRTs.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So got my Wii, got component cables, and it looks so nice. Never played 480p stuff much.

I also seen transcoders that let you go from component to SCART, with a built in scanliner.

So my question is: Is there any reason one would want scanlines in 480? Does it look better? I don't think 480i ever had them on CRTs.

If you're that weirdo from before who plays the 2016 Doom with scanlines, it's a great feature.

On the real, though, the use there is if you're playing an old game that was originally 240p... like something on Virtual Console, and you want the ability to throw in scanlines.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
XjGBU6sl.jpg

Checked out a new thrift store today. Nothing stood out, but man am I having a hard time grappling with choosing between a modern-ish tv with a bunch of inputs or a retro wood-paneled set instead.

Ramune

XjGBU6sl.jpg

Checked out a new thrift store today. Nothing stood out, but man am I having a hard time grappling with choosing between a modern-ish tv with a bunch of inputs or a retro wood-paneled set instead.

Quite a thrift shop! If only people here would take their old TVs and donate them instead of leaving them outside for them to rot. Also feel like a dog that wants to sniff the back of each and every one of those displays and see what inputs they got...

Peltz

XjGBU6sl.jpg

Gorgeous shot. I think I have a CRT fetish at this point.

I get excited whenever I see one, even if it only takes rf

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Quite a thrift shop! If only people here would take their old TVs and donate them instead of leaving them outside for them to rot. Also feel like a dog that wants to sniff the back of each and every one of those displays and see what inputs they got...

I spun around as many I could to look at inputs for sure.

I saw a nice set abandoned on the side of the road the other day but it had rained recently so it was likely ruined.

The thrift store also had this beast.

hzYXaRAl.jpg

Lettuce

I saw a nice set abandoned on the side of the road the other day but it had rained recently so it was likely ruined.

hzYXaRAl.jpg

As long as the set it dried out thoroughly then it should still work

If you're that weirdo from before who plays the 2016 Doom with scanlines, it's a great feature.

On the real, though, the use there is if you're playing an old game that was originally 240p... like something on Virtual Console, and you want the ability to throw in scanlines.

Lol I guess it'll be for VC games then. Is the VC store still up on Wii? I never had one until now.

Mega

Banned
Legit thought this was Mega's bedroom before I read the full post.

That pic has a few more than what I own. :D

For a very brief moment I thought it was my room too

Here's 720 vs 1080 on my 4K with otherwise identical settings on FM for SMB, zoomed right in to show the softness and a bit of ringing (imperfect phone camera shots):

Maybe it's not bad and 4K TV's are using something better than bilinear filtering! Maybe at the same screen size as a 1080p set the eye cant spot the softness unless inches from the screen on a still frame of a game.

TheWraith

I thought Sega Master System was dominant there.

It's strange people in the US seem to make that mistake, I grew up in Europe and the NES was absolutely huge. Master system was that niche console only one kid in the whole school had. In the UK it seems the Master System dominated, and maybe certain other countries in Europe as well?

hzYXaRAl.jpg

That thing most likely converts all standard def to 960i. Though maybe, maybe it converts 240p to proper 2:1 480p, I've been curious about that.

ShowDog

Well I had two kv-27fv300's right next to eachother and thought this is kind of pointless... Maybe for a social gathering it would make sense but no one else cares about the fidelity of a 240p game but myself. So I got a free 30" Trinitron hs420 to replace one of the 300's and it's been great so far. Looks bomb on ps2, 360 is amazing and I'm sure Wii will be a treat. And my other fv300 is sitting waiting for any 240p sources. Eventually I'll post some kind of pictures.

Now I've got 5 CRT's in storage...

Peagles

It's strange people in the US seem to make that mistake, I grew up in Europe and the NES was absolutely huge. Master system was that niche console only one kid in the whole school had. In the UK it seems the Master System dominated, and maybe certain other countries in Europe as well?

I thought Sega Master System was dominant there.

Maybe they're thinking of NZ/AU. We had Master Systems coming out our ears. I only ever knew one person with an NES and I didn't meet them until 2001 and we got it down from the top of his wardrobe to play on a rainy weekend lol.

Khaz

The numbers were relatively even in Europe overall iirc. Some countries had more NES, others had more Master System. But the gap wasn't as wide as in the USA.

Mega

Banned
I have been trying to figure out why Wii U 480p looks so bad (not just in vWii). I assumed it was because Nintendo added a blur filter for whatever reason, but that hardly makes sense since the picture should still have even scanlines and some uniformity. Instead it looks distorted.

I downloaded Zero Mission because I heard the VC GBA games are great. Sure enough, it looks flawless and even has a pixel perfect mode (1440x960 in Wii U's 1080p mode and 960x640 in 720p mode). I captured a few screenshots of these and magnified many times they're still perfectly clean without any blurring, soft edges, distortions or artefacts.

Zero Mission at 480p on the other hand is a mess. The proportions are strangely off and even in pixel perfect mode the game is blurry. This actually makes no sense because GBA games should be a perfect 3x scale (720x480). On the gamepad it is this res and looks correct. On the main screen output, it's not. What I have noticed is that 480p mode (throughout all Wii U and vWii applications) uses one or more strange resolutions that conform to no standard. Neither 16:9 or 4:3 seem to fix this.

This might explain why back in vWii mode, I found it impossible to get evenly spaced artificial scanlines in 240p Suite's 480p mode and a SNES emulator, no matter the resolution settings. 720p and 1080p are non-integer scale so that causes typical unevenness. And 480p mode is spitting out a weird sub-480p res.

I'll post screenshots when I have a chance.

D.Lo

The numbers were relatively even in Europe overall iirc. Some countries had more NES, others had more Master System. But the gap wasn't as wide as in the USA.
Based on the scraps we have in the retro sales-age thread, contrary to the prevailing anecdotal wisdom (probably baed on UK experiences) it really looks like Nintendo probably outsold Sega in PAL territories in the end. But certainly no clean win either way. Master System sales figures are so iffy though.

TeaJay

Well, in Finland the NES was the king. I didn't know anyone who had the master system when growing up. One of my friends had the Megadrive. But everyone, EVERYONE else had the NES.

On the same note, relatively few people had the SNES. Maybe it was like in the AVGN video: "Don't you already have a Nintendo?" but then on the 5th gen EVERYONE had the PS1 again. It was the same basically with PS2 and PS3.

Rich!

I didn't know anyone growing up here in the UK who had a mega drive or master system. It was all SNES, PlayStation and game boy and later N64. One kid I know had a Saturn but the only game he owned was sonic jam.

Krelian

Nintendo was definitely king here in Germany. I knew one guy who had a Master System, a few more with a NES. In the 16-bit era more people seemed to have consoles in general. Most of them had a SNES but I knew a couple of people with a Mega Drive (me included). I actually convinced some friends to get a Mega Drive in favor of a SNES. As far as I know they didn't regret it :)

entremet

hzYXaRAl.jpg

The MLiG guys (Try I think) had a similar TV and was a bit disappointed on how they handled 240p content.

The HD CRTs weren't that great for retro stuff.

See here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAi8AVj9GV8

Start at 18:20

Laser Wolf

Neo Member
Mega, are you using HDMI or component for 480p on the Wii U? I don't have any evidence to support this, but I vaguely recall reading somewhere that 480p over HDMI is not handled well on the Wii U. I wonder if using component for 480p would lead to better results.

Anyway, the Wii is the one console in my setup I'm not fully satisfied with. Right now, I use vWii at 1080p. To me, it looks the best sharpness/color wise, but the scaling issues are well documented in this thread.

Mega

Banned
Mega, are you using HDMI or component for 480p on the Wii U? I don't have any evidence to support this, but I vaguely recall reading somewhere that 480p over HDMI is not handled well on the Wii U. I wonder if using component for 480p would lead to better results.

Anyway, the Wii is the one console in my setup I'm not fully satisfied with. Right now, I use vWii at 1080p. To me, it looks the best sharpness/color wise, but the scaling issues are well documented in this thread.

I'm using HDMI. I would have tried Component but my TV needs a special adapter to connect RCA cables. I think I may stick to playing Wii games on my actual Wii console connected to my 480p CRT. It already looks perfect without all this fiddling I'm doing with the Wii U.

This is in no way scientific BUT the CRTs that handled widescreen HD resolutions all kind of sucked. Back in the day when they were new I spent days researching and trying them out, alot of them had soft images, and EVERY SINGLE ONE of them had geometry issues that even professional repair places couldn't fix. The first place spent 2 weeks working on a Samsung set before finally giving in and telling Samsung to refund my money. CRTs can obviously produce razor sharp images at higher than SD resolutions. So I really think there was something about those widescreen CRTs that just fucked up the geometry handling of the tech. I don't know if there's a widescreen HD P/BVM out there, so maybe my theory is just in consumer sets. I can tell you this though I tried pretty much every model of consumer widescreen HD CRT and they ALL had geometry issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom