• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China confirms lift of console ban in Shanghai, serves as "test-zone"

China confirms foreign game consoles can now be sold

Officials from China's Ministry of Culture say foreign game consoles will be allowed to be sold in the country if manufacturers agree to register in Shanghai's new free trade zone.
game-consoleBut the country's 12-year ban will not be lifted, as game console makers can only sell and promote their products in Shanghai's free trade zone.

According to a report by China Daily, two government officials confirmed a South China Morning Post report last week which revealed foreign game console makers would need to get approval for specific product models, before these can be sold and promoted on the Chinese mainland. Regulatory approval is required to ensure game content are not overly violent and politically sensitive.

Citing an official from the Ministry of Culture, who spoke on condition of anonymity, China Daily said information detailing the entry of foreign game console makers into China woud be incorporated into policies for the free trade zone in Shanghai. These, however, have yet to be officially released by the government.

The Chinese newspaper in January reported the country's 12-year ban on foreign game consoles was under evaluation and would require approval of various ministries to be lifted. Implemented in 2000, the ban was imposed on the manufacturing, sale, and import of game consoles in China over concerns the content would be harmful on the physical and mental development of its young.

China's State Council on July 3 approved the establishment of the free rade zone which will cover 28 square kilometers in Shanghai and serve as a testbed for expanding China's efforts to open up and reform its economic landscape.

"We will track the progress made in this Shanghai pilot program. No one doubts Shanghai's performance will determine our future moves," the government official told China Daily. However, he dismissed suggestions that allowing the sale of foreign game consoles in the free trade zone meant the ban would be lifted. "The ban is still effective."

Chinese gamers have sought out online options in light of the ban, helping China's online games market clock a 39 percent growth rate in 2011 and a projected revenue of US$9.2 billion by 2014.

Major game console makers also are keen to push China to open up its market, Xue Yongfeng, a Beijing-based analyst with Analysys International, said in the China Daily report. "The global game console market has experienced flat growth in recent years. Manufacturers are desperate to find some new revenue drivers and China, of course, has emerged a market target," Xue said.

Despite the ban, Microsoft's motion-sensor game console Kinect was released in mainland China in October 2012, though, the vendor had said the product was not used for games but for other purposes, such as medical treatment and education in the country.

There also are local options. In 2010, Lenovo spun off a company which develops motion-detection game console similar to Microsoft's Kinect. Just last month, the Chinese PC maker said it was adding a games service to offset falling PC sales and reduce reliance on its ThinkPad notebooks. Named Lenovo Game World, the service would include social networking features, software reviews, and gameplay tips.
source: http://www.zdnet.com/cn/china-confirms-foreign-game-consoles-can-now-be-sold-7000018098/

Soviet

Banned
DGzSZ8h.png

antonz

Its a good step forward for the industry but with the kind of terms China has as far as content its going to be a very tough nut to crack for many. Nintendo should do well as far as content that is acceptable though

SparkTR

It's a step in the right direction, but considering everybody in Shanghai already has access to consoles it's almost too small of a step. I agree that content is a more important issue.

Did this ban lead to all the knock offs? If they can buy legit consoles in China I bet PS3 numbers will rise sharply.

The knock-offs were made because of how expensive consoles and games are, not because of the ban. I don't see that changing soon.

Just in time for the always-on Kinect!

Despite the ban, Microsoft's motion-sensor game console Kinect was released in mainland China in October 2012, though, the vendor had said the product was not used for games but for other purposes, such as medical treatment and education in the country.

I bet.

I can't help but think this is some weird ploy to get people to buy an Xbox One so they can spy via Kinect. Seems like something China would be interested in doing.

I'm only partially serious.

Terrell

Regulatory approval is required to ensure game content are not overly violent and politically sensitive.

Well, there goes any hopes of Sony or Microsoft making any major gains in the Chinese market outside of the grey market, since those regulations are INTENSE. The CCP basically handed the market to Nintendo on a silver platter.

Well, there goes any hopes of Sony or Microsoft making any major gains in the Chinese market outside of the grey market, since those regulations are INTENSE. The CCP basically handed the market to Nintendo on a silver platter.

Watch as the games industry begins pandering to China in the same way the movie industry has been lately once they realise how much potential money there is involved.

SparkTR

Watch as the games industry begins pandering to China in the same way the movie industry has been lately once they realise how much potential money there is involved.

They already have in a way. That's the reason why the F2P boom started, at least on PC.

demolitio

Battlefield 4 will remove China and replace them with a reskinned North Korea similar to Red Dawn? :D

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Every recent Chinese immigrant I know is a PC junkie.... usually all about them F2P games.

I consider it a small tragedy. All they know is RTS, FPS and MOBAs.

China needs console games!

Savitar

If consoles are able to eventually fully make it into China that would be certainly huge. I would also be quite curious to see what some Chinese developers might be able to come up with themselves for the systems.

SparkTR

Every recent Chinese immigrant I know is a PC junkie.... usually all about them F2P games.

I consider it a small tragedy. All they know is RTS, FPS and MOBAs.

China needs console games!

They already have console gaming, you can buy PS3s and 360s in every shopping centre in cities, and Nintendo already officially markets their products there. A whole lot of people here think of China as some magic bullet for console sales, that's never going to happen the way people want it to. LAN cafe's, F2P and piracy are too ingrained into the gaming community, it's very much like South Korea.

Mokubba

They already have console gaming, you can buy PS3s and 360s in every shopping centre in cities, and Nintendo already officially markets their products there. A whole lot of people here think of China as some magic bullet for console sales, that's never going to happen the way people want it to. LAN cafe's and F2P are too ingrained into the gaming community, it's very much like South Korea.

But if the ban is lifted wouldn't that mean they have their own PSN, their own PSblog etc.

Anyone can import a console but official support is even better.

Gskyace

Let's say, this won't help. I'm in Shanghai for more than 20 years.

This policy has been known for more than 6 months as least, which I believe both Sony and Microsoft learn that well.
I am not sure Nintendo knows that, because it's not important now. iQue under Nintendo International is almost done.

It's too ridiculous that the news can boost up Nintendo's stock price.

If a full lift of the ban happen, that would mean that there's no reason in maintaining that iQue brand over there, right?

Does Nintendo own the iQue brand and assets or it's just a partnership with some independent company?

Maybe Nintendo could take advantage of it, using the established production chain to manufacture and distribute their Nintendo branded products there.

t26

China also has the strongest community for video game fan translation patch in the world. Games that you could only dream about (Valkyria Chronicles 3, Digimon, Seven Dragon, Summon Nights, Time Traveler, Last Ranker, Super Robot Taisent all got Chinese translation patch).

SparkTR

But if the ban is lifted wouldn't that mean they have their own PSN, their own PSblog etc.

Anyone can import a console but official support is even better.

It would be better, but not massively. PSN already functions the same provided you use PSN cards to buy stuff, the bigger issue is lag due to your distance away from other regions. Like I said, it'll probably be akin to South Korea, which does have official support and yet that place is still a PC LAN gaming zone.

Barzul

This could be big for console makers, might even see some Chinese developers, a country of 1bill+ definitely has some talented developers just waiting for the chance.

magenta

I wonder if one condition for sale is to region lock the console in order to make sure it will only play the games the Ministry of Culture approves, otherwise the regulatory approval process won't be as effective as they think.

Gskyace

If a full lift of the ban happen, that would mean that there's no reason in maintaining that iQue brand over there, right?

Does Nintendo own the iQue brand and assets or it's just a partnership with some independent company?

Maybe Nintendo could take advantage of it, using the established production chain to manufacture and distribute their Nintendo branded products there.

iQue is a partnership company, but I guess Nintendo own iQue's brand and assets.
It's over, people I know were let off two months ago.

Clawww

They already have console gaming, you can buy PS3s and 360s in every shopping centre in cities, and Nintendo already officially markets their products there. A whole lot of people here think of China as some magic bullet for console sales, that's never going to happen the way people want it to. LAN cafe's, F2P and piracy are too ingrained into the gaming community, it's very much like South Korea.

Cafe culture exists because owning your own rig is an expensive burden. Consoles are cheaper, and they also appear more to a younger demographic that may not frequent cafes as much or be as wedded to that culture. Having official support might be enough to make a difference. PSN/XBL could be a big deal. It certainly won't hurt the console market.

Edit: Although yeah, South Korea is still holding true. We'll see if that ends up applying to China as well, but I have a feeling an classic North American experience of broing out over some Halo might go over better there than in Korea.

Gskyace

This could be big for console makers, might even see some Chinese developers, a country of 1bill+ definitely has some talented developers just waiting for the chance.

Only few people still develop single play game on PC in China.
Most of the games are PC MMO,iOS or Android games.

Yeah, people could think about playing Chinese F2P MMO on PS4 or Xbox One.
Only if you want to.As far as I see, no need to. With that money and time, much more fun could be enjoyed.

SparkTR

Cafe culture exists because owning your own rig is an expensive burden. Consoles are cheaper, and they also appear more to a younger demographic that may not frequent cafes as much or be as wedded to that culture. Having official support might be enough to make a difference. PSN/XBL could be a big deal. It certainly won't hurt the console market.

Edit: Although yeah, South Korea is still holding true. We'll see if that ends up applying to China as well, but I have a feeling an classic North American experience of broing out over some Halo might go over better there than in Korea.

The cafe culture is big there because of the social experience just as much as the price. In regards to consoles, the big issue with pricing is the games themselves, you buy a console and you pirate the SP games, that's how it's done there. And even then there is very little value in owning one compared to what they get at LAN cafe's. The people that do want something different from that cafe culture already would have a console by this stage, they're extremely easy to get and use and have their own communities. I can likely guarantee it'll be like South Korea and pretty much every Asian county outside of japan.

Gskyace

Battlefield 4 will remove China and replace them with a reskinned North Korea similar to Red Dawn? :D

There is a list about the banned game.
Sadly, Battlefield 3 is in. I guess BF4 will be there.

Replacement is great. But there is a fun story I could share.
Assassin's Creed III has the chance to get in here, but the government told them to "fix" something. "Steal" is not steal, instead of this, it should be called "borrow".
Meanwhile, the developers don't want to censor the blood. I don't know why, maybe it's too hard or they're too busy.
So, that's it.

Top Bottom